Is cottage cheese good or bad for you?

Options

Replies

• keithrolf
    Options
    Great bedtime snack for several reasons.

1. Warm it up to get a surge of tryptophan which will make you Thanksgiving Day sleepy. This has cured my insomnia.

2. The Casein Protein digests very slowly keeping your body from entering "fasting mode" while asleep. Staying sated also helps keeping you from waking up.

3. Loads of protein which burns about 65% of itself just to convert to fat.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?
    There is a LOT of disinformation regarding dairy. It is NOT good for you, but there are millions of dollars spent each year trying to convince you that it's god's gift from heaven.

Why not try for yourself? Try and avoid dairy products for a month and see how you feel. No harm in testing something out.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    One word: portion.

As long as you measure the servings you will be fine....it is loaded with protein!
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much cottage is in it.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (1 cup) is recommended as a post-workout food in NROL Supercharged.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?
    There is a LOT of disinformation regarding dairy. It is NOT good for you, but there are millions of dollars spent each year trying to convince you that it's god's gift from heaven.

Why not try for yourself? Try and avoid dairy products for a month and see how you feel. No harm in testing something out.

If you're lactose intolerant, you'll probably feel the best you ever have. Other than that, I'm not a nutritionist. I do know that dairy is the most obvious way to get calcium combined with Vitamin D.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i think its bad as it tastes nasty to me. but if you like it just eat it in moderation.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

So you LOOK for threads to spread your misinformation? We all already know how much you hate diary and meat and stuff like that. But saying these items are dangerous or bad for you is just flat out wrong. And every single time someone calls you out on it and asks you to provide proof, you never do.

So provide proof.
  • kates232
    kates232 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest...quitting dairy was the first time I saw significant weight loss (significant not meaning much, I am a small statured person so anything over a few pounds is ground breaking). I used to eat cottage cheese and yogurt every day. I would just say eat in moderation, anything every day probably isn't the best. And I've been hearing news lately that higher fat content dairy is actually less "fattening" than low fat dairy. Go figure.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    What is supposedly bad in the cottage cheese is the casein (not sure if I spelled that right). I usually have cottage cheese with fruit for my morning snack. Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight. Having it in minimal quantites is not bad. Watch the documentary that is on Netflix right now called Forks Over Knives. It touches on studies done that prove that low dairy, low meat and high plant has awesome effects on the body. I am trying to incorporate much more veggies and greens as a result of it and keep dairy/meat to a minimum.

What is wrong with casein protein may I ask? Casein protein is similar to whey protein, except that it is digested slower by the body. If it's all you ate instead of balancing out your macros it would be fattening, but that is the case with any food on Earth. And why "OF COURSE" would it put on weight? Is this general knowledge that I am unaware of?
    The entire time I was losing weight I had a casein protein shake every night before bed so that I wouldn't wake up starving for my morning workouts. And now that I'm maintaining I also have a casein shake before bed.... Looks like I'm doing something wrong? :huh:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    You are all right and you are all wrong. The question was if cottage cheese is bad for you and yes it is because you are ingesting animal fat and protein. Animal fat causes heart disease and animal protein leads to cancer. This has been proven without a doubt unless you just don't want to believe science. Unless you are a bodybuilder, no adult needs that much protein (especially the pound a day member). The brain is the main user of carbohydrates and your body needs carbs to live and live well. But the right carbs are what's important (complex carbs - veggies, friuts, whole grains and legumes). Beans have more protein than you will ever need and tons of fiber and these are the reasons a veggie diet is the most healthy. With that said, carbs raise insulin which stores fat and unless you refrain from simple and processed sugars or don't curb your intake of these sugars you can't really lose weight. That's where cottage cheese comes in to play. It is an awesome food to go "carb free" but not a way to eat every day, because it is bad for you. The problem with all these issues is that it's extremely difficult to be healthy on the inside and outside (slim) at the same time because we are programmed to like the foods that are bad for you because they are so rich in energy (fat and sugar).

I'm not even sure which part of this post to address... :noway:
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor this question at my last appointment and he said it is bad for you and i should quit eating it if i am trying to lose weight because any cheese is fattening???..........

I eat the Kraft Simply 2% cottage cheese (love it!! one of my fav foods) and its one of my favorite things for breakfast.

Just remember Doctors aren't Dieticians.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

So you LOOK for threads to spread your misinformation? We all already know how much you hate diary and meat and stuff like that. But saying these items are dangerous or bad for you is just flat out wrong. And every single time someone calls you out on it and asks you to provide proof, you never do.

So provide proof.
    Provide proof that she could try it out for herself?

The only people who ask me to provide proof over and over again are dairy addicts that wouldn't read or care what i posted, anyway. I'm not wasting my time for trolls like you. If the OP tries it out for herself, she may find that she feels a lot better without dairy, just like everyone else who tries it for themselves.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

So provide proof.

The only people who ask me to provide proof over and over again are dairy addicts that wouldn't read or care what i posted, anyway. I'm not wasting my time for trolls like you. If the OP tries it out for herself, she may find that she feels a lot better without dairy, just like everyone else who tries it for themselves.
    Everyone's a troll that asks for proof? I don't think you would know what a scientific paper is. All your proof comes from vegan websites, which you gobble up unconditionally, sad.
  • monicapatituccijones
    monicapatituccijones Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese almost every day, all kinds of cheese, and I am still losing. Fat is important for feeling full, among other things.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options

So provide proof.

I'll second the request for proof...can we see some links to scientific articles that state unequivocally that dairy is terrible for everyone?

I eat 2% cottage cheese as part of my breakfast every morning, anything lower fat I find doesn't taste good enough for me to bother...but 145 grams, which is a good-sized serving, is only like 130 calories and keeps me from starving to death between breakfast and lunch. I can't see how that's a bad thing!

edited to fix quotes
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I like it with a can of fruit cocktail over it.

also, to me, the full fat tastes way better than the fat free. the fat free flavor sucks. IMO
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Is there a third option?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

So provide proof.

So you got nothing but name calling "trolls" and "diary addicts"? Ok. LOL.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

37442397.jpg