Teacher Criticisms...(rant)

Options

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    To be called entitled is the funniest most ridiculous statement ever! That’s exactly what the problem is with this whole teaching issue.

although, there are some big problems with entitlement. it's a fungus in our culture now - not just in the schools - everywhere.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    Private schools have entitled kids????? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

hold on.... wait... bwahahahaahahhaah

My parents worked hard to send us to private schools. My dad cleaned crap from public housing complexes as a plumber and my mom worked nights just so I didn’t have to go to a public school which was 2 blocks down. My parents weren’t rich… we were middle class… thank god for it.

I thank my parents everyday. To be called entitled is the funniest most ridiculous statement ever! That’s exactly what the problem is with this whole teaching issue.

this is a silly can of worms we have opened.

just because you weren't entitled doesn't mean that there aren't children who are. just because your parents had to scrounge money to send you there doesn't mean that other parents couldn't just wipe their bum with the tuition bill and let everyone know it.

my experience doens't cancel out yours or vice versa.

sheesh, we'll be at this forever.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    To be called entitled is the funniest most ridiculous statement ever! That’s exactly what the problem is with this whole teaching issue.

although, there are some big problems with entitlement. it's a fungus in our culture now - not just in the schools - everywhere.

Agreed. I don't know what people are thinking anymore... where those feelings of entitlement are coming from?
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think the other thing that you need to remember is there are teachers that are best suited for private school (i.e., not me) and teachers that work best in low income public schools and everything in between. Just like every other profession there are people who can do public interest work and people who cannot. My statements are why I cannot work in that environment. Not intended to judge you or your children. Same reason I can't work in corporate law......
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    To all those who say you are a office depot and a nurse and blah blah blah...

good.. good that you see that you have done everything you can to help a child... and you deserve the pay for it.... oppps... nope you dont deserve it... you deserve the same pay as the teacher in room 103 that is doing a crappy job and not giving two craps because they have tenure...

Good teachers deserve it... but unfortunately, bad teachers get the same pay.... see where im going with this?

I understand and have seen your point in action, however.. there are states that are passing laws to take tenure and seniority off the table as a means to keep a teacher. In those states school districts are basing the rehiring decision on student achievement, education, teacher evaluations... etc..
  • chanstriste13
    Options

Agreed. I don't know what people are thinking anymore... where those feelings of entitlement are coming from?

personally, i fault pocket computers and the magnitude of instant gratification attached to them. this is coming for the chic who doesn't own a cell phone...
  • iuangina
    Options

personally, i fault pocket computers and the magnitude of instant gratification attached to them. this is coming for the chic who doesn't own a cell phone...

^yep. I have to be entertained and I should get what I want right now!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    yeah but when someone says that, thats a general statement... i lived in jersey city and im sorry there were no mansions there. I had alot of friends that didnt have enough money for stuff. But their parents fought for their kids to go to private school. Again... think about it.. why did my parents not want me to go to a school for FREE which was 2 blocks down but instead 20 blocks away?

listen... not getting off the topic but riddle me this... why is my wife who is an awesome teacher and really takes care of her kids and gives it her all and always gets her kids grades up for every class she gets ...... why does she get paid the same as the teacher in the other room that takes days off, doesnt stay behind to help the kids out and has never had a class that had positive scores?

there is something wrong there.... again... teachers arent the problem... the unions are the issue...
  • chanstriste13
    Options

good.. good that you see that you have done everything you can to help a child... and you deserve the pay for it.... oppps... nope you dont deserve it... you deserve the same pay as the teacher in room 103 that is doing a crappy job and not giving two craps because they have tenure...

Good teachers deserve it... but unfortunately, bad teachers get the same pay.... see where im going with this?

