Like We Don't Know This Already!

Options

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Look, one should be careful in criticizing the lifestyle choice of others. You can always look in the mirror and ask more of yourself first. Like, why am I not out helping feed the poor or homeless instead of using electricity burining fossil fuels that pollute our earth typing on a message board.

No one's a saint and no matter how much you care about this or that there is someone who is doing more than you who thinks the reason's you give to not do more are a mere copout as well.

Tebow...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    that are raised in their natural habitat and treated humanely.
    Yes we know you're better than the rest of us. Please stop your preaching already. We get it.

Personally I think if you haven't raced a Half Ironman or longer distance you're lazy...

It's official. I am lazy.

No you've run a marathon, I'll give you a pass this one time...

I'm lazy. I knew that already, though. I'm just announcing it.
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    maybe we could turn this into a support thread, or an intervention? "Hi my name is Erica and I hate my family because I drink cokes and don't always cook everything from scratch and personally think 'organic' is a crock of ****. even farmers use pesticides, at least my dad did when we had a garden when I was little. Wait does that mean my dad hates his family because he used pesticides. Well now I guess I have issues with my dad now.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: oh and when I was growing up we had at least one cow we rasied just to kill but he fed it more than just grass. Oh why does my dad hate me?! :sad: :sad:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I love ingesting chemicals, I ingest them on a daily basis. In fact I love foods that contain the following chemical composition:
    (CH3)2CHCH=CH(CH2)4CONHCH2C6H3-4-(OH)-3-(OCH3)) drool.gif
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I only drink soda with my rum!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

So let me guess, if I showed you a container with this ingredients list on it, you'd pass right?
    Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

Can't say I blame you, a lot of scary sounding and scary looking chemicals in there, like aspartic acid, definitely something to avoid, right?

It's the "ingredients list" for an orange. As far as the human body is concerned there is NO SUCH THING as a "one ingredient food." Eat an orange, and the body sees it as that ingredients list is, it doesn't see "orange." It doesn't recognize "soda," "steak," "carrot," or any other food, it only recognizes the chemical components that make up what you eat on a molecular level, and treats those chemicals the same way, no matter where they come from. Sugar from a soda is broken down and burned in the exact same way as the sugar from an orange.

WINNER!!!!!!! Well played my dear! Well played!! Bravo!
  • jennmartin82
    Options
    maybe we could turn this into a support thread, or an intervention? "Hi my name is Erica and I hate my family because I drink cokes and don't always cook everything from scratch and personally think 'organic' is a crock of ****. even farmers use pesticides, at least my dad did when we had a garden when I was little. Wait does that mean my dad hates his family because he used pesticides. Well now I guess I have issues with my dad now.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: oh and when I was growing up we had at least one cow we rasied just to kill but he fed it more than just grass. Oh why does my dad hate me?! :sad: :sad:

hahahahahaha!! :drinker:
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

No one said that vegetables and fruits need to be organic...............

I am talking about basic cooking a REAL meal, not some frozen or boxed throw in the oven or microwave crap. It is excuses to say that eating Mc Donald's or a frozen pizza is cheaper than cooking a real meal.

That is an excuse and not true. I don't eat 100% organic, but you best believe I don't have any boxed, packaged or frozen ready to eat meals in my freezer, pantry or refrigerator.

I buy frozen or fresh fruits and vegetables (Coop and CSA), meats that are raised in their natural habitat and treated humanely.

Everyone has busy lives. If I can make time to work full time, run a business part time, go to school, exercise, spend time with my husband and dogs and still have time to cook, clean and take care of everything else in my house, then others should really sit down and make their priorities straight.

I was brought up in a household that my mom and dad felt that people that won't even take the time to make something from scratch and instead will bake a cake from a box or make a meal from a package really don't care.

So i am a horrible person because sometimes I am just to tired to cook a meal??? awesome.. I shall take my seat in hell happily...

