Why I am not going to be posting on help questions anymore.

Options

Replies

• savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Really? You're comparing today's science to knowledge from a century ago? :huh:

Often, many of us provide facts in the hope of helping someone avoid myths and fallacies that have lead many to failure in the past. How is that not helpful? Often, the truth is not what one wants to hear, and they get buttsore about it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Yes I am. And in 100 years people will look back and say that we are in the dark ages. And it will continue until humans no longer exist. What is not helpful is the condescending attitude that often comes along with it. Much like the attitude you are displaying in
    your post. That is exactly what the newbies do not need. And yet here you are trying to do it to me. But I know what I am saying and what I mean.
    Your "facts" may not agree with my "facts." They both might have "scientific" testing behind them, and they may totally disagree with each other.
    You think I am ignorant? That is the exact point of this thread. Thank you for proving my point.

Actually, this post right here? Is ignorant.

I have no problems with your body and the diet you've found that works for it. But you clearly have no idea how science actually works.

Wow , how could this make someone uncomfortable ?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    OUCH!
    I know I can be a bit fast to get to the point as I see it.

That's what works with me - no wishy washy - nampy pamby beating around the bush or avoiding the 1000lb elephant in the room.

I don't mean to be unkind, but sometimes in a public forum you don't always hear what you want to hear.
    I would never lie to you.

I dont see you as one of the jerks though. You do always give very good, insightful, and logical information. Sometimes your delivery is quick and to the point, I dont think that is the issue at hand though. There ARE some people who are just mean. You are honest, not mean. At first you kinda came off wrong to me, but as I read your responses, I actually came to respect your opinions on a lot of stuff. I may not always LIKE your answers, but I do consider them as a legitimate source of opinion.
    :drinker: Thanks...

I just know I can't personalize everything I don't agree with.

In life, people with thin skin, a chip on their shoulder and an ego that's easily bruised never seem to get very far.
    And they blame the world for their failures.

Count me out of that herd.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What!? Not everything's true on the Internet? I must console myself with a red scarf.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There are so many people on here that talk as if the way they are telling people to eat is the only way. I am fed up with people answering newbies questions with a condiscending tone. I eat the way I do because it works for my body. People out there are asking for help for a particular diet plan and people who don't like it blast them. Guess what? that wasn't what they asked!

If they want to know about how you eat, they will ask for that kind of help!

Just about ANY major diet plan is better than taking diabetes pills for the rest of your life! So, back off "know-it-alls"!
    These newbies don't need the attitude. They probably feel sheepish enough just coming on here. They probably have been teased and taunted for years, just to come here and be talked down to. Great, that's what they need.
    So many people like to say "it's a published fact that...." Really? You want to go there? It was also a public fact that you had to burn witches. It was also "Medically" correct to blood let. So, don't give me your lecture about this stuff.

If you want to help people, do so in a polite way. Answer their questions. Don't bash their diet. Be constructive in your criticism.

With 89 total posts(2-3 of them in this thread), I don't think this is going to be some major blow to the forum.

This really gets a great response from someone you are trying to shed the light of truth on , great attack !
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you needed to make a post telling everyone you're not going to post...
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Red Scarf!

scarf.jpg
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Red Scarf!

scarf.jpg
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Red Scarf!

scarf.jpg

Thanks! Couldn't get it to display! :smile:
  • rainedragon
    rainedragon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the internet? I mean, I don't mean to be rude, but... yeah. That's kind of just how people are in general. If someone believes something is true, and they are given an option to explain what they believe and take it up, then when their belief is challenged they generally are going to argue it. You could be talking about the best way to store socks and you would get the same thing.

Just ignore it if it bothers you, or post good information.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Posting peer reviewed studies to back up your point or to show why someone else is giving bad information is helpful, as at least the person knows it's backed with something other then let's say Dr Oz's or Jillian's opinion. If the person wants to read the full study, they are more then welcome to

