Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options

Replies

• beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It only bothers me if they look smug when they do it... you know those guys who are just attention seeking and waiting for all the women to be attracted and the men to be jealous? Other than that, go for it!
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    there was a guy at my gym that would yell out loud motivational sayings...while on the treadmill. It wasn't something that only the few people around him could hear...the whole gym could. ...After that .. don't care. Although there was the time a girl was grunting and moaning from some ab thing she was doing ...and it just sounded like she was having an orgasm. That was a little distracting. I could tell her trainer was having a verryy hard time keeping a straight face.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I grunt when I lift. And I tend to slam weights when I dead (not on purpose!!!)
    I hope people don't think im weird o.O hehe

I think the spandex I wear fixes everything though xD
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of grunting or dropping weights, but I def have to catch my breath & sit or kneel after a tough set. I've caught myself on one knee sometimes, holding my head up with one hand.

So basically, to an onlooker, I'm Tebow-ing, haha!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I totally grunt when lifting. If people have a problem they can kiss my rear.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I think the yellers are this guy:

*kitten*-posing.jpg

Nothing wrong with grunters.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I think the yellers are this guy:

*kitten*-posing.jpg

Nothing wrong with grunters.
    Damn I wish my hair would do that. It's a fashion statement. It's a weapon.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    That guy works out at my gym... I swear I saw him yesterday, except his blown-out hair hand a bandana wrapped around it, but was sticking out of the top.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    That guy works out at my gym... I swear I saw him yesterday, except his blown-out hair hand a bandana wrapped around it, but was sticking out of the top.

He's wearing more makeup than me.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Back in high school I took weight training for the last two years of high school... a class filled with guys n like 2-3 tom boys (lol me) xD! The coach always promoted grunting and stuff... so I always find it normal and think if they're not making noise they're not pushing their limits!
  • emmamcblain
    Options
    Some of the guys in my gym are weird. They'll lift quietly, put it down quietly, then straight after they'll be like URRRRH. It happens just before they lift as well, it makes me feel as though they're about to lob the thing out of the window.

But in normal situations, it's fine. :)
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A little noise is ok...a friend of mine goes to the same gym as me and he yells like hes giving birth...its hard not to laugh out loud at him but I try my best....exhale as nexessary...grunt as necessary...but screaming means your probably lifting way to heavy for what your ready for...just sayin
  • elysia81
    Options
    hahahahaha! Thanks for the laugh.

If girls are listening to you in the gym just tell them to put their headphones back in. I am so pumped the weight side of the room could disappear and I wouldn't notice.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't get the screamers or weight droppers, annoying look at me behaviour! A few grunts and groans is fine though.

Your picture looks like your a body builder, and your lifting is all about muscle definition so complete control is important. If you were lifting max weight to increase ability for a sporting event or competition that required heavy lifting and speed you often need to lift weights that are more than you can simply control

So, weight dropping (within reason) and loud noises are part of a lot of routines. If you have been a gym rat for 30 years or so you would realize those people are now training at home as the demographics have changed to the average (look at how pretty I am in my cell phone pic in front of the mirror) crowd.
  • jlorenzo31
    jlorenzo31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't get the screamers or weight droppers, annoying look at me behaviour! A few grunts and groans is fine though.

I agree with ya
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    if you're just breathing a bit louder, no problem.

If you're that guy who makes those loud, grunting noises, it's off putting. I work in a gym and there is one guy specifically who makes really loud, annoying, awkward noises when working out. Almost sounds like he's having some wild sex. That, I don't want to listen to, but everything else is normal. I think most girls who lift weights understand.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and I make a grunt here and there, but I think some people go WAY over board on it.
  • Cat_296
    Cat_296 Posts: 40
    Options
    Personally I would say that you probably can't lift properly unless you modify your breathing and definitely don't have a problem with 'normal' noises - top of the lungs shouts is a bit much in a public gym though........
  • cyndyv
    cyndyv Posts: 18
    Options
    Within reason is totally fine. In pilates, you guys should try that too, we make some sounds as well within reason, of course. The conan thing is a bit much.
  • cyndyv
    cyndyv Posts: 18
    Options
    [/quote]So, weight dropping (within reason) and loud noises are part of a lot of routines.

I work out in a gym where there are guys doing some very serious weight lifting and training. Some are professional athletes and they never drop the weights or make loud noises. They stay like the rest of us and look great doing it!!!! Check out www.fitnessquest10.com and you can see on Todd's videos in the gym that these guys are not going out of control. The ones who do that seem to want everyone in the gym to look at them like they are the roosters of then hen house.