Gym starers -thoughts? feelings? outrage?

Options

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I have it happen a lot, but I'm also not paying attention because I'm usually huffing and puffing.

At least the starers at the gym can appreciate your hard work. So in that respect, it's kind of welcome. Someone staring on the street has NO IDEA what you do to be fit.

I also wonder... am I a starer? I don't intend to be.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I gym stare. But mostly at people who make me laugh.

Sarcasm or not, this is a SUPPORT SITE. If you are STARING at others at the gym, you are NOT WORKING in the gym. There is a difference between helping someone out and staring. I will admit I have admired a nice butt on the elliptical in front of me. But the stares are rude.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    OMG! Me too! lol
  • pkdreilly
    Options
    True story...One time I was doing pec dec flys. When i am concentrating, I tend to fixate on one spot, not really realizing what I am staring at. To my horror, I realized I was staring right at the crotch of the woman on the yes/no machine in the across from me. She was looking at me with a mixture of confusion and humor.
    I almost dropped the weights.

For reference...this is the yes/no machine

http://www.teachpe.com/strengthening/m-inner_thigh.php

Omg, nearly cried laughing at that one!!! lmao!!
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    <<<<< got busted looking at someone yesterday.... He just smiled. Oooops!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE to people watch at the gym. I watch EVERYONE. I'm inspired by those that are not in shape working/sweating their A$$es off to get into shape. I crack up at the people that hop around to all the machines barely spending 30 seconds at each one and not putting in any real effort. I'm sure they stare at me as I #1 wear my makeup from the day to the gym #2 wear cute workout clothes (I want to feel good) and #3 I breath hard/grunt while doing weights!

Honestly, I am flattered no matter the sex/hotness of the person staring. To me it means I'm getting to where I want to be in my physical fitness. Either that or I'm making a total fool of myself at the gym! :laugh:

Edit: I get a total kick out of the muscle heads staring at me when I'm in the free weight section doing my physical therapy exercises with the barbie bells. The looks on their faces is PRICELESS!:noway:

Yay, you basically said exactly what I feel!!

And I have to say I get a kick out of being in the free weight area, bench pressing and everything, but still looking like a girl in my compression pants and tank. I feel like a badass! :glasses:
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Im not a starer but I am observant. I look at everyone. I like to see who is working hard, who can give a run for my money so Im always looking around. Never oogling a hot guy but if he's putting in work i notice and move on.

As for being the object of the staring - I know that Im fit but its somewhat unnerving. I havent learned to embrace the stares yet. I get in get busy and get out. I like to think that they staring at my semi-buffness and admiring all the hard work Ive put it! lol
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym anymore, but when I did, it was a small little local place that NO one but my old roommates and I went to, and none of us even went at the same time, and if we did, they were absorbed by the TV. :laugh: So no one ever stared.

I do find that at the walking/jogging track that I go to, the only people that stare are teenage/early 20's girls who can't walk or jog for ****, who make snide comments to the people that pass them. It's pretty ridiculous. Or the incredibly stupid woman who went to a jogging track wearing HIGH HEELS, then started an argument with us because my brother and I passed her, which apparently is rude. :yawn: Most comments come from jealousy, I've noticed.

Personally, I'm pretty sure no one stares at me. And I don't outright stare at others. I do admire the women I see jogging in a "wow, how inspiring!" sense, but that's about it. I have a hard enough time breathing when I jog that I have to mentally tell myself when to breathe...I can't be diverting my attention to staring at others. :ohwell:
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    <<<<< got busted looking at someone yesterday.... He just smiled. Oooops!

I thought you looked familiar.

Thanks love
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I need a LOL now.

stare-pic.jpg

If I owned a gym, I would sell these t-shirts with the gym logo on it. Would make for some awesome advertising!
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I work out alot at the gym at work where most folks are professional and courteous. For the most part I am so focused on my work out I really tune out everyone else, so have would have no idea if someone was checking me out.

Have to say, when I was in the Air Force and would work out at the base gym it could be intimating as there were so few females working out.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Better them staring then throwing rotten tomatoes, no?
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    When I used a gym I made use of the mirrors. Only a rookie turns their head. You can see the whole gym through the mirrors:wink:

Agreed
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    They either think you're hot or you have toilet paper stuck to your shoe.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When I used a gym I made use of the mirrors. Only a rookie turns their head. You can see the whole gym through the mirrors:wink:

Smooth. LOL.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym but I get my fair share of starers. They stare while I'm shopping (sometimes follow me too), while I'm out at lunch, at the library, on my walks. It's only fun when the person staring me down is attractive. That's not the case most of the time.

Wow... just wow... this is the most superficial statement of the day!

I appreciate her statement because it's honest.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    OOPS...new at all of this!! I was TRYING to add and say that I agree...her comment was very honest and true to how MOST women would feel in that situation.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Exactly.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I like to look at people and see what kind of exercises they are doing. I try not to stare but, if they are doing an exercise that looks really cool, sometimes I do - but not to be creepy. I don't think I'm at a place where anyone stares at me at the gym but if I were, unless it got weird or inappropriate comments were made, I probably wouldn't think anything of it other than to go home and laugh about it with my Hubby:bigsmile:
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    Dont know why you would be staring at someone else in the gym; you should be concentrating on getting that last rep out or running for that extra minute.:wink: