Why I am not going to be posting on help questions anymore.

Options
12345679»

Replies

• goalblessing
    goalblessing Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As a newbie who signed up today, I appreciate your response!:flowerforyou:
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with constructive criticism if it is put in a nice and helpful way. Especially when you see someone who posts here is doing something that you're absolutely sure will harm them in the end, it's totally okay to let them know and provide them with any important information you may have on the matter. If people just bash other people's effort, however - and luckily, I haven't witnessed this here, yet - well, that just sucks!

As a rule, I try to always ask WHY if I don't understand something. There may always been a health reason behind it or the person was advised to do what they do by a doctor or personal trainer or whoever. Which you won't know unless you ask BEFORE judging them.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The problem is not that people need to learn how to search and find their own information, but that so much poor information is thrown around on MFP forums especially to newbies, which is really unhelpful and can be downright dangerous depending on the information and how people take it. Pointing them to good information that is reputable is absolutely helpful and requires them to do a little reading and hunting to get the most of it for them. Again, I'm talking about real science here, not some broscience articles in a magazine or online newsletter.

Everyone wants to believe that they are "different" but the truth is we are all subject to the laws of nature and physics, and the research that most of us cite here is research that applies to everyone. Yes, I understand there are people with medical or physical issues who are the exception, but if you are a healthy adult, your metabolism works just like everyone else's does. Your eating habits may differ. Your preferences may differ. Your rate of metabolism maybe SLIGHTLY different, but your the way your body works (catabolism, metabolism, etc.) is the same. The processes are universal, which is why applying information based on those pesky science publications isn't nearly as difficult as people like to make it out to be.
    Admitting that you've been a bit "snarky" at times only tells me that you as well as many others should think before you post.

I do think before I post. Yes, I am blunt, but I don't engage in name-calling or other behavior, and most of my friends on MFP I've met in the forums have thanked me for my bluntness and encouragement. People who come on here expecting to be coddled and spoonfed information, which really gets them absolutley nowhere in understanding how their bodies work and what it means to lose weight and reduce risk factors. As a result, a lot of folks get sucked into the pseudoscience (low carb, HCG, no white food, etc.) that has no scientific basis for healthy adults. There's no point in treating people like ignorant schoolchildren when they are fully capable of learning and understanding the actual science behind what everyone is talking about to make a good informed decision for themselves.

The problem is that people on here get so upset if someone challenges their beliefs and end up taking it personally, at which point their capacity for absorbing new information is shot and they continue to believe whatever they want. It's sad, but it's the truth.
    [/quote]

There may be people that expect to be spoon fed, but lets face it, if that's their frame of mind, then they really aren't at a place where they realize the committment and self motivation behind making a lifestyle change such as losing weight. So whether they are spoon fed or preached at isn't going to make a difference. However, I feel that there is a way to encourage someone to start taking their own steps. Being supportive doesn't mean we are spoon feeding them or that we have to. It also doesn't mean that we have to make them feel bad for asking, however you mention that these scientific articles are not as difficult as people make them to be, well the point I'm trying to get at is for someone who's new and learning, it just may be confusing and overwhelming. This is why I feel we can be supportive, but not bombard them in a way that makes them make bad choices such as diet pills, etc..