Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options

Replies

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness doesn't allow deadlifts, partly because the grunting is intimidating.
    What the actual *kitten*?

No lie. If you go into a PF and try to do a deadlift, they hit the Lunk Alarm.

That is, if you can find something to do a deadlift with...they no longer have free weights from what I understand.

They also bang the Lunk Alarm if you walk around with a gallon of water.

Not sure if all locations are like this, but seems like corporate policy.
  • taelech
    taelech Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if it helps you get that last rep out, grunt all you want. The only time I scream like Conan is when I am saying "Take it! Take it!" to my spotter. :smile:
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good topic i've wondered about this too - i use my mp3 player probably like most of you and the earphones broke the other day and i wasnt even aware of the noises i made until i was without music. I'm not saying i make big noises but when i am doing sit ups or press ups i have noticed - i will say im not looking for attention though its just natural i guess like a blow off valve on a car

On another note the guy next to me once in the gym was doing bicep curls, lifting quite a bit, veins popped etc, not too much grunting going on but then there was a long squeek and a pretty eye watering smell.
  • Lindsay543
    Options
    Hey! I don't notice - and if the noises are loud enough that i hear them over my music then i think i smile a bit - cause they are getting a really good workout! :) Noises are not a bother - now visible sweat left on a machine or sprayed on me by the person next to me - now that's what annoys me! :)
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    But noise does not correlate with weights being too heavy. If I can complete the lift with good form, in control, from start to finish without dropping them

^^^ Yes exactly - without dropping them - slamming them - throwing them on the floor. That is what's obnoxious.
    Sometimes with certain lifts like dead lifts or military presses - if you don't have a spotter, I can see making noise putting the weight down. Otherwise it's just being loud and lazy. Most people I witness slamming weights so loud it's startling are NOT doing those lifts - they are the loud lazy type.

Grunting... heavy breathing... other noises - whatever - who cares?
  • pamollygram
    Options
    it doesn't bother me. I just think they are lifting real heavy weights and it helps to yell out. If that is what they have to do it doesn't bother me. I think if it does bother a woman they should go workout at an all female gym.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I always think that they guy making the noise is lifting beyond their capabilities, (sorry guys! )
    I absolutely disagree. You are actually pushing yourself to you capabilities.

Seconded. If you're not grunting, breathing heavy or cursing, you're not working hard enough.

This ^

If you are exhaling like you should be when lifting it will be audible...doesn't have to be deafening but should be heard.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    A little bit of noise is fine. You're working hard, I get it. When I work out, I occasionally grunt and groan too. I was once working so hard that a noise came out of my mouth that wouldn't have sounded out of place in an adult video (luckily it wasn't that loud, albeit pretty embarrassing to me)!

However, these people (usually men, sorry guys!) who scream and slam their weights down really piss me off. I was once on an elliptical, waaay on the other side of the very large gym from the weights section. Every single time this guy would lift a weight, he would full on yell. It was really off-putting and just came across like he was trying to show off. I felt like telling him to just get the penis enlargement.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

That such a thing even exists is pretty insulting. So because we choose to work out in a way that could be intimidating to others, we're labelled as mindless ogres? I'm glad there's no such thing here, and although my gym company mostly provides general fitness facilities, there is the Steel option when you're past that where the heavy weights and MMA training equipment are kept seperate from the general gym goers.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What I do try to be conscious of is cursing with earbuds in. Especially when i am right up to the breaking point and i fall short of my expectations.... The Jersey in me comes out, but i figure it is nothing that the others have not heard before in a Tarantino of Kevin Smith film
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to be pretty quiet in the gym when I went there and I did used to work very hard.

I didnt personally like the "grunt and groan" brigade who used to spend a lot more time looking in the mirror and thinking about lifting the weight than actually doing much. But each to their own. I was there to do my reps and get out, they used to get the girls :)

These days, I'll happily swear at the Wii when it fails to notice my reps and says I'm not doing anything!
  • mindy2185
    Options
    To me-everyone is in the zone with themselves, who has time to pay that much attention to the noises everyone else is making. lol but for me personally, doesn't bother me one bit !
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

That such a thing even exists is pretty insulting. So because we choose to work out in a way that could be intimidating to others, we're labelled as mindless ogres? I'm glad there's no such thing here, and although my gym company mostly provides general fitness facilities, there is the Steel option when you're past that where the heavy weights and MMA training equipment are kept seperate from the general gym goers.

PF is a "judgement free zone". So they're not calling people who lift heavy mindless ogres, see here:
    http://youtu.be/M-cpojkILO0

Oh wait, looks they are.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness doesn't allow deadlifts, partly because the grunting is intimidating.
    What the actual *kitten*?

That is, if you can find something to do a deadlift with...they no longer have free weights from what I understand.

They also bang the Lunk Alarm if you walk around with a gallon of water.

Not sure if all locations are like this, but seems like corporate policy.

Yeah that was why I joked about planet fitness that way ---> I ended up going to one when on a business trip and was told that I couldn't deadlift and several other lifts. I promptly left and found a cheap Golds Gym.

Planet fitness is one of the least friendly gyms when it comes to lifting. It's basically a cardio palace.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I actually find the guys walking around wearing weight belts talking loudly to each other and staring at everyone for hours much more annoying than the guys who are making a bit of noise while working out. Way I see it, if a guy is working that hard, he's definitely not paying attention to what I'm doing...
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love it! my husband is a powerlifter and the guys i lift with are also. it's part of the sport. we just sold our gym last year and it was a hard core gym. hard core music blastin, chalk on the floor, grunting n swearing. it's part of the territory in our world. we had an awesome strenght team that competed and when these guys are benching 600-800 pounds, they are going to let out noises. when you give your all, it's going to happen. we had a puke bucket in the corner too. we opened our gym for this reason, serious fitness, other places in our area do not welcome these guys or this type of dedication. we welcomed it! i miss our gym, but i dont miss the stress of owning a business in this economy. we still lift at a local place but it's not hard core like we are used to but we still get the job done. my husband still makes noises, ppl just stay out of his way
  • tmtrack
    tmtrack Posts: 23
    Options
    Breathing or exhaling loud is ok. But if your screaming. Then that is too much.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If there isn't some sort of grunting or noise then you probably aren't lifting hard enough. This applies to men AND women.
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with it. Women do it too!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Drama queens