My priorities are straight. for me.. you can disagree all you want...
    90% of my food is actually cooked at home.. on my stove... I eat fast good about 3 maybe 4 times a year... because I can't afford to eat out... you know.. student loans... and bills... and running a house.. and such kind of take up my money.. so yeah... and perhaps my time managment isn't as awesome as yours.. I work full time... i look after a 7 year old while her father works long hours ... I have friends.. I have a life.. I work out regularly, and up until recently I was a full time student too.. ... so if you want to sit on your perch and judge go hard... I live by an 80 - 20 rule which works perfect for me... you don't have to agree.. I just said I do not wish for your sympathy...

its nice you were brought up to think people don't care because 90% of people dont.. but don't tell me I do not care about my health If i didn't I sure as hell wouldnt have joined MFP to try and get *kitten* under control. because I sure as hell do.. would i love to be able to go buy meat from a farmer that I know was ethically treated well, and free range and has no extra antibiotics in it... oh you bet I would... but at this point in time... I can't afford to do that so I don't... and yes I may be supporting horrible treat ment of animals and corporations or w/e ... but I have made peace with that... you really should too...
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Every day tbh :) No reason not to, unless you like believing all the scaremonger stuff out there.

It is not scare mongering stuff. These chemicals, preservatives and crap are obviously not good for the body. Too bad people don't care enough about themselves or their loved ones to stay away from this crap.

judgemental much?
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    So let me guess, if I showed you a container with this ingredients list on it, you'd pass right?
    Water, glucose, fructose, galactose, phenolic glycosides, 6-deoxyaldohexoses (fuctose and rhamnose), saccharose, galacturonans, (1-4) linked D-galactopiranuronic acid, pectin, pectinic acids, polygalacturonic acids, pectinestarase, Citric Acid, L-Malic Acid, D-Isocitric Acid, Oxalic Acid, Succinic Acid, Malonic Acid, Quinic Acid, Tartaric Acid, Adipic Acid, 2-ketogluratic Acid, praline, asparagines, aspartic acid, serine, glutamic acid and arginine. oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases and lyases, isomerases and ligases, glucosilglucerides, Carotenoids, tetraterpenes, limonin, aslimonoic acid A-ring lactone, neohesperidosides, flavones (3-hydroxyflavanones, 3-dydroxyflavones, O-glycosyl, aglycones C-glycosylflavones, Anthocyanins, (hesperidin, naringin, poncirin, neoheriocitrin, neohesperidin, rhoifolin, rutin, diosmin, sinensetin, auranetin, tangeritin, hydroxyethylrutinosideres, nobiletin cyanidin-3-glucoside, cyanidina-3.5-diglucoside, peonidin-5-glucoside, delphinidin-3-glucoside, petunidin-3-glucoside, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Pholacine, Vitamin B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pantotenic acid, Vitamin A.

Can't say I blame you, a lot of scary sounding and scary looking chemicals in there, like aspartic acid, definitely something to avoid, right?

It's the "ingredients list" for an orange.
    Holy ****! Galactose is in my orange?!

200px-Galactus04.jpg
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I am sipping on a Diet Sierra Mist right now. mmmmm refreshing.

Is it made of crap? You'd better believe it! Do I give a crap? Nope not one bit!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
    :huh:

You may only seem healthy for now. Until you get sick one time and end up having to take way stronger antibiotics because your body is immune to the standard antibiotics from ingesting factory farmed CAFO meats.

I suppose you don't care how animals are treated before they go to slaughter? You don't care the source of your food and such.

This attitude is precisely why Cargill, Monsanto and all these other companies are winning. Because people don't care.

seriously you are going to blame super bugs on antibiotics that had been process through a digestive system and any residual has been cooked? yep becuase super bugs aren't created by people who sneeze, fart funny, have a green runny nose, have a VIRUS who INSIST that they need antibiotics to get better but stop taking the antibiotics when they feel better. don't even get me started on needless use of antibiotics. that is your problem with super bugs ex Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin resistant entercoccui, Acinetobacter baumannii , the list goes on and on. Don't even act like you don't think I know what I'm talking about because I spent 6 months with Vanderbilt University Medical Center in infection control and prevention and this was my job. To go through labs and deicde who needed to be on contact precautions based on what their labs grew. But yeah super bugs because of antibiotics given to animals makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up......

