Real women have curves - curves do not equal rolls

Options

Replies

• twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So, do many of us remember where this started from (a few seem to). It was a response to the trend that we (our society) has had of shifting the supposed ideal female body to thinner and thinner - that supermodels have become so incredibly skinny that it is an unrealistic goal and many women compare themselves and despair.

In that frame, the campaign was a good one. It was a reminder that supermodels aren't the typical, or even the healthy, representation of us. We need to celebrate our own healthy, beautiful selves, embrace our curves (or straights or whatever body shape God and/or genetics gave us).

But I think it has been taken too far. I see women, friends of mine, and even family, using it as justification for being overweight (or even in the obese range), eating horribly, exercising little or never, and doing nothing about it.

We are all here, I am sure, because we want a healthier body. We may be motivated simply by health, we may be motivated by wanting to look better in a dress, jeans, a bikini, or even just in the mirror for ourselves, we may be doing it for someone else. But we also need to recognize that most of us won't look like the runway models, or Victoria's Secret's models (who admittedly have curves) or even the woman next to us. We will look like a healthier version of ourselves. And that is good.

^^^ this.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I have curves when I stand up. I have rolls when I sit down.

This! Aiming to have curves both when I stand and sit!

And I have abs when I turn to the side, flex really hard and squint my eyes while looking in the mirror! hehehe!
  • soonerthanlater
    soonerthanlater Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has already been addressed, but I can't find an exact quote that fits. Some of us will never have "curves" that meet today's society's norm. I am thrilled that women who have a more hour glass figure and more ample measurements are finally getting recognition they deserve. Once upon a time, that was the desired look. Then it became "stick thin". No matter where our popular tastes seemed to lead, someone has always been left out. I will never have curves, unless you count the ratio between shoulders and waist. What I wish is that every body type could be accepted and celebrated so that as long as we are fit we can still feel beautiful. It's too late for me, since old will never be beautiful, but it is a wish I have for all of my younger friends and family members. I just don't want anyone else wasting time wishing they could be "like' something that isn't natural for them. Find your best and feel beautiful in it.

Don't count yourself out. Some of the most beautiful women I've met consider themselves "old". Seen Blythe Danner, Meryl Streep or Helen Mirren lately? Age is a number. Real men (including myself and most of my friends) are attracted to attitude, personality, presence. Decide you are beautiful and you are.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think this can be a problematic phrase. I know many pencil-shaped women, and they will never have curves nor the coveted hourglass figure, regardless of weight.

I'm lucky enough to have been blessed with an hourglass, so I can't know what that feels like from experience, but I prefer to think that "real" women come in all shapes and sizes! Rolls definitely aren't healthy, this is true. :)
    Agreed. "Real" women come in many shapes and not all have curves.

But I do agree that there's a major difference between being curvy and being overweight. I'm an hourglass. I'm curvy whether I'm 200 pounds or 90 pounds because of bone structure, not the amount of fat on my body.
  • Personally I think the entire phrase is offensive. I know some girls who are tiny with extremly fast metabolisms. They wish they could gain weight because of people saying things like "Real women have curves". Real women are women who respect themselves.

saw somebody already mentioned this,but I still stand by it.

I like that, women who respect themselfs will alawys have the respect of others no matter what shape
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass figure, and I have my entire life (even in 6th grade lol early bloomer). Large chest, large, bony hips, narrower waist. I hate it when people equate "curves" to a nicer way of saying "rolls". I don't have rolls. I never had rolls. But I do have "curves".

And those of you that really wish you had an hourglass, it has it's own annoying parts. Like trying to buy a shirt, but only being able to have it fit your boobs or your waist. To get one big enough for your boobs, it's HUGE on the waist. To get one to fit your waist, it looks awkwardly tight in the chest. To get pants that fit over your hips, they are much bigger than your waist etc. But corsets fit well. :)
    Stretchy fabrics for tops and midrise pants/jeans. Trust me!

And if Brittney is fat in that picture, then my goal is to be fat!
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the entire phrase is offensive. I know some girls who are tiny with extremly fast metabolisms. They wish they could gain weight because of people saying things like "Real women have curves". Real women are women who respect themselves.

saw somebody already mentioned this,but I still stand by it.