I understand and have seen your point in action, however.. there are states that are passing laws to take tenure and seniority off the table as a means to keep a teacher. In those states school districts are basing the rehiring decision on student achievement, education, teacher evaluations... etc..

that could be good and bad. i see the apathetic teachers getting the boot, which is good.

but i see the teachers put with the absolutely-non-motivated students having an incredible turnover rate. the best of the best teachers can't compete with the homelife of the student, and that is something that will never change.
  • jmd80
    jmd80 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow!
  • raven56706
    Options

yep you see my point and good you do... because thats what is needed in the classroom... but other states arent so lucky.. the unions are too strong and the teachers are zombies to them.... they are fed the bullcrap and feel that what the unions are saying is the truth... sorry but it isnt... good teachers deserve it... maybe like yourself... you do what a parent doesnt all the time... and unfortunately you are getting the same pay as crap teachers... there is something wrong there..
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    yeah but when someone says that, thats a general statement... i lived in jersey city and im sorry there were no mansions there. I had alot of friends that didnt have enough money for stuff. But their parents fought for their kids to go to private school. Again... think about it.. why did my parents not want me to go to a school for FREE which was 2 blocks down but instead 20 blocks away?

listen... not getting off the topic but riddle me this... why is my wife who is an awesome teacher and really takes care of her kids and gives it her all and always gets her kids grades up for every class she gets ...... why does she get paid the same as the teacher in the other room that takes days off, doesnt stay behind to help the kids out and has never had a class that had positive scores?

there is something wrong there.... again... teachers arent the problem... the unions are the issue...

for the same reason the fella' that hustles to make your egg mcmuffin gets paid the same as the chic standing behind the counter texting and rolling her eyes. the hustling probably had your wife for a teacher, and the lazy chic probably had the lazy teacher. maddening, but true.

and we don't have unions, so i can't respond to that.
  • iuangina
    Options

We are a non-union state, so I have no comment about that. We get screwed in a lot of cases.....For example, we are expected to attend 16 hours of training after work for no compensation. That sucks. But, I do what I have to do to keep teaching because I like it.
  • Jaxco
    Jaxco Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Put yourself in the shoes of those who pay your salary only to have their kids dumbed down and brought into the world of "group-think", then you might understand why people complain.

It's called public SERVICE, if you feel you are entitled to more compensation, then by all means, go out into the real world, market yourself and 'be all you can be'.
  • raven56706
    Options

that could be good and bad. i see the apathetic teachers getting the boot, which is good.

but i see the teachers put with the absolutely-non-motivated students having an incredible turnover rate. the best of the best teachers can't compete with the homelife of the student, and that is something that will never change.

let me set something straight first... m glad you are trying to lose weight and remember this is all discussion on the topic... so good luck with losing weight and friend request because this is good convo..

:)
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    Put yourself in the shoes of those who pay your salary only to have their kids dumbed down and brought into the world of "group-think", then you might understand why people complain.

It's called public SERVICE, if you feel you are entitled to more compensation, then by all means, go out into the real world, market yourself and 'be all you can be'.

:noway:

wow. you say that as if teachers don't have their own children to worry about or pay taxes themselves. wow.

and, my dear mfpeeps, quit bringing up pay - that's not what this thread is about! sheesh.
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i LOVE teachers... i mean really... i can't imagine doing what you do. Kudos to you, hun! You rock!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I must have missed the memo about college being paid for because a good portion of my check goes to paying my student loans.
    Me too!!!
  • raven56706
    Options

wow. you say that as if teachers don't have their own children to worry about or pay taxes themselves. wow.

and, my dear mfpeeps, quit bringing up pay - that's not what this thread is about! sheesh.

as much as pay isnt the issue, i think it is an element of the problem.. i have friends that are teachers and thats all they scream. Sometimes they even say "they why would i even try"... boom that is the mentality that most... not all, but most teachers have... if im not getting paid well why should i try.. which then leads to what... bad teaching.... so where is the motivation? some people love their job but that is rare these days...
  • iuangina
    Options

as much as pay isnt the issue, i think it is an element of the problem.. i have friends that are teachers and thats all they scream. Sometimes they even say "they why would i even try"... boom that is the mentality that most... not all, but most teachers have... if im not getting paid well why should i try.. which then leads to what... bad teaching.... so where is the motivation? some people love their job but that is rare these days...

Well, I think it's hard right now because a lot of teachers (and other government employees) are the victims of furloughs and paycuts. I don't think anyone here has gotten a raise in 3-4 years. It makes for a lot of jaded and lazy employees. It's human behavior at it's best. Money is an awesome motivator, but it's also evil. I mean one of the largest school systems in GA had a cheating scandal of epic proportions because they tied money to test scores.