I think I got myself a new girl crush :heart: :love: :ohwell:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's the "ingredients list" for an orange.
    Holy ****! Galactose is in my orange?!

200px-Galactus04.jpg

And now you know why they call them "super" foods.

http://instantrimshot.com
  • For_the_Last_Time
    For_the_Last_Time Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Every day tbh :) No reason not to, unless you like believing all the scaremonger stuff out there.

It is not scare mongering stuff. These chemicals, preservatives and crap are obviously not good for the body. Too bad people don't care enough about themselves or their loved ones to stay away from this crap.

So you have cared about this stuff your whole life? Just wondering how is it you came to be here?

I actually care very much about my loved ones hence the reason I am here!

____

Side note in Wi it is soda, now live in Pa and here it is pop.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    COKE KILLS

I had a friend die from Coke.

He was tipping a Coke machine and it toppled on top of him.:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now I am off to eat some orange chicken from Panda Express.
    OMG this was funny, and the one about the butter eating grass too, I was feeling really crappy this morning so thanks for cheerinig me up! Btw, I drink sodas every now and then. Years ago I drank them daily - BACK WHEN I WAS SLIM - and since the atmosphere is filled with chemical and pollutants:smokin: maybe our bodies have somewhat become immune to whatever is in a soda...glad I'm not dead yet though because my carbonated drink of choice is beer. I'm from the south and whether it be alcohol or soda we call it a 'drink' - go figure - :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you are feeding any of these to your family, you obviously don't care about them. :angry:

Raw Food Toxins

Apple & Apricot Seeds

Contain a cyanogenic glycoside: amygdalin. AKA laetrile, prussic acid, vitamin B17. Amygdalin is claimed to be an anti-cancer compound. It releases toxic cyanide when digested.

Apple seeds tend to get swallowed without chewing when eating whole apples, so the amygdalin doesn't affect you. Blending apple seeds breaks them open, making the amygdalin available.

A few seeds probably won't hurt, but you may want to remove the seeds from apples before blending. You can easily do this by slicing the apple into quarters from top to bottom, then cutting out a wedge from each piece to remove the core.

Apricot seeds have a lot of amygdalin. Apple and pear seeds, also nectarine, peach and plum seeds, have enough amygdalin that you can taste it; a bitter medicinal taste. Citrus seeds don't have any amygdalin. Heat destroys the toxin, making the seeds safe to eat - sometimes. If cooked for too short a time, at too low a temperature, you may have problems.

Acute cyanide toxicity caused by apricot kernel ingestion. Ann Emerg Med
    Amygdalin use results in cyanide going into the blood. JAMA
    A little girl almost died from cyanide poisoning after swallowing laetrile. Pediatrics
    Death from hepatic necrosis (liver cell death) after laetrile use. South Med J
    Neuromyopathy (damage to nerves and muscles) from using laetrile. Cancer
    Amygdalin causes cyanide toxicity in cancer patients. NEJM.org
    wikipedia.org/hydrogencyanide
    Cassava contains a substance similar to amygdalin, that releases cyanide. Cultures that regularly eat cassava, know how to cook it to destroy the toxin. But sometimes there's more toxin than normal, or they don't cook it long enough, and people get sick or die. So don't try cooking apricot seeds. It's not worth the risk.

Cassava toxicity FAO.org
    Cyanide danger in uncooked cassava. AsiaFood.org
    Mass cyanide poisoning by undercooked cassava. CNN.com
    Alfalfa Seeds & Sprouts

Contain canavanine, an amino acid that can worsen lupus. Large enough amounts could, in theory, create problems with immune function.

sproutnet.com/Research/simplified_method_for_canavanine
    sproutnet.com/Nutrition/Research/reexamination_of_canavanine_disa.htm
    Blue-Green Algae (Klamath Lake algae, not Spirulina)

Some people get cold, spacy and ungrounded from eating blue-green algae. One man told me he developed tingling and numbness after eating large amounts of blue-green algae for a long time, which gradually went away after he stopped using it. Makes some people wheeze, even in small amounts.

