Someone talk books with me, please!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Read Pride and Prejudice. Loved it. some of my other favs.
    Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.
    Kill the Messenger by Tami Hoag was outstanding!!!
    Silk and Scandal Series (written by a group of women for Harlequin - Regency England setting)
    Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia and Charlie Bone series are great for kids and adults
    I also like Rachel Gibson books.
    [
    if you like the narnia / potter thing.. do you do patricia mckillip too?/quote]
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan yesterday. It was a great book about women, a secret women's language in China, etc. I have kissed my daughter an extra 30 times since I started the book :)
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan yesterday. It was a great book about women, a secret women's language in China, etc. I have kissed my daughter an extra 30 times since I started the book :)
    :smile:
    So which one are you going to start now?
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    :smile:
    So which one are you going to start now?

I have a book titled 'Midwives' about half done and I squeaked in another Sookie/trublood book over the last 2 days.
    .' World war z', 'Game of thrones', 'extremely loud and incredibly close' are sitting on my table. :laugh:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i'm trying something different.. lots of books at one time..
    Cooking with Italian Grandmothers.....for breakfast.. it's a cookbook slash italian vacation log...
    28 artists and 2 saints-it's a book of essays.. not working out so well because it takes concentration, so I may have to save it for when I can give it my full attention
    the oresteian trilogy-because a friend is taking a class and i wanted to read what she's reading...
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    for anyone who likes the hunger games, the divergent and insider series are also good. you'll probably like the heroines more than THG's katniss unless you're a twilight fan XD.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The most memorable book I've read in years (and I read 4 or 5 a month), is "The Same Kind of Different as Me". don't have it in front of me, so can't come up with the authors names, but look for it on Amazon. It is not something I would pick off the shelf to read, but it is unforgettable. It's a memoir of a homeless man and his perception of society, and societies' perception of the homeless in general, him in particular. You won't regret reading it. It's the kind of book you buy copies of to give to your friends! Tip: you will need a box of kleenex for the last 1/3 of the book.

You might like - 'The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City' It has stuck with me for a long time, a bit creepy, but interesting too.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You also might like The Glass Castle...pretty sure that's the name of this book. True story about a young girl and how she grew up and over came her problematic childhood with her two intelligent and highly creative, but addicted and often homeless parents. Really good book that you won't forget.

I just finished: Life, by: Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. Wow! Some of the stories he tells are really amazing and quite fun!

A real long epic type book, but really REALLY good story is Pillars of the Earth.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: Excellent Book! I could not put it down...had to keep reading it till I finished it.
    Wally Lamb's books : She's Come Undone and This Much I Know is True: Both books are so good! I have just downloaded into my Kindle his other book: Wishin' and Hopin. I'm sure it's good too.

Water For Elephants was pretty good.

Lori's Song, a true story about this woman who was held captive in Iraq after she married her Iraqian husband and he turned out to be evil....OMG! The stuff this lady went through! A good story by Lori Foroozandch.

Sweetie, by Kathryn Magendie was a good story about friendship, bullying and bonds that never go away.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I study English Lit at uni so do a lot of reading. my faves this term so far have been no telephone to heaven, the virgin and gipsy, a handful of dust, things fall apart, baumgartners bombay, the tenant of wildfell hall, jane eyre, wuthering heights, frankenstein, the illyiad sure there are more, but would recommend these as a start :-)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Another bookworm, checking in :drinker:

For light fluffy reads, I concurr the Stephanie Plum series is fabulous. Not too sure about casting Katherine Heigl in the movie... we'll see!
    For teen type stuff (which i still dabble in 20 years too late!), the twilight and hunger games books are fun.
    For free- there are TONS of free downloadable books for Kindle/nook/etc. I re-read all my fave Jane Austens, and even plowed thru the Count of Monte Cristo- long but good. A tale of 2 cities, a room with a view, anne of green gables series, tons of free reads.

For a meatier read, anthing by Kate Atkinson, or Iain Banks (try his alter-ego Iain M Banks for sci fi), and the George RR martin books keep me quiet for longer than most! By the way, was really impressed by season 1 of the tv version.
    Penny Vincenzi makes a fab 'women's book', some set around WW2 time, good reads and also double as door-stoppers!
    Dorothy Koomson does a good contemporary women's read.
    I hear 'the eyre affair' was really orginal and great, i just re-read jane eyre first so i will get the references!

Looking forward to starting 'the help' and then the 5th song of fire and ice book. My tastes are varied :blushing:
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    -phew-

Just finished 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.' I enjoyed that the author gave the book a unique rhythm. I felt stressed through the whole book, but it is the first 9/11 story I have let myself read. I won't be watching the movie.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i am sitting here, currently, with all 7 books of the outlander series by diana gabaldon. excited to read them all, and, like a nerd, enjoying the anticipation before i crack open the first book. looking forward to the next 8000 pages. i've heard such good things.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Options
    Just finished Game of Thrones and it was really good, then I watched the first season on HBO and they did a really good job! That hardly ever happens so yay HBO!

Coming up next? Little House in the Big Woods- Laura Ingals Wilder, Bossy Pants Tina Fey, and the next Game of Thrones Book. Oh yeah and I have another Sookie/Trublood book going too :D