WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! I'm going on vacation soon to an all-inclusive resort. I'm looking for strategies to keep my weight gain to a minimum while still enjoying all the good food and drinks :drinker: I'm hoping all of you can give me some suggestions.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone & welcome to new friends. You are so welcome here & will love to visit I'm sure.

Well done to all who have lost weight or maintained. Even if you didn't do as well as you would have liked, you've come back & will gain inspiration for a new day of healthy living.

Virginia - you look absolutely fab-u-lous. Your hard work has so paid off. Congratulations! You are an inspiration

Robin, your little one is just too gorgeous for words!

Genelace, it's good to her your DBF is on the mend & the teal in your hair looks fab. I'm due for a new 'do'. My hair looks like an explosion at a mattress factory! Only 5 days to go.

Suzy, thanks for sharing the meringue recipe. My favourite.

Jb, thanks for sharing the quotes. Some beautiful & thought provoking words there

Thank you for the exercise tips ladies. Like Frogmama, exercise at home just doesn't do it for me. We only have a small house & I just can't bring myself to exercise with DH there. i just need to make more effort but after an 8 or 9 hour day at work, everything i really enjoy requires me to sit - sewing, readng, genealogy & recently knitting. Maybe audiobooks on my iPod. Been too scared to use it at the gym for fear I forget where I am & start singing:laugh:

I've re-discovered sprouting my own beans & seeds last week & had fresh mung bean sprouts a couple of days. I trying aduki beans at the moment. Boy are they slow. Do any of you ladies do this & if so do you have favourite beans or seeds?

I achieved this weeks goal of loosing 2lbs (plus a smidgin more) so next week I will loose another 2 lbs & visit the gym 5 times.

Well this has turned into a bit of a saga so I wish you all a wonderful week.

Geri in England
  • skinnyjean10
    Options
    Oh good, I'm not the only one that has to lose more and over 50. :laugh: I'm skinny10 and continuing my goal from 2 1/2 years ago. I was 320 lbs and lost 135 lbs then I gained 30 over the holidays since Thanksgiving. :embarassed: Wow, jaks, she looks so-o good, congratulations to whoever that is. I have been so stressed out because I had a couple of surgeries where I wasn't allowed to walk, stand, or exercise for three months. Now that I'm back in school and walking but not exercising which I'm going to start again on Tuesday after the holiday tomorrow. I have a membership with the school I go to and I've been instructed to start slowly and work my way up. I will workout 4 days a week, I'm going start 20-30 min a day.

I've been stressing out because I was forced to watch my brother eat and I got a little depressed about it. He's morbidly obese, it is the first time I've seen him this heavy in 10 years that I haven't seen him since 2001 when our parents passed on within months of each other. He realized something about me when I was the one morbidly obese for 15 years the last time we saw each other (2001), it runs in our father's family and he is learning to eat right by accepting what I buy. He lives with me and I was spoiling him by feeding him his favorite foods but I stopped 1 1/2 months ago because I told him I didn't like myself going in the wrong direction. So I started buying more healthy foods that I ate prior to when he moved in with me in August 2010. He couldn't believe how healthy I was and how I lost over 100+ lbs then he started thinking he was tired of being fat. I was hoping he admitted to himself. So now I have to set another example for him to find the right exercises for himself and start doing them.

I have always been there for my family and shown them how to stand on their own two feet in every phase of our lives because I wasn't afraid to stand up to ignorance. I feel good about myself and I learned how to modify my diet to accommodate several medical conditions I have. I couldn't understand why I couldn't follow through an exercise program when I was in denial that I had to find how to modify certain exercises by making certain changes in some of them to accommodate me. :wink: When I took a semester off (Fall 2011), I was unable to go grocery shopping and had to depend on my brother to do it but he didn't know how to shop healthy and I was forced to eat what he bought and ate. Now I'm able to go grocery shopping and cook, he has been willing to eat the same things I eat and do some of the cooking with the foods I buy. It's hard for me to do everything myself every day and I'm glad he's helping me.

I have one niece but no nephews and she has two sons, and also going to school. I encouraged her to take a nutrition class last semester and it changed her view and attitude about how she was feeding her family. She followed what I learned about nutrition and made some changes in a lot of her recipes and started doing an exercise program then realized that she felt better making some changes she had more energy to do more with her family. :happy: So women of our age can still influence our loved ones by example and I find it very true. Thanks for reading my post and I'll post sometime this week. I put a reminder on my forehead so I don't forget. :laugh:

17749157.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Wow! Virginia you look awesome. Nice pix and I love the fedora.

