ever been told you werent good looking?

Options

Replies

• eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I was called so many names as a kid for being fat and my brother was the one who made up most of them, they were in spanish so they sound awkward when translated but I was called face-like-a-trash-can (because its round), shoe-lips (because they were too big for my face when I was growing up) Elizajugs because I carry alot of weight in my boobs, they were bigger than DD when I was 12! I was told I had an integrated life saver while on vacation with my family, called a fat lesbian at school (and im straight...dont know why they called me that) and just called fat instead of my name by lots of my cousin...I could go on for ages. Even my mom would yell at me for being fat. Still dont have much self esteem even though my boyfriend tells me im beautiful 10000 times a day.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I once got told by a total stranger at about 11 at night that I looked "f**kin' downs syndrome". That was a low and I got totally batsh1t crazy angry and drank stupid amounts of beer.

Also I'm a redhead so random shouts of "ginger" cleverly rhymed with 'minger' are par for the course.

I also had one guy on facebook say he didn't find me attractive, but would I sleep with him anyway as he wanted to add redhead to his tally.

It's weird. Usually I don't really care because it is just cliche and therefore tedious and impersonal. But anything not cliche cuts, and everything else just grinds you down.
    I have noticed that if you just power-walk everywhere and stand up straight you don't come up as a target on most strangers' radar. And thankfully, London is usually highly impersonal so you're fine until you have the confidence to go flaunt it.

Every time I hear someone say the the word "ginger" I also hear "Im an uninventive idiot."

Oh yes, and I'm glad of the hair now. I briefly went blonde and, whilst it stopped one sort of insult, I didn't like the attention and I missed the actual conversations I got when people didn't make assumptions about my intelligence from my hair colour. Go figure!
  • courtxoney
    courtxoney Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    not to my face, no.
    behind my back, i'm sure.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been told that every day of my life since I was a little girl.

I cut out the middle-man.

Now I just tell myself.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Got it all of the time growing up. I am 5'11, large frame, always been a big girl - even when I was at my thinnest I got, "You're built like a tank!" comments. In middle school, it was the worst...I was taller than most of the boys, had short hair, and my nick name is Andi - short for Andrea. So, I was told I was a boy, looked like a boy, or a dog...lovely things. It bothered me to a point, but didn't stop me being who I was....I had a wonderful family and was (still am) loved for who I am, not what I looked like.
    Interesting thing...the ones who were so judgemental then aren't doing so much in their life now. My 20 year reunion was an eye-opener! They reached their peak a long time ago, and I'm still getting to mine. :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I was the one with the great body, okay face, and way too nerdy and smart in my group. Now, I'm just the fat one.

Hopefully, won't be the fat one forever.

I'm lucky though. My friends love me just as I am (and my husband too).
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!! I would hang out with a few friends, and I was the "ugly" one of the group, according to the guys that use to approach us......I was definitely an ugly duckling growing up... I had low self-esteem all my life.

Not long ago, it seem like I started to look different... But that's because I blame the makeup I now wear lol
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I've been told I'm ugly and fat before, but I've also been told I'm gorgeous, stunning, beautiful, etc. Someone recently told me I should model.

I still have self esteem issues though from when I was younger and unattractive, sometimes I still picture myself as the person I was and not the person I am today. Now, I tend to overcompensate and obsess too much over how I look AND I'm in showbusiness and judged on my looks all the time, so that really doesn't help...
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had natural red hair and was teased like crazy from Gr 6 - 9. Girls told me I was ugly all the time.
  • Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I was told that once. I just laughed in her face, said something like, "***** you need glasses" and walked away. My ego doesn't allow me to accept comments like that gracefully.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've been told I wasn't good looking since we all had to watch that horrible video about the chances in our body. Purberty is a horrible thing. I'm still getting the "ugly girl" looks from people.

I was hanging out with one of my chick friends and her sister and realized I'M THE UGLY FRIEND! Same thing happened when I was a little younger and with my cousins. I was the ugly duckling of the group :( Guys say I'm "hot" just to see how far I would go. I just laugh and tell them "yeah I'm more like luke warm"

I'm sad now all over again

Who are the pictures of? There isn't an ugly person in your collection of photos.:smile: Don't be sad - just accept that you can't see yourself as others see you and that this is the only sad thing!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I say, if I am pretty it is only because you think so. It's not a fact, it's an opinion. I suppose some people's beauty is a matter of fact. Like those "studies" where they say pretty people make more money. I always wondered, how did they decide who was pretty?!
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Whatever some one "called" or "labeled" you was more a reflection of their own short comings and insecurities. YOU are how YOU feel. Some of the ugliest people I know have some of the most attractive exteriors...then you get to know them and your whole perspective towards them will change. I have earned a few "labels" in may day, and wear them like badges of honor!!

^^^^^ THIS!!!

I worked on a project this last summer and there was a guy there that I was totally smitten with. Some of the other girls were laughing one day (of course didn't know my crush) and they decided to pick the ugliest man on our project. He was their pick. I never realized he wasn't good looking... because he was to me.
  • Tonya509
    Tonya509 Posts: 19
    Options
    I have... After I told some guy I didn't want to date him after he spent all night telling me how pretty I was... funny how opinions change after being rejected.... and your "friend" is crazy :)
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Yup, all the time growing up. Played havoc with my self-esteem and to be honest, I still have moments when I can't stand to even look in a mirror. Those days are less and less and the days where I just think "Damn I'm sexy" happen more often...but that kind of thing stays with you.

@The OP: What a horrible thing for a supposed "friend" to say to you!! Good for you for not even giving her the time of day now :D
  • StarvingKyy
    StarvingKyy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've always been the ugly fat friend. There wasn't a person who couldnt help but remind me of that every day. Now im 117 pounds and malnourished. I wish I could look them in the eyeand say "Are you happy now?" but i still dont feel good enough. Those words hurt.
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My friend and cousins didn't put me in the ugly friend zone, it's just when guys would hit on them and I'd be stuck to the side holding the bags while they flirted. Only time a guy looks at me is when I'm at the gas station and old men think I'm jail bait -.-

Same here. It takes a lot of work for me to look "good."
    I'm blessed, though, I found a guy who is amazing, if for no other reason than he thinks I'm beautiful. Mr. Right is out there, and he will see you as the beautiful lady you are, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My mom VERY JOKINGLY told me I was ugly once...I responded with "People say I look just like you so that makes you ugly too..." She then laughed and called me a smartass. haha.

On a serious note tho, each and every one of you are BEAUTIFUL!!! :flowerforyou:
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I was also the "such a pretty face" or "so cute, if only you lost a few pounds" girl in school. I dated a couple of guys who would never really commit because of my weight. It really broke me down emotionally.

I eventually met my husband who loves me for me and we are PERFECT for each other. We'll have been together 11 years on Monday. He married me when I was on my way up to, and damn close to ,my heaviest weight 9 years ago.

I've lost 114 pounds from that heaviest weight and still losing. So, now HE gets the hot girl that they wanted me to be, because he earned it!!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes it was my brothers friend. Given it was at the awkward age of 13 but it was extremely hurtful and made me so insecure!