Real women have curves - curves do not equal rolls

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree!

I hate ad campaigns that celebrate "real women" but still show unhealthy, obese women. Dove soap comes to mind.

Huh? None of these women look obese or unhealthy: http://www.dove.us/Social-Mission/campaign-for-real-beauty.aspx

I would rather those bodies be the ideal than this: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_V-Neck-Sleeveless-Chiffon-Column-Dress-VW360027_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-White-by-Vera-Wang-Bridesmaids

Real women understand that real women come in all shapes and sizes. If the bridesmaid above comes by that body in a healthy manner, great for her. But I know darn well that I wouldn't be healthy that thin... last time my arms looked like that, I was a 60# eleven year old who just went through a growth spurt.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I hate this saying, because *all* women are "real women", no matter if they're fat, thin, tall, short, skinny or curvy.
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree!

I hate ad campaigns that celebrate "real women" but still show unhealthy, obese women. Dove soap comes to mind.

I don't know that I would consider any one of the women on the Dove commercials "obese." They're probably more at the higher end of their BMI.

Yeah they are definitely not obese.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    I think this whole idea is setting one's self up for failure. It's all good and well for those that are able to obtain a supermodel figure...I think the goal should not necessarily be to have a perfect body...but a healthy one. Everything in moderation-this means diet and exercise. Some people will never be below a size 10-and yet they live a healthy lifestyle. Some people can't put on a pound to save their lives-pencil thin regardless of what they eat. Overall health is the goal. I try not to focus on my body size/shape-it's setting myself up for dissappointment. If I remain a size 6 for eternity but I'm working out and eating right (which I aim to do as a dietitian and as a person with juvenile diabetes)-that's good enough for me.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    What's said is Brittney Spears was called "fat" during this time:

070910_spears_vmed_6p.grid-4x2.jpg

And when she was, I was thinking, "WOW! If that's fat, then I must be morbidly obese at 170 lbs (at the time)!" I would be more than happy with her body shape and size in the picture rather than the one I'm working on perfecting now! LOL

WOW! I'd be happy to have that waist!!!

Me too. It would be the best 30 seconds of her life!
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Huh? None of these women look obese or unhealthy: http://www.dove.us/Social-Mission/campaign-for-real-beauty.aspx

I would rather those bodies be the ideal than this: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_V-Neck-Sleeveless-Chiffon-Column-Dress-VW360027_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-White-by-Vera-Wang-Bridesmaids

Real women understand that real women come in all shapes and sizes. If the bridesmaid above comes by that body in a healthy manner, great for her. But I know darn well that I wouldn't be healthy that thin... last time my arms looked like that, I was a 60# eleven year old who just went through a growth spurt.

If the woman in the dove ad.. yes up there^^^^^^ is obese, then I must be morbidly obese. Yeah I don't think so! I am in my right category just on the higher side.
  • TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass figure, and I have my entire life (even in 6th grade lol early bloomer). Large chest, large, bony hips, narrower waist. I hate it when people equate "curves" to a nicer way of saying "rolls". I don't have rolls. I never had rolls. But I do have "curves".

And those of you that really wish you had an hourglass, it has it's own annoying parts. Like trying to buy a shirt, but only being able to have it fit your boobs or your waist. To get one big enough for your boobs, it's HUGE on the waist. To get one to fit your waist, it looks awkwardly tight in the chest. To get pants that fit over your hips, they are much bigger than your waist etc. But corsets fit well. :)
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Real women don't hang out with Yankees players.

They hang out with hockey players.

Who-hooo!!! :smile:
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been addressed, but I can't find an exact quote that fits. Some of us will never have "curves" that meet today's society's norm. I am thrilled that women who have a more hour glass figure and more ample measurements are finally getting recognition they deserve. Once upon a time, that was the desired look. Then it became "stick thin". No matter where our popular tastes seemed to lead, someone has always been left out. I will never have curves, unless you count the ratio between shoulders and waist. What I wish is that every body type could be accepted and celebrated so that as long as we are fit we can still feel beautiful. It's too late for me, since old will never be beautiful, but it is a wish I have for all of my younger friends and family members. I just don't want anyone else wasting time wishing they could be "like' something that isn't natural for them. Find your best and feel beautiful in it.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I think the whole real women have saying is a bunch of bullsh*t
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dammit, I am so sick of women being defined by their body shape. How come real men are defined by their attitudes / behaviours & not their body shape?

