11 Year old needs help

Options
1234568»

Replies

• nesstle
    nesstle Posts: 62
    Options
    When I was her age I was considered fat, but then puberty kicked in and my body started adapting , I stayed the same weight but grew into myself and by time i was 14 I filled very well and was a normal weight.
    There wad two rules in my house that kept m e from being overweight , mum had tons of fresh fruits and vegies around for us, no junk in the house so we didn't eat it, it was a treat you had at birthdays.
    And 2 you have to play a winter sport , I played netball hated it, but changed to soccer and loved it! Was great at it.

Oh and a 3rd was you don't eat the food given you go hungry.

Kids will do as they are told.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! My 11 year old daughter is having such a tough year...

She lost 2 Great Grandmothers over a period of 6 months and had her ADHD medication changed. she is Theater kid NOT a sport kid AT ALL... Cheerleading was the best we could get from her. She has flat feet and is overweight, although not by that much. She seems to be stalled in the height area and I see her watching the other girls her age grow taller and thinner.

My daugher is about 20 lbs overweight. She also has only one friend who is most definintely obese.

I worry constantly about her and dont know where to begin to help her without screwing with her head. Any ideas on how to get her off her butt and moving? she is very solitary and sedintary...and quite happy that way.

She also eats like cr*p... and has since birth (she was a preemie and has always had an aversion to textures) so she does not eat any fruits or veggies AT ALL (except for French Fries)

this child is so beautiful (literally has the face of a model) and can sing like an angel, I just worry that her weight will become more of an issue as she gets older adn I want her to be healthy!

any suggestions would be great
    Well I'm betting she doesn't grocery shop. It should start with food. As for exercise, she just needs to be introduced to something she will probably do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • moleighsmom
    moleighsmom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the dancing games on the wii are good for kids and get them up and moving without realizing it. I have a friend with a 4 year old that loves to play Just dance and will try to do the dances with us when we play. It is fun for all!

My kids are always jumping in to do the Wii Zumba with me, or maybe another workout video you could tell her you need "help" with. Also got Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Simple cookbook. Sneaks veggies in everything, even desserts!

But I know all too well about not wanting to mess with her mind. My father-in-law did quite a number on my daughter, years later we are still working through it. As long as you focus on being healthy and having fun doing it, you will be on the right track. Glad she has a mommy that takes such an interest.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Leadership by example.......she is 11 years old....she learns from her mother.Try and get her to partake in the activities that you do!! It may make her more motivated doing activities with her mom therefore lose some weight.....