I like that, women who respect themselfs will alawys have the respect of others no matter what shape

^^^^THIS so it seems like alot of people hear ave said that cause my curves are rolls too im not a "real" woman??
    I hate this thread this is really demeaning towards some!!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness... I think first you have to realize the whole BMI scale is a joke.

<--- I'm considered obese.

Yes, this is what I was thinking.

As for blaming men, that is also a joke. The standard of beauty isn't decided by them. It is decided by the fashion industry. News Flash: The fashion industry is run mostly by women (ok, and gay men, but they don't count in this conversation because we are making an assumption/claim about men who are sexually attracted to women) . Women are constantly judging themselves and others because we are brainwashed from the time we are still little girls by magazines, advertisements, and what we see on TV and in the movies. We think we are supposed to look just like those women. Well, those people are airbrushed, they starve themselves, do drugs, have the best personal trainers, etc. THOSE are not representatives of "real women."

If you showed men a picture of "fat" Britney Spears and asked them what they thought of her body, they'd think it was great. Men loved the women of Hollywood in the Golden Age, but by today's standard they are overweight. Sure, there are some guys out there who like that rail thin look. Sure, there are men who treat their women like crap and berate them for carrying that extra 10 pounds. But those guys aren't representative of most men. To blame them for the current unrealistic standards of beauty is ridiculous and ignorant.

Sure, some extra weight is unhealthy, but let's be clear here. A woman who has a teeny little roll sometimes when she sits down isn't overweight. She's normal. If you disagree, you are probably brainwashed. You better check yo self before you wreck yo self.
  • MrsKunz
    Options
    I agree!

I hate ad campaigns that celebrate "real women" but still show unhealthy, obese women. Dove soap comes to mind.

I don't know that I would consider any one of the women on the Dove commercials "obese." They're probably more at the higher end of their BMI.

This.^^^^^

I particularly enjoy the Dove ads and think they're beautiful.

Ditto...I doubt the Dove women are obese.

In all seriousness... I think first you have to realize the whole BMI scale is a joke.

I agree with you, actually. :) But I was trying to make the point that they are not obese, just maybe at the higher end of their "acceptable" weight. :)

I hate BMI its ridiculous! My goal weight is 175lbs and that is considered obese for my height at 5'1? Excuse me that was what i weighted at size 7/8? thats obese.... uhhhh no!!!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    All they really are saying that some women are using the term "curves" too loosely. It annoys me when very obese women say " I'm not fat, I'm curvey and voluptuous. " I'm sorry, but no, you're fat. -____-
    ( I feel okay saying this because I too was once fat. No I did not try to say I was "curvey". I took it for what it was)

I always think that. You get these insanely obese people saying that they are "curvalicious" and what. No, you are not "curvalicious" you are FAT. Curvacious, voluptuous...no. Voluptuous was Marilyn Monroe. Hips, boobs, and a small waist are considered voluptuous, curvacious, and well-endowed. Not someone who is a size 30. I'm curvy and I find that offensive. When I was thin, I had the "curvy" hourglass body. Now, not as much. When you're fat you actually lose your curves because your waist grows out to meet your hips. Just another thing made up to make fat people feel better, while still making size 0 look better. At the same time, they are also bringing down the hourglass, regular, in-shape curvy person like Jessica by comparing her body to someone who is obese.
    :drinker:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    All they really are saying that some women are using the term "curves" too loosely. It annoys me when very obese women say " I'm not fat, I'm curvey and voluptuous. " I'm sorry, but no, you're fat. -____-
    ( I feel okay saying this because I too was once fat. No I did not try to say I was "curvey". I took it for what it was)