I had a bit of a scare yesterday. It just really proves how much we have grown to depend on technology.

I lost my husband for a while but I found him again.:love: . He was supposed to call when he landed at the airport so we could pick him up. 2 hours after his flight still no call. Plus he hadn't called me before he got on the plane so of course I convinced myself he was in an accident and never made it to the airport so I called the airline and confirmed he had been on the plane so I knew he was here and I figured he either lost of forgot his phone.
    The problem lies in the fact that he no longer know sanyone's number because it is all in his phone. He doesn't know the address, it is in his phone under navigation. He was at a loss as to what to do, he tried looking up our son in law in the white pages and although they are listed the white pages are archaic and out of date. I paged him at the airport for ever but he was out side at passenger pick up hoping we would show up. After I confirmed he was in Vegas, we went and looked for him just at the moment he went inside to see if I had called the airline, so we missed him on the drive by and then parked and went in. We searched the baggage area and the closest airport bar, paged him again and then started heading back for the car feeling so upset and out of control. what was I going to do? What was he going to do? As we crossed the walkway towards the parking garage I finally saw him at passenger pick up area. I ran at a full on sprint and nearly tackled him. :laugh: I was so relieved to have found him. I really never want to have those feelings again. :noway:

I hope you all have an awesome day. I will spend my in vegas sun with my husband, daughter, son-in-law, grand dog and of course my beautiful Olivia Jeannette, ma peu de petite fille. (granddaughter):happy:

Isn't it amazing and scary that we have all this technology and depend on it so much, I always knew phone numbers and now zippo, I depend on my phone cause you locate who you want to call push a button and it dials...i don't know either one of my kids number by heart, I do know my DIL as her # is close to mine.
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies...Where has the weekend Gone ???

Virginia...you are the Poster Child for "Fab at 50"....you look beautiful...at least 15 years younger than your before picture! Congratulations...you are an inspiration!

Had a very fun evening at the Fundraiser. Did some dancing, food was pretty healthy, did imbibe in a couple of drinks...but that was okay too. Won a silent auction for a wine-tasting for 4 and a "wine & art" event for 2. That is where you go do something artsy and drink wine. Erin (my daughter) will probably do this with me...she is artsy ... I am not, so at least 50% of the outcome will be decent. Will most likely do the wine-tasting with hubby, Erin & her boyfriend. By the end of the night I had logged over 20,000 steps on my pedometer, and it recorded 10 bonus WW exercise points. I felt like the day was a success.

Finally the bathroom is back together, which means every other room on that end of the house is back together. Just need to find some sort of window treatment...but we've picked a color that might make it difficult. We'll see. Overall very happy with the end result of the bathroom update.

I told my husband this afternoon we need to book a long get-a-away weekend someplace, because we have just bee working our fannies off on weekends. When we go away, we are professional vacationers, and it is so nice to have no job list hanging around.

Have a healthy rest of the weekend...Monday is coming waaaaaaay to quickly.

MEG
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, Dear Ladies,

Virginia: WOW and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You look awesome and I love your photos...thanks so much for sharing. You are a great inspiration and you should feel awesome about what you have achieved:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Robin: My DH doesn't know anyone's numbers either and I keep telling him he needs to know a few! I can imagine how frightened you must have been :frown: :frown: ...it's a great example of how very tethered to our devices we are! Enjoy your time!!!

Meg: Your evening sounds like it was fun. And finishing your project, even better!!!

Barbie: Good for you for your 33,000 steps with your friend and her "errand"...that's a LOT of steps and a great way to visit too!

Geri in England: Congratulations on your 2 pound loss! That is wonderful and good luck with the "next" loss. Exercise is a huge help in so many ways:flowerforyou:

jb: Thanks again for your great quotes...and I can only imagine the blues with no sun!!! I do not do well with gray days at all!!! Good luck and keep the great inspiration coming. Maybe you wrote some of your own today???

Michelle: Hope you're having fun in FL!!!:glasses:

DH and I did "first tracks" this morning, which is a wonderful event the resort offers homeowners from time to time...we get to ski before the lifts open to the public and then they provide a breakfast for everyone in the lodge. We got 5 new inches of snow overnight and then the sun came out as we all headed out at 8am...just perfect! After some more runs, I came home to make some vegetable soup to have on hand the next few days. Just had some and think I will take a long bath and maybe have a lazy afternoon!

