ever been told you werent good looking?

Options

Replies

• Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    Options
    I once had a guy friend, who claimed that he was my BEST guy friend, look me in the face and say, "Sara, we both know you're a gorgeous person on the inside. As a guy, and I say this because I'm your friend, you'd be so pretty if you lost weight. Cause you've got a good heart, I mean you'd be the perfect package if you were pretty on the outside too. I mean, I like you now, but... well... you know what I mean."

Uhhhhh..... not really. And we're no longer friends.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Nah, but I can never be told how good looking I am enough, so bring it! I know you wanna touch the beard. Go ahead! Touch it! It's okay!
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have been barked at, called a dog, guys would loudly pretend to ask me out and then laugh amongst themselves...um, a family member opened my bedroom door without knocking one day while I was getting dressed and when he closed the door said " I thought I saw a walrus"...to the other people in the house. Needless to say it was difficult to come out of that room without feeling humiliated.
    My favorite are the "friends" who feel it would be a good idea to tell you all of the awful things others say about you.

That has to be the most horrible thing i ever heard....((hugs))

Aw it's ok. It has given me walrus-like thick skin. :P Thanks though. Awful right?!
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    In high school I used to get bullied quite a lot...there was a group of girls who used to write 'dog' on my stuff. They also used to sing 'I like big butts and I cannot lie' whenever I walked in to the room. One day they stuck a sticker saying 'wide load' on my *kitten* and then pulled down my shorts in Physical Education to highlight to the whole school just how 'fat' my *kitten* is.

I was also out clubbing and a guy came up to talk to me. A few seconds later his friend walked up to him and said 'what the hell do you think you're going? she's absolutely rank'.

When I was very slender I overheard two guys saying that I looked like a 'f***ing rank skeletal freak'.

I had a guy friend say to me 'i know you think you're gorgeous but I don't think you're that great to be honest'. He was a close friend and I was shocked that he felt the need to bring me down in such a way. I don't know why he thinks that I believe I'm 'gorgeous' anyway.

Obviously I've had other comments but these are the ones that stick in my mind. I try not to take any of them to heart.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I once had a guy friend, who claimed that he was my BEST guy friend, look me in the face and say, "Sara, we both know you're a gorgeous person on the inside. As a guy, and I say this because I'm your friend, you'd be so pretty if you lost weight. Cause you've got a good heart, I mean you'd be the perfect package if you were pretty on the outside too. I mean, I like you now, but... well... you know what I mean."

Wooowww.
    Some friend.
    Sorry to hear that.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    In the physical sense, yes. Many, many, many times.

Sculley and Virginia Woof: I got picked on for it in school too. Then I turned 13, and it stopped for a while. It picked back up again once I graduated college. Women never call me ugly. It's always men. I ignore it. :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I spent the first 27 years of my life being told I was unattractive. Examples...

My father: "With that frizzy red hair and those freckles and red skin, no one will ever think you're pretty."

My first boyfriend: "I don't think you're pretty, you just have great boobs."

My (almost) ex-husband: "I don't find you attractive, but I am attracted to you anyway."

It makes it harder to believe when people tell me otherwise now, but I'm working on it.
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    My son was very upset because this mean kid at school called me ugly. He was so sweet, and told me that he's stupid, you're beautiful Mom. :heart:
  • Fockertots
    Options

Wooowww.
    Some friend.
    Sorry to hear that.

Oh yeah. Thing is...... I am a pretty girl. Eff him. I don't need people like that in my life anyway.
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    I spent the first 27 years of my life being told I was unattractive. Examples...

My father: "With that frizzy red hair and those freckles and red skin, no one will ever think you're pretty."

My first boyfriend: "I don't think you're pretty, you just have great boobs."

My (almost) ex-husband: "I don't find you attractive, but I am attracted to you anyway."

It makes it harder to believe when people tell me otherwise now, but I'm working on it.

First off, you're gorgeous. Secondly, my Dad has always hated my hair, and still hates it to this day. (You can see it in my profile pic.) He told me he was ashamed to be seen in public with me because my hair was so ugly. I love him, but he's totally full of crap. :)
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've had plenty of loved ones tell me that I'll be pretty when I get back down to my 'normal' weight of 120. Unfortunately, I have to agree. However, I don't think I'm ugly.. I just have some things to work on. I think the best one was: "Eh, you're okay. And you're not even a beautiful soul.. maybe when you're skinny again." You can thank liquid courage for that one.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that. My best friend actually told me she couldn't be friends with me in high school because of my size and my looks. Then the ex who told me I was disgusting and wouldn't be seen in public with me, didn't deserve to be loved, no one ever would, blah blah blah. Oh and my mom makes it a point to call out my weight and stuff every time she talks to me. Hell I'm convinced most of the time my husband is embarrassed to be seen with me.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    For most of my life actually. I was always the girl the guys were friends with and hung out with.....the quirky sidekick. My son (who is 5) was the first one to tell me I was beautiful when he was 3.....he told me I was beautiful like the stars at night ....:cry: <---happy mommy tears
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    When I was in school I got things pointed out to me that were ugly but nobody actually called me ugly. I have never been hit on in a bar or pub until I lost the extra weight I had gained. I think a lot of people are really shallow though.
  • Fockertots
    Options
    For most of my life actually. I was always the girl the guys were friends with and hung out with.....the quirky sidekick. My son (who is 5) was the first one to tell me I was beautiful when he was 3.....he told me I was beautiful like the stars at night ....:cry: <---happy mommy tears

I wanna hug your son!! How precious.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I heard it a lot as a kid and only a little less as a teenager. We'll say my self-esteem wasn't fantastic or even near stable until I hit 19.

Exactly this
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I was told I was ugly so much that I hated my face. I was also told I had the best personality and was the funniest and sweetest.
    It amazes me the guys who said I was ugly or plain were in a hurry to get in my pants tho, if I am so ugly how could you? So figured out they were stupid.
    One of these guys who said "Your nothing special, in fact your not good looking to me at all" recently divorced from his wife and saw how much weight I lost and was like "You were always so hot" :noway: :grumble: :frown:

I told him about my boyfriend and showed him a pic and he said "Yuck a redhead" GURRRRRR F HIM!! I LOVE REDHEADS:heart::love: And Andy is SUPER HOT!!!!:love:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    At about 11-12 years old, I accidentally bumped into my crush in the hallway of our school, and loud enough for everyone to hear he laughed and said, "I'd hate to wake up to that every morning." I was devastated, and always thought that was such a strange comment coming from a 12 year old. Luckily, that was a long time ago and it feels like it was a different life. I still care too much about what other people think, but I realize that and recognizing the problem is the first step to recovery, as "they" say. Even though I'm working to improve my health and fitness, I like what I see in the mirror now,
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    [/quote]

Or when you have those friends that talk about how "ugly" other friends are...
    Kinda makes you wonder what they say about you.
    [/quote]

Yeah. I can pretty much figure they just really like trash talking everyone. I dont just think they trash talk me. I would bet on it. People like that can't stop themselves.
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    I hate to say this, but a lot of people have told me that... And it hurts. And it makes me wonder if it's even worth trying to lose weight anymore. I'm just to the point of being extremely frustrated with life in general. I don't know if I should care so much, but I do. And I beat myself up every day for it. Even my mom says s**t like that.