I always think that. You get these insanely obese people saying that they are "curvalicious" and what. No, you are not "curvalicious" you are FAT. Curvacious, voluptuous...no. Voluptuous was Marilyn Monroe. Hips, boobs, and a small waist are considered voluptuous, curvacious, and well-endowed. Not someone who is a size 30. I'm curvy and I find that offensive. When I was thin, I had the "curvy" hourglass body. Now, not as much. When you're fat you actually lose your curves because your waist grows out to meet your hips. Just another thing made up to make fat people feel better, while still making size 0 look better. At the same time, they are also bringing down the hourglass, regular, in-shape curvy person like Jessica by comparing her body to someone who is obese.
    :drinker:
    The question I have is why would anyone even give a crap about a person who is truly overweight saying they are curvy? Why is that offensive to curvy women of a healthy weight? I'll tell you why. It's because these offended people are insecure. It's not affecting your life. It's a f*cking label. Labels are pointless. I'm a brunette. If a blonde calls herself a brunette, I'm still a brunette. I don't become a grey haired nappy head. Our culture has this need to beat down people who aren't perfect. If someone is content with being truly overweight, that's their right. Sure, it's unhealthy, but it's their business. Why are you making it your business? Unless it's a family member or someone you love whose health is truly at risk, it makes no sense for you to give it a second thought. Stop being so insecure and just live your life.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who has said that real women come in all shapes and sizes. Being curvy is more a matter of genetics than how much fat you have or don't have. That's why I think it's silly to be either proud or ashamed of your shape. It's not an accomplishment. Like your eye color, it's what you were born with. Instead, take pride in how well you take care of that shape you were born with. :smile:
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Real women don't hang out with Yankees players.

YESSSSSS
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I agree!

I hate ad campaigns that celebrate "real women" but still show unhealthy, obese women. Dove soap comes to mind.

Huh? None of these women look obese or unhealthy: http://www.dove.us/Social-Mission/campaign-for-real-beauty.aspx

I would rather those bodies be the ideal than this: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_V-Neck-Sleeveless-Chiffon-Column-Dress-VW360027_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-White-by-Vera-Wang-Bridesmaids

Real women understand that real women come in all shapes and sizes. If the bridesmaid above comes by that body in a healthy manner, great for her. But I know darn well that I wouldn't be healthy that thin... last time my arms looked like that, I was a 60# eleven year old who just went through a growth spurt.
    AMEN!
  • xoSundaydrive
    Options
    Actually there are plus size girls out there that have amazing curves. Way to bring people down on this site. We are all here for our health and to get in shape. Also I hate the whole real women have curves thing, real women come in all shapes in sizes.
  • MrsKunz
    Options
    I always thought real women had vaginas...there are millions of amazing, world changing women and putting them into a "box" is very unwomanly...mayne instead of judging and hating each other we should unite and uplift each other to be healthy and confident! VAGINAS UNITE!

VAGINAS UNITE!!! VAGINAS UNITE!!!

Love this!!!
  • Renabee
    Options
    'Real' women doesnt have to have curves, some people don't have curves.
    REAL women needs to have a vagina.
    End of story x.x
  • xoSundaydrive
    Options
    'Real' women doesnt have to have curves, some people don't have curves.
    REAL women needs to have a vagina.
    End of story x.x

AMEN.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Then there are women who are genetically female, and look female, but might not have a vagina!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Yes, this is what I was thinking.

As for blaming men, that is also a joke. The standard of beauty isn't decided by them. It is decided by the fashion industry. News Flash: The fashion industry is run mostly by women (ok, and gay men, but they don't count in this conversation because we are making an assumption/claim about men who are sexually attracted to women) . Women are constantly judging themselves and others because we are brainwashed from the time we are still little girls by magazines, advertisements, and what we see on TV and in the movies. We think we are supposed to look just like those women. Well, those people are airbrushed, they starve themselves, do drugs, have the best personal trainers, etc. THOSE are not representatives of "real women."

If you showed men a picture of "fat" Britney Spears and asked them what they thought of her body, they'd think it was great. Men loved the women of Hollywood in the Golden Age, but by today's standard they are overweight. Sure, there are some guys out there who like that rail thin look. Sure, there are men who treat their women like crap and berate them for carrying that extra 10 pounds. But those guys aren't representative of most men. To blame them for the current unrealistic standards of beauty is ridiculous and ignorant.

Sure, some extra weight is unhealthy, but let's be clear here. A woman who has a teeny little roll sometimes when she sits down isn't overweight. She's normal. If you disagree, you are probably brainwashed. You better check yo self before you wreck yo self.

Yeah! Check before you wreck!