Take care, All!!! Kackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! I'm going on vacation soon to an all-inclusive resort. I'm looking for strategies to keep my weight gain to a minimum while still enjoying all the good food and drinks :drinker: I'm hoping all of you can give me some suggestions.

:bigsmile: I am assuming that there will be more going on at this resort than just food and drink.......find all the things there are to do and see that don't involve eating and make them the focus of your vacation.:bigsmile: make "enjoying the good food and drink" the least important of your goals for the vacation......there are a lot of ways to have fun.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Barbie- Nice way to visit with your friend with no extra calories!

Robin- Glad you found your husband and that he was safe! I really don't know any phone numbers either except for my husband's cell. Maybe I should start learning them.

Geri- Congratulations on the 2 pound loss. I never trie sprouting my own beans, but it sounds fun

Skinny10- Sounds like you have a plan to get right back on track. Take the exercise slow.

Today as I was running with my lab in the park, I came around turn and there was a lady laying on the ground with a Rottweiler on a leash. I called to her and she said that she thought she broke her ankle when she slipped on the ice. She was dog sitting, and said that the dog goes nuts with other dogs. Oh great. I called 911 and we talked from a distance until help came. I had to flag over the police because we were in an area that is closed to traffic for the winter. You can bet I was pretty careful on the rest of my run.

I also met a friend for lunch today but I still did pretty good. I ordered a greek yogurt parfait. It comes served in a sundae glass, layered with fruit and granola on top. It looked and tasted great.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    virginia, you look AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an inspiration you are, thank you so much for sharing the pics.....i glad you are getting more hats the look lovely on you
  • ddmjwm29
    ddmjwm29 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot. Great posts!
  • scompton54
    Options
    I read the posts every day but I don't always respond. I do want you all to know that I enjoy getting to know you all, I'm just not very good at remembering everything so I can respond, even though I often think, I must remember that.

I had a good week work and exercise wise, not so great on the food and wine front though. I went X country skiing again today with the group I joined (3 1/2 hours this week and I am not dying), and the conditions were perfect! I skied with a woman who has bad knees and as a result, skied slower but better. I find I am really improving and didn't fall once, on the hills, though I did trip over my skis once and went down but that was mainly incompetence rather than fear of falling which is why I had been falling before. I am really loving this group....they are all so friendly and supportive. :love:

@ mimi....I really loved Major Pettigrew's Last Stand as well.

@Virginia.....you look hot!!

Someone mentioned Meetup and I have joined a couple of book clubs through them. I love to read and it's nice to meet like minded people. Part of my personal journey is not only to lose weight but to make changes in my life to enrich it through new friendships so I am kind of working on myself on two fronts. A lot of my old friends have moved away, stayed stuck or changed directions in ways I don't want to to go, so I have been trying to make new, healthy choices, both intellectually and physically. It's not easy but I like the challenge and the new possibilities. I remember going through a similar change when I was 20, a bit harder when I am 58 but still do-able.

Anyway, just wanted to say that my day starts with you ladies, reading the posts and getting inspiration, even though I don't always recognize each and every one of you.

regards

Sarah
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    frogmama - 'vince won't go see a movie unless things blow up, so I understand how you feel. That was so nice of you to call 911 for that lady!

Viv - your cats are so cute! Like the sign at our Humane Society says "cats are like potato chips....you can't stop at just one". When we were driving down here, my sinuses started acting up so I took a Sudafed. I woke up at 4 in the morning and was a bit dizzy. but I was able to do yoga. The last time I was dizzy (I couldn't do yoga) Vince suggested it might be sinuses so I took a Sudafed and the dizziness went away. I'm becoming convinced that the pollen count being so high has something to do with it. I'm feeling much better right now, just dried out from the Sudafed which is totally normal. When you talked about feeling "weird" when you bent down, that sounds to me a lot like when I have a sinus problem.

The last time we came down here, I brought the vitamins in the big bottle. Vince said to me "you don't need to bring all those, just bring what you need". Guess what he forgot???? So we had to go to the store to buy some more. We can always take them back and use them, but it's interesting how he asked me if I'd brought the big bottle after telling me that I don't need to bring it.

Tomorrow I'll take a step class that they have at this Y. I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do Tues.

kayms - where will you be going? When will you be leaving? For how long?