Because men invented it.

I hate this reverse sexism of blaming men for female body issues... I hear so many women say this, and it's complete b.s.!!!!! Women are more judgmental of each other than men are of us. Honestly, I've NEVER heard a man say "real women have curves"... I only hear if from curvy women who are upset when the man in their life says a thinner women is attractive.

If women want to be treated equally, they should behave equally. I've seen too many women play the "helpless girl" and I've seen too many women be treated equally, as they claim they want, but then complain about not being treated differently.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have curves when I stand up. I have rolls when I sit down.

This! Aiming to have curves both when I stand and sit!
  • dontwantausername1
    dontwantausername1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All they really are saying that some women are using the term "curves" too loosely. It annoys me when very obese women say " I'm not fat, I'm curvey and voluptuous. " I'm sorry, but no, you're fat. -____-
    ( I feel okay saying this because I too was once fat. No I did not try to say I was "curvey". I took it for what it was)

I always think that. You get these insanely obese people saying that they are "curvalicious" and what. No, you are not "curvalicious" you are FAT. Curvacious, voluptuous...no. Voluptuous was Marilyn Monroe. Hips, boobs, and a small waist are considered voluptuous, curvacious, and well-endowed. Not someone who is a size 30. I'm curvy and I find that offensive. When I was thin, I had the "curvy" hourglass body. Now, not as much. When you're fat you actually lose your curves because your waist grows out to meet your hips. Just another thing made up to make fat people feel better, while still making size 0 look better. At the same time, they are also bringing down the hourglass, regular, in-shape curvy person like Jessica by comparing her body to someone who is obese.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I agree!

I don't know that I would consider any one of the women on the Dove commercials "obese." They're probably more at the higher end of their BMI.

This.^^^^^

I particularly enjoy the Dove ads and think they're beautiful.

Ditto...I doubt the Dove women are obese.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    So, do many of us remember where this started from (a few seem to). It was a response to the trend that we (our society) has had of shifting the supposed ideal female body to thinner and thinner - that supermodels have become so incredibly skinny that it is an unrealistic goal and many women compare themselves and despair.

In that frame, the campaign was a good one. It was a reminder that supermodels aren't the typical, or even the healthy, representation of us. We need to celebrate our own healthy, beautiful selves, embrace our curves (or straights or whatever body shape God and/or genetics gave us).

But I think it has been taken too far. I see women, friends of mine, and even family, using it as justification for being overweight (or even in the obese range), eating horribly, exercising little or never, and doing nothing about it.

We are all here, I am sure, because we want a healthier body. We may be motivated simply by health, we may be motivated by wanting to look better in a dress, jeans, a bikini, or even just in the mirror for ourselves, we may be doing it for someone else. But we also need to recognize that most of us won't look like the runway models, or Victoria's Secret's models (who admittedly have curves) or even the woman next to us. We will look like a healthier version of ourselves. And that is good.
  • dontwantausername1
    Options
    We will look like a healthier version of ourselves. And that is good.

---
    A thin, bikini ready, version of myself. And that is good!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I agree!

This.^^^^^

In all seriousness... I think first you have to realize the whole BMI scale is a joke.

<--- I'm considered obese.
  • dontwantausername1
    Options
    In all seriousness... I think first you have to realize the whole BMI scale is a joke.

---
    Totally agree. I don't know why people swear by it.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to touch the real women part. With a stick.

I will agree that curves=/=rolls but I would hardly consider Jessica Biel curvy. She's fit, in shape, has a great body, but she is not what I'd call curvy. When I think curvy I think of women like Marilyn Monroe, Christina Hendricks, Demi Lovato(post rehab), Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson(after Weight Watchers). Smaller more defined waists, hips, a bit chesty, and yes a little round in the tummy for most of them. That's not to say there is anything wrong with girls built like Jessica Biel, she is gorgeous. It's just not what I'd call curvy.

And I also know women who can eat and eat and eat(all of the worst foods for you) and never even gain an ounce. I'm friends with a girl who is built more athletically(very straight lined) and it makes her sad and jealous of me. I really think we all just need to accept our body types for what they are. I will never look like Jessica Biel. I'm okay with that.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I agree!

This.^^^^^

<--- I'm considered obese.

I agree with you, actually. :) But I was trying to make the point that they are not obese, just maybe at the higher end of their "acceptable" weight. :)