SO who's had POSITIVE experiences with online dating sites?

Options

Replies

• Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I met my fiancé on plentyoffish.com. You just need to be careful; I did have one creep that I talked to that almost made me not want to continue.
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on a site called American singles. We met in 2003, married in 2006 and have almost been married 6 years. You have to be really carefull on those sites. I met a lot of people that just wanted hookups. Including some married men. That was not what I wanted. You have to keep your guard up. You have to be able to read people well. My husband was so open with me and me with him.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My MIL died, and FIL, after a reasonable time, decided to date.
    He set up a profile on eHarmony, met a wonderful lady, then got married.

Totally changed my view of such things.
  • snowdriftlmk
    Options
    My boyfriend found me on Myspace and we have been living together for five years now.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I met my Honey on Yahoo personals. He's my best friend and the love of my life :)
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've used them off and on for years myself, and have found the experience to be a great one. I've done some dating, had a few relationships, and made some good friends along the way. And even the dates that went badly at least left me with some funny stories to tell my friends. :)

I was just talking to a friend about this the other day, and I'll post here the same advice I gave her:

Be sure to give a friend your date's name, email address, phone number, the name of the site you met on and their screen name on that site. Any info you have on them. There are a lotta whack-jobs out there in the world (not just the online world, either...you can meet a nut-case in the supermarket, the gym or anywhere for that matter), and should something bad happen, someone should have that information to pass along to the authorities.

Thanks for the reminder, btw. I haven't looked yet today to see if anyone's emailed me, winked at me, or otherwise wants to meet me. :)

Great advice. I'd also add that now you also have to be careful with scams. Sometimes someone looks to good to be true and its cause they will try asking you for money. Usually not in the same state as you and is a widow with a child.
  • KLK1986
    KLK1986 Posts: 89
    Options
    My fiance and I (engaged as of 1/9/12) met on Match.com and have been together since 12/28/09.

I agree that sometimes weird stuff happens with online dating. Be careful who you decide to meet in person, meet in a very public place, let someone else know what you're doing, etc.

Some people are on those sites for casual-sex type things. But many really do want to find someone they can connect with!
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    I've used them off and on for years myself, and have found the experience to be a great one. I've done some dating, had a few relationships, and made some good friends along the way. And even the dates that went badly at least left me with some funny stories to tell my friends. :)

I was just talking to a friend about this the other day, and I'll post here the same advice I gave her:

Be sure to give a friend your date's name, email address, phone number, the name of the site you met on and their screen name on that site. Any info you have on them. There are a lotta whack-jobs out there in the world (not just the online world, either...you can meet a nut-case in the supermarket, the gym or anywhere for that matter), and should something bad happen, someone should have that information to pass along to the authorities.

Thanks for the reminder, btw. I haven't looked yet today to see if anyone's emailed me, winked at me, or otherwise wants to meet me. :)

That's great advice! I tell my sister the same things she does a lot of online dating.
  • tylersmama1224
    Options
    I have to say I have finally found a good man off of a dating site. I found my soon to be ex husband off of Craigslist and although we were married nearly four years and have an amazing son together, he was extremely abusive and poison to the family. I gave it another shot not that long ago and found David, the man I think God put on this Earth for me. No, things were not all passion and sex and whatnot right off the bat, it took us awhile to figure things out. We have still yet to have sex, but we are very happy right where we are, trying to take things slow and feel it out before leaping into it. But I have to say I find myself falling for him a little more everyday. He also keeps amazing company and is part of an amazing church that I am proud to attend.
  • amgchick
    amgchick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a great experience. I am "older" and found that eHarmony worked for me. I met met my husband on there the day after I joined. So, yes it was a great experience for me! :heart: any dating site can be a bad experience...just like going to a bar. But, at least most of the details are laid out for you before the first date. Best of luck! :)
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've had positive experiences and some negative ones, but far more good. However, I think I was good at weeding out the "I just want to get into your pants and think I'm a hot shot" guys. I would spend a lot of time talking before I even considered meeting them. That alone seems to keep the less serious guys at bay. Any time I planned on meeting someone, I let a friend know who it was, where we were going to meet and we had the understanding that I would call or text when I got home safely. I also showed her the screen name and online profile picture. You never know.
  • incfighters
    incfighters Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i used match.com. my friend was trying to convince me to try it out, so i decided to look at some profiles. the first one i clicked on seemed like a guy that i could get along with and made me want to officially try the site out. i put up my profile and was on my three day trial, and he contacted me. we ended up being a fantastic match and have been in a relationship for about 3.5 years. we already know we're gonna spend the rest of our lives together and are planning to get married in the coming years.
    people have to remember though that even when you meet your perfect mate, the relationship isn't always easy, all relationships need lots of work and understanding in order to develop into something strong and worthwhile. i say this because i have friends who put the effort to meet people online and then stop trying when a relationship develops, and it just doesn't work. so yes, there will be good and bad, but you only live once, and using an online dating site sure does broaden the pickings! i definitely recommend it!

o yea, and my sister is getting married to her fiance who she met on match, and my brother is already married to his fiance that he met on match. we all tried it at different times without anyones knowledge. :P
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If getting herpes from it, then yes I gained something positive from my one experience....

you got herpes from sleeping with a mcnasty, NOT the online site.......make wiser choices! this is why sex is for marriage!!!

OVER HEAD
  • BettyyRoss
    BettyyRoss Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've never used a dating site but I actually met my husband online. We met through a blackberry forum and began messaging on BBM, we met up a few months after and have been together since.
  • tigerlily_82
    tigerlily_82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on sinlgesnet.com It took me a a few months of emailing before I got the courage to actually meet him. He's my soulmate, the perfect guy :)
  • doisneau
    Options
    I had a good experience on match.com, I think I found a free week trial on cheapfree.com [it's a free stuff site]. Found my wife on there and haven't looked back!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I met my husband via a personal ad in a weekly paper (back in the DAY). This was before online dating sites.

My 71-year-old mother met her fiance on Match. :)
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    Met my girlfriend on POF
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on OkCupid. Next week will be our 1 1/2-year anniversary :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I tried Match.com, Christian Mingle, and Craigslist for about 3 months combined. Out of the 150+ who originally contacted me, I only met 3 nice guys. I got so fed up with the late night "meet me tonight" chats (what part of "I love the Lord and am very active in my church" says booty-call to these guys??), the long email convos that never resulted in a date (waste of my time!), and the guys who brought up sex before we'd even gone out (MOST of them!!) that I just quit my account even though I had plenty of paid time left.

Some good thing about online dating:
    1. The fact that I got so much attention, even if it rarely resulted in an actual date, really boosted my confidence
    2. That confidence boost helped me not settle with poor relationships... after all, there were plenty of guys waiting in line ;-)
    3. And I have no scientific proof on this, but I think that boost in confidence also resulted in other guys asking me out (that I met offline)
    4. I got to try new sporting events/restaurants/fun stuff to do that I would never have tried on my own
    5. One of my favorite friends I met on Match

The problem is, there are a lot of creeps! And I just didn't have time to keep wading through the creeps.