40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    75 minutes on the bike trainer as cross training today. Goal is to maintain aerobic fitness and flush out the legs after 2 hard days of running.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    @caramelgyrlk - you look fabulous! :)

Busy weekend away. DH's Christmas party and precious time with my granddaughter. <3
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    Options
    So, yesterday I was on my glider trying to get minutes for a race challenge that I was part of since it was our last day and our team was trying to beat another that we were tied with. I got in 135 minutes and 9.11 miles...felt like calling 911 after that, especially since Sundays are supposed to be my rest days. We ended up tying the other team for first place overall in the 8 week challenge. Actually, sort of sad the challenge is complete, and hoping they do one in the spring.

Took it easy today and just did some strength training at the gym. Will probably do some planks later, though I'm thinking a mid-day nap may be needed. ;)
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 45, and only got serious about losing weight/getting healthier earlier this year. I recently completed a 3-month LCD program and lost 25.5lbs, and now it's all up to me to keep it going (I still have quite a bit more to lose).

I'm doing ok with my daily calorie goal, but exercise is another story. I'm pretty lazy (with a sedentary job and hobbies), so getting off my butt has been the last piece of this puzzle. But I'm starting to improve: I've gone from walking for 15 minutes @ 2.5mph to walking for 1 mile @ 3mph, and I think I'm about to bump that up. Plus, this morning I finally used my dumbbells for the first time. Granted, I only used 3-lb weights and it was only for 12-minutes -- via a "beginner" workout video I found on YouTube -- but I have zero arm strength and it's a start. :)

Sometimes it can be hard not to kick myself for waiting this long to get my s*** together. Weight loss would have been so much easier 10 years ago...heck, maybe even 5 years ago!
    Samarisa wrote: »
    Just need to learn mature consistency, I think. That impulse kid in a candy-store nonsense has to go.
    When you figure out the secret, please let me know! ;)

• b3achy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 45, and only got serious about losing weight/getting healthier earlier this year. I recently completed a 3-month LCD program and lost 25.5lbs, and now it's all up to me to keep it going (I still have quite a bit more to lose).

I'm doing ok with my daily calorie goal, but exercise is another story. I'm pretty lazy (with a sedentary job and hobbies), so getting off my butt has been the last piece of this puzzle. But I'm starting to improve: I've gone from walking for 15 minutes @ 2.5mph to walking for 1 mile @ 3mph, and I think I'm about to bump that up. Plus, this morning I finally used my dumbbells for the first time. Granted, I only used 3-lb weights and it was only for 12-minutes -- via a "beginner" workout video I found on YouTube -- but I have zero arm strength and it's a start. :)

Sometimes it can be hard not to kick myself for waiting this long to get my s*** together. Weight loss would have been so much easier 10 years ago...heck, maybe even 5 years ago!
    Samarisa wrote: »
    Just need to learn mature consistency, I think. That impulse kid in a candy-store nonsense has to go.
    When you figure out the secret, please let me know! ;)

Welcome!! This thread is great for motivation and for posting your workouts! There are some serious hosses and hossettes in here kicking booty and getting the job done.

I highly recommend perusing the challenge threads at the beginning of each month (though you can also join many of them at mid month with the expectation of trying to do half the challenge of a full month). At least for me, joining a challenge thread or two or three keeps me accountable to workout regularly (truth be told I'm inherently lazy)!

And I can't say enough good about the most recent challenge group I was part of...be on the look out for the next "Amazing Race" - they will post in the Challenge Thread category when they open the next one, hopefully in the spring (Mar or Apr). We just completed our 8 week race (it was at least the second they've done, and my first to participate in). It was a great way to try new workouts (dancing videos, country based workouts (like Radio Taiso from Japan), drumming, stair challenges, a Rockettes workout (for the holidays)) because as we virtually traveled to each new location, the organizer found something unique for us to try based on that country/locale. And being on a team competing with other teams made me not only accountable to logging my workout minutes and doing the challenges, but it also pushed me to work harder to get more minutes (which were considered miles to get to the destination) not to let my team mates down. I think I doubled my workout minutes over my normal while I was in the challenge. Honestly, I'm exhausted after the 8 weeks (and really need to go back to my 'normal' for a bit to recuperate), but it was good motivation to push me farther than I would have pushed myself. They only have 6 teams to fill, so we started with 126 participants, and ended with 120 (with some being switched out from a waiting list during the race as people fell by the wayside). It was AWESOME...and AMAZING...and I highly recommend joining it, if you can get on the teams since they fill up pretty quickly.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 45, and only got serious about losing weight/getting healthier earlier this year..........