Buckwheat Greens

Buckwheat greens contain fagopyrin, which can create photosensitivity (meaning increased sensitivity to sunburn and skin cancer). Fagopyrin can also create nerve problems: tingling, numbness, etc. Buckwheat grain does not cause problems, just the greens grown from it.

GillesArbour.com Are Buckwheat Greens Toxic?
    Celery, Parsley, Parsnips

Celery, celery root, parsley, & parsnips contain toxins called psoralens, aka furocoumarin. Psoralens can cause phytophotodermatitis. That means sensitivity to sunlight, caused by contact with a plant. Handling these plants & sunbathing can lead to bad sunburn, rashes, blisters, and skin discoloration. Photosensitivity from eating these vegetables can happen, but it's very unusual.

Parsley
    An outbreak of phytophotodermatitis due to celery.
    Phytophotodermatitis from celery among grocery store workers.
    Dermatitis in grocery workers associated with high natural concentrations of furanocoumarins in celery.
    Severe phototoxic burn following celery ingestion.
    Figs

Handling figs and being exposed to sunlight can lead to sunburns or rashes.

Phytophotodermatitis due to figs.
    Phototoxic reaction to figs
    Kelp

Arsenic toxicity from kelp supplements.

EHPOnline.org
    Limes

Phytophotodermatitis simulating child abuse.
    Mushrooms: Common

Hydrazines are toxins found in uncooked mushrooms. Cooking destroys them. The common button mushrooms sold in most markets, and portobello mushrooms contain hydrazines.

bellybytes.com/bytes/mushrooms
    evergreen.edu/mushrooms
    odu.edu/mushroompages
    forcesduluth.com
    fungi-zette.com/mushraw
    Mushrooms: Shiitake

Determination of naturally-occurring formaldehyde in raw and cooked Shiitake mushrooms
    Allergy and toxicodermia from shiitake mushrooms
    [Shiitake dermatitis: shiitake mushrooms must be cooked before their use]
    Flagellate Mushroom (Shiitake) Dermatitis and Photosensitivity
    Potato

Toxic substances and antinutritional factors: Potato FAO.org
    Sweet Potato

Sweet potato shows trypsin inhibitor activity. That means it contains an enzyme inhibitor that blocks the action of trypsin, an enzyme that digests proteins. The trypsin inhibitor prevents the digestion of protein. Sweet potatoes with higher protein levels have more of the trypsin inhibitor. This makes raw sweet potato difficult to digest. The trypsin inhibitor is deactivated by cooking.

One way the raw food diet helps people is by supplying food enzymes. Food enzymes do part of the work of digesting the raw food. Enzyme inhibitors increase the amount of work that your body needs to do to digest foods. Enzyme inhibitors force your body to produce more digestive enzymes. This uses up resources that could be used to produce detoxifying enzymes. When animals are regularly fed enzyme inhibitors in research, they become sick. Sweet potato should not be eaten raw.

Toxic substances and antinutritional factors: Sweet Potato FAO.org
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

Oh please. This is exactly the type of attitude that turns people away from your viewpoint. You're honestly going to suggest that drinking soda means that you don't care about your family? Really? :noway:

Think what you want. I know people that truly care for their family and themselves will have their family eat, drink and care for themselves in the most healthful manner possible.

I feel so sad for so many people on this website that don't even care what is in the food they eat, the evil corporations they are supporting and you all are only making them richer while you will eventually degrade your bodies.

SMH

Please do not feel bad afor me because I DO care, but in all honesty shopping organically at a grocery store is WAY too expensive, farmers markets here only last until about November (If we are lucky) and growing my own food can only take place during the summer and I do not have time to do canning and *kitten*... so I shop where economically fesible which means no orgaincally grown foods... and OMG chemically abused animals... and even better sometimes it is MECHANICALLY SEPERATED