Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options
12345679»

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    So, weight dropping (within reason) and loud noises are part of a lot of routines.

I work out in a gym where there are guys doing some very serious weight lifting and training. Some are professional athletes and they never drop the weights or make loud noises.

The point I am trying to make is that not all athletes are created equal, and neither is their training...

so, I will admit I am involved in a niche sport (Highland Games Heavy Athletics) but any thrower (Shot Put, Discuss or Hammer) that competes on a world stage pushes and pulls BIG weights. They do this in combination of stretching, speed drills and cardio but when it is lifting season, it is time to push and pull very heavy weights and the intensity that goes into the training and competition means you are not paying attention to those around you or the noises you make or the weights hitting the ground...

I offer (With permission from my friend in this picture who is a world class athletes and travels the world in competition.....) this picture... He is also a personal trainer and a gentle man.... But when he trains and throws he is an animal (Roughly 6'5 300 +/-)

zolk_hwfd.jpg

He has his own gym, as do most serious lifters because the big box store gyms have run most of the smaller gyms out of business, but I make this post in hopes that if you see someone like Mike working out that you do not judge him on the way he trains just because it is different than the way that you train.

Peace.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    So, weight dropping (within reason) and loud noises are part of a lot of routines.

I work out in a gym where there are guys doing some very serious weight lifting and training. Some are professional athletes and they never drop the weights or make loud noises. They stay like the rest of us and look great doing it!!!! Check out www.fitnessquest10.com and you can see on Todd's videos in the gym that these guys are not going out of control. The ones who do that seem to want everyone in the gym to look at them like they are the roosters of then hen house.

Not always true. I work out in a gym and I am the only one in there at night most of the time. (Small town, and this is one of those old school non fancy gyms). Sometimes the adrenaline gets pumping and you just a bit over the top. I've screamed and got pumped a few times from some big milestone PR's and there was no one in the gym. It was just this giant sense of accomplishment. I don't care if people are looking at me or not. I just shattered a PR and making big progress then yes sometimes you get carried away. I also grunt a bit lifting. I am doing a 7x5 HL system where I am almost always maxing.

Add in the fact I do media for football on the sides and I've been in weight rooms when football players are working out at the college and pro (NFL) level. You better believe it when I say it's not a quiet atmosphere. They grunt, yell, scream, slam weights.

Its a gym people, it's not a wake or funeral home. If you don't want loud noises I suggest curves or fitness planet or a better set of ear phones. The fitness craze is killing off the hardcore lifters, grunting, screaming, back when I was fit and lifting people would cheer you on, people would help out the other lifters flexing in the mirrors getting ready for comps. Now it's a bunch of people who self righteously judge those people who dedicate a lot of time to the gym and their bodies. When pro athletes hit a milestone or accomplishment what does the adrenaline cause them to do usually? Scream and run off the field/court to their friends. It's the same feeling you get dominating a PR or milestone lift. I remembered how excited and pumped I was when I started benching 1 plate on each side, then 2 plates. You better believe I'm going to be hooping and hollering when I hit that 350 mark on the bench press.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

I offer (With permission from my friend in this picture who is a world class athletes and travels the world in competition.....) this picture... He is also a personal trainer and a gentle man.... But when he trains and throws he is an animal (Roughly 6'5 300 +/-)

zolk_hwfd.jpg

He has his own gym, as do most serious lifters because the big box store gyms have run most of the smaller gyms out of business, but I make this post in hopes that if you see someone like Mike working out that you do not judge him on the way he trains just because it is different than the way that you train.

That man is awesome, we have a guy who is just a complete beast in the gym as well. Has to be around 280 of pure muscle, I love lifting when he is in there. He is amazing for advice, and sometimes he'll spot me and he's always yelling.. COME ON, ONE MORE REP.. YOU GOT THIS.. DO IT! DO IT!. I tell you what I lift my best when he is there on point yelling at me and keeping my form perfect.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I sounded like i was having a baby at the gym last night i was working so hard with my PT...i apologised but couldn't help it....it helps with breathing. This is particularly necessary when stretching too...deep breaths out will allow you to further.
  • dddrrooiiddppss0088
    Options
    Don't be that guy.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When moving big weights I've struck bloody noses and bloody shins in the gym before but I don't drop weights and rarely make loud noises. Silent confidence and focus goes a long way.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I assume it helps them work out. When I have to lift/pull something heavy in my household I'll grunt because it makes doing the obstacle easier, I have no idea why it does but it does and the gym probably isn't any different.
  • MollyDurham
    MollyDurham Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As a woman I can say that average grunting is to be expected and I have ear phones so I don't hear it! My friend did, however, tell me this Sunday that I was making some pretty interesting noises myself. I have gotten into lifting a bit and REALLY enjoy it! I asked her what kind of noises and were they loud and she just laughed and said "They weren't that loud BUT they sounded more like bedroom activities than gym activities" I was soooooo embarassed! Having said (and experienced) that I guess we should all keep in mind that it is possible for someone to be making noises that they really aren't even aware of! I try now to be more concious of the noises I make and have found that sometimes I simple can't help it although I have atleast tried to keep the "seductive" tone out of it!
  • edenjoy3
    Options
    nothing wrong