Is cottage cheese good or bad for you?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    <<<<<I eat a half cup of 2% or full fat cottage cheese every day.

I love it and do not feel it is bad for me. It is delicious and helps me feel fuller longer as it has a good amount of fat and protein.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    He might be getting a kick back from the dairy industry. If you listen to them we can't live without dairy. I have a son with an allergy to dairy so I know we can live without it. I know this is totally off the subject now... Sorry

True, human beings will not die without dairy, and the dairy industry (like all other industries) push that we HAVE TO HAVE IT so they can stay an industry. But unless you are allergic to it or just hate it, dairy is a very good source (not the only source) of protein and calcium. And because cottage cheese is not aged, or pressed dry it retains more of the whey proteins that are good for your muscles.

^^^ this

before animals were domesticated, no-one ate any milk or milk product once they started getting their permanent teeth and babies and small kids only got breastmilk. It's not necessary in the diet after age 5. And many people around the world can't digest it, because the ability to digest lactose after early childhood has only evolved recently and it's only evolved in populations with a long history of dairy herding/farming. So the ability to digest dairy varies by ethnic group (although due to gene flow you may not fit the general trend, e.g. you could be from a population where people can usually digest lactose but you can't and vice versa) but if you can digest it then dairy products are a good source of protein, fat, fat soluble vitamins and minerals (including calcium).
  • 08JKgirl
    08JKgirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am so glad most of these came back as it being good for you! I love my cottage cheese.... :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?
    There is a LOT of disinformation regarding dairy. It is NOT good for you, but there are millions of dollars spent each year trying to convince you that it's god's gift from heaven.

Why not try for yourself? Try and avoid dairy products for a month and see how you feel. No harm in testing something out.

So you LOOK for threads to spread your misinformation? We all already know how much you hate diary and meat and stuff like that. But saying these items are dangerous or bad for you is just flat out wrong. And every single time someone calls you out on it and asks you to provide proof, you never do.

So provide proof.
    Provide proof that she could try it out for herself?

The only people who ask me to provide proof over and over again are dairy addicts that wouldn't read or care what i posted, anyway. I'm not wasting my time for trolls like you. If the OP tries it out for herself, she may find that she feels a lot better without dairy, just like everyone else who tries it for themselves.

i just scrolled back from the end of the thread to see who was posting that about dairy.,..

Oh, it's you. Why am I not surprised? I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die from Not Surprise!

Dairy is fine if you have inherited one of the alleles for continued production of lactase into adulthood, and you're not allergic to it either. If you don't carry one of those alleles or if you are allergic to it, then it's bad for you and you shouldn't eat it.

^^^^ not rocket science.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    However, everything thing i read says that its actually good for you so now i am confused. The packaging says its low in fat and very high in protein.. what are your thoughts and experiences?
    There is a LOT of disinformation regarding dairy. It is NOT good for you, but there are millions of dollars spent each year trying to convince you that it's god's gift from heaven.

Why not try for yourself? Try and avoid dairy products for a month and see how you feel. No harm in testing something out.

So you LOOK for threads to spread your misinformation? We all already know how much you hate diary and meat and stuff like that. But saying these items are dangerous or bad for you is just flat out wrong. And every single time someone calls you out on it and asks you to provide proof, you never do.

So provide proof.
    Provide proof that she could try it out for herself?

The only people who ask me to provide proof over and over again are dairy addicts that wouldn't read or care what i posted, anyway. I'm not wasting my time for trolls like you. If the OP tries it out for herself, she may find that she feels a lot better without dairy, just like everyone else who tries it for themselves.
    Here you go...a request for proof from a non-dairy addict. I don't care for most dairy products, but I think anyone making claims that counter standard nutritional advice needs to cite reliable/scientific/scholarly sources for their information if they want people to believe the information.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    What is supposedly bad in the cottage cheese is the casein (not sure if I spelled that right). I usually have cottage cheese with fruit for my morning snack. Studies have shown that diets high in casein of course will put on weight. Having it in minimal quantites is not bad. Watch the documentary that is on Netflix right now called Forks Over Knives. It touches on studies done that prove that low dairy, low meat and high plant has awesome effects on the body. I am trying to incorporate much more veggies and greens as a result of it and keep dairy/meat to a minimum.

What is wrong with casein protein may I ask? Casein protein is similar to whey protein, except that it is digested slower by the body. If it's all you ate instead of balancing out your macros it would be fattening, but that is the case with any food on Earth. And why "OF COURSE" would it put on weight? Is this general knowledge that I am unaware of?
    The entire time I was losing weight I had a casein protein shake every night before bed so that I wouldn't wake up starving for my morning workouts. And now that I'm maintaining I also have a casein shake before bed.... Looks like I'm doing something wrong? :huh:

This is interesting...NROL Supercharged specifically recommends cottage cheese post workout for those who are more interested in losing fat as opposed to those who are looking to build muscle.