@Misnomer971, Congrats on your success so far! And no worries about a late start, you started 10 years earlier than I did.
  • bookchlubla
    bookchlubla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! I'm new to MFP and finding this post is awesome and inspiring....loving it. :)
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    BEAST "rest" day. I went to the gym and threw around the slam balls...'cuz I feel like throwin' stuff today! :)
  • Justme_1
    Justme_1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    49, I did 2 rounds of P90x about 6 years ago, with all the Pull-ups ended up tearing a tendon around my elbow. 2 years ago I started Body Beast, I did 3 rounds of that which I loved. Since then I have modified my weight routines. My goal is to have abs at 50, so I am doing all I can for fat burn. Was around 35-40% 2 years ago, around 23% now.
  • Misnomer971
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    I highly recommend perusing the challenge threads at the beginning of each month (though you can also join many of them at mid month with the expectation of trying to do half the challenge of a full month). At least for me, joining a challenge thread or two or three keeps me accountable to workout regularly (truth be told I'm inherently lazy)!
    Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm definitely not ready for any challenges yet. At this point I'm focused on my self-challenges. ;) I'll keep them in mind, though!

Djproulx wrote: »
    @Misnomer971, Congrats on your success so far! And no worries about a late start, you started 10 years earlier than I did.
    Thanks for the congrats! And it's inspiring to know that change can be effected at any age. :)
  • sdereski
    Options
    Good morning to all the cool kids.
    After a weekend away, hit the streets last night to get a run in. It ended up being more of a walk / run. Lots of snow made running a bit of a challenge again. Still a good workout.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all of you are well. Cross Fit done. I want chocolate cake. I will eat an apple and some pineapple instead. Have a great day kids and welcome Kat911.
  • Misnomer971
    Options
    kat911 wrote: »
    I have logged consistently for also a month and have lost around 5 pounds.
    Awesome! Congrats! :)

• ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    just a shout out to all of us wonderful folks on a path to enriching our lives thru better health... kudos kids!!
  • sdereski
    Options
    Curled last night. Was hoping to get another workout / walk in there but it didn't happen. I keep wanting to start doing my P90X workouts again, but I haven't been able to work up the motivation to do so. Mornings would work best, but I need to get my *kitten* outta bed on time. :p
  • b3achy
    Options
    While some of you are probably digging out from snow, I had a glorious 80F day out on the water...5.3 miles, and I was 20 minutes faster on my new race paddleboard than on my old SUP surfboards. I was out for over two hours which started out foggy, but as the fog lifted it was a glorious sunny day, with a light wind and low to no chop.

Was using the new paddle too, though I didn't notice a huge difference than my old paddle (though a bit less tired since it is a bit lighter). So, at this point, I don't think the paddle has a huge impact on my paddling times, whereas, the board definitely does. Which surprised me because I really thought the paddle would buy me more time. However, I was talking to one of the pros a couple weeks ago, and it seems like the paddle makes a difference depending on the conditions (ie, better to have this type of paddle in smooth conditions or for x length races; whereas, this other paddle is better in choppy conditions or sprints). So much still to learn about this obsession.

After I got home, cleaned the board, and cleaned myself, I went for a walk to the local market (less than a 1/2 mile round trip). So, all in all a nice workout day.
  • kat911
    kat911 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

b3achy wrote: »
    While some of you are probably digging out from snow, I had a glorious 80F day out on the water...5.3 miles,

No snow yet but it's coming :(. I enjoy alittle snow for a short while. Love snowshoeing it's a really great way to see nature and get tough work out.

I made it to gym yesterday but not today so I made it a priority to do alittle jumping on my trampoline to get my heart rate up! Good day!

Still struggling with right food choices