It was so windy today down here, the condo didn't even open up the pool. I WAS going to fix my hair before we went out to dinner, but I knew that the minute I went out the door, it would get blown away, so I didn't bother. A new sub place opened in the town so we tried it. I had a salad (unfortunately, only iceburg lettuce, and did they ever give you a lot -- I only ate a bit) with a grilled chicken breast cut up, a bit of tomato and onion. Only had water to drink. That filled me up

About exercising at home - I can't do it all the time, however, there are times when I need to do something at home (it doesn't work into my schedule to go to the Y), but I could never do it all the time.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Sarah: After reading your post just now I had to comment...I think you are very wise to be looking for new friendships and connections with people who are moving in the direction that you want to go...I think the most successful stategy to getting older is to keep making new friends and trying new things. Easier said than done, I admit. I have moved often during my married life and find myself "tired" of putting myself out there over and over again, but it is important to do it! Your cross country group sounds fun and healthy. I am impressed and need to do better myself in this regard. I read the book "The Happiness Project" (I think that's the right title) and it really lays out a map similar to what you are doing as the path to being "Happy". Keep us posted on your "Path"...I like it!:flowerforyou:

Good night again! kackie
  • brunsda
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Virginia your photos are wonderful. What an accomplishment you have achieved.

rjadams what a scary experience! I know very few numbers anymore

Kayms13 Have a wonderful vacation. Just take 2-3 bites of the food you know is not a good choice for you and really enjoy it. That way you will still get to
    have a taste. Those first few bites are usually the best ones anyway.
  • scompton54
    Options
    @kackie.. I was unhappy with some parts of my life and I started to look for ways to make myself happier, It was reading The Happiness Project that started me on my goal setting journey. I read it last fall and started to implement the goals in November. I had already started working out a couple of years ago and had lost some weight, but I was slipping back. Usually we over eat or (insert bad behaviour here) because we are not happy with some aspects of our life. We can't change overnight, but we can make several and sometimes small changes, over time, that make us feel happier and therefore, less dependent on our go to comforts. I am not always successful, but I keep on trying.

Sarah
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I caught a cold. Ugh! BUT today was a good day because my daughter hosted the entire family for lunch. Usually Sundays mean the entire family comes to our house for lunch and we all play games etc.... that means I usually have 16 people in the house. Today I went to my daughter's house, ate, enjoyed the grandkids and then went home and crawled in bed for a nap. From the others in the family that have had this cold it runs about three days. Hopefully it will pass quickly because that grandbaby is sure to make an appearance here any day! (due date was Friday) and by-golly-gee I'm gonna be there! lol (Mom to be has requested me there for labor, I get kicked out for birth, which is just fine with me... that's a mom and dad alone moment as far as I'm concerned. Love my daughter but don't need to see her that intimately lol)

Virginia, you look great.

Sarah, I like your attitude. Sometimes we need changes and if the folks around us aren't supportive we need to find some that are.

I'm missing my trainer sessions so I'm looking into a new gym for training. I just can't do the drive for my old trainer although he is really awesome. Does anyone here go to a Crossfit gym for classes?
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Sarah, you sound like me talking. I relate so much to what you said. After 6 years of being stuck in a rut, I've just recently started to venture out. Most of my friends have moved out of the area but I have lots of family nearby so it was easy to stay in my cocoon. I finally kick-started my social life by joining several Meetup groups - a couple of book clubs and some walking and hiking groups. I think my kids are glad although "grandma" is not as available to them as she used to be! As soon as I finish up here, I'm going to look at The Happiness Project. It must be worthwhile since both you and Kackie (who is one of the most awesome of the old-timers here - not old, mind you, just an old-timer!) mentioned it.

Mimi SVQ
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    well I survived the baby shower, Im pretty sure I didnt go over calories, as I had one small sandwich and potato salad. The 2 or 3 or was it 4 small glasses of wine may have but oh well, this is my new grandaughter to be and we had a fun nice time. Was excited because my bff was there and I havent seen her in a few weeks, notice I lost some weight WOOHOOO :). Am concered about next weeks eating, I havent had time this weekend to go to grocery store don't want to fall of the edge this week.

Sherry
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Virginia, the Glamour Shots are gorgeous! Your transformation is absolutely amazing!!

Thanks for sharing the pics.
    Linda
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread; marking my place to come back later and read! Good night everyone.