And somatypes are what people use an excuse

Ok, I'm all for making sure we give sound advice or suggestions, but I will say posting a "peer-reviewed" article doesn't solve the problem. This process is a learning process, what works for your body may not work for others. We can post all the "peer-reviewed" articles we want just to make us look smart, but in reality how are we helping the individual? All we are doing is showing that we've learned how to conduct the research we need to help ourselves. Suggesting they look up information for themself and their body types and giving them links to helpful articles allows them to read for themselves and learn how to make decisions for themselves based on their individual needs. That means instead of posting a "peer-reviewed" article, posting some suggestions or links that allows them to do the research for themself. Because in the end, we've all had to learn how to work our weight loss journey on our own. If we relied on having others tell us what to do, we may have lost the weight, but how would we have learned that weightloss is a lifestyle change that involves our emotional well being as well as our physical well being? As for being snarky or rude, maybe you should remember how it felt to be new and in there position. Even posting an article is fine, but when it's done with a condescending tone or intent, it's worthless. Admitting that you've been a bit "snarky" at times only tells me that you as well as many others should think before you post. And if you know you're not able to post something encouraging or something helpful with an encouraging intent, then don't bother posting until you can. Because believe it or not, many people didn't join this site just for social interaction, they joined because they needed support when they may not have been getting it from those immediately around them. How nice to come here only to find they can be treated no different, and feel even more alone in their weight loss struggles. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter if we post "peer-reviewed" articles or links to articles, if we're rude or snarky when we do so the information we posted isn't work crap!
  • aerdna88
    aerdna88 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do have to admit that I came here to read...never planned on posting or anything. I heard this place was GREAT....but I read more rude responses on here than I can believe!! I would be upset if I came here to ask a question and got rude responses, people making fun of my question, telling me to learn to use the search bar (which I do use...but some people may not realize it's there)....it's a great place to get information...but you better believe I will NEVER ask a question on here for fear of what might come in the responses. Sometimes I think that if I were the original poster, I would not come back!! It's sad really...especially for those of us just starting out. We dont know people on here yet or get their humor!

Anyway, great post here....thanks for posting!!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    The simple truth is that it is always the same people. I think forum rules do not allow to "call out" members but let's all be real. If you look back through the majority of the posts where someone has been treated incorrectly - you will most likely find the same handful of people - always. You know who you are. You find ways to justify your actions in an attempt to justify treating others poorly. I hope I never find a reason to justify treating someone like they are dirt. I am human and I make mistakes but I hurt when I hurt others - whether I've done it intentionally or not. There is never a good justification for being mean - two wrongs do not make a right.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Some people feel better about themselves when criticizing others. Unfortunately message boards give them a place to make themselves feel very wise and smart.
    Sharing what has worked for me and has NOT worked for me with someone who asks for it actually helps me stay on track (even if I have to put a 100 word disclaimer before my comment). I've also learned to make sure the poster is asking for help and not just venting. I've made that mistake - someone was venting so I put in my two cents to help - YIKES!
    Which is why I'm not gving you advice:-)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The simple truth is that it is always the same people. I think forum rules do not allow to "call out" members but let's all be real. If you look back through the majority of the posts where someone has been treated incorrectly - you will most likely find the same handful of people - always. You know who you are. You find ways to justify your actions in an attempt to justify treating others poorly. I hope I never find a reason to justify treating someone like they are dirt. I am human and I make mistakes but I hurt when I hurt others - whether I've done it intentionally or not. There is never a good justification for being mean - two wrongs do not make a right.

I agree. There are a handful of MFPers who post nothing but sarcastic one liners. Then, when one posts, the others join in and add on. There's not much you can do to stop them. They're on every forum. They ooze pollution, and that's how they like it.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i think everyone just tends to get butt hurt when we don't agree with their views of a certain subject, and feel like we're trying to put them down when people provide them with information to back a claim.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    There are number of very knowledgeable posters on this site who feel very passionately about not allowing myths and bad information to perpetuate. If someone is recommending unhealthy/unhelpful techniques, they are quick to jump in to correct the information. I'm not sure if that is to whom you are referring, but if it is, I would rather they continue to do what they do, because it is a kindness in the long run.

Of course people shouldn't be rude, but the concept of rudeness is subjective. As another poster said, criticism of an idea is not the same as criticism of a person.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There are number of very knowledgeable posters on this site who feel very passionately about not allowing myths and bad information to perpetuate. If someone is recommending unhealthy/unhelpful techniques, they are quick to jump in to correct the information. I'm not sure if that is to whom you are referring, but if it is, I would rather they continue to do what they do, because it is a kindness in the long run.

Of course people shouldn't be rude, but the concept of rudeness is subjective. As another poster said, criticism of an idea is not the same as criticism of a person.

Exactly right.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options

Bingo.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Yes, but there is a difference between being helpful and being rude. If you are constantly being called out for being rude, then chances are you are being rude. Take a moment to evaluate yourself - perception is often reality.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    896054b6-c950-40f5-904c-d5c96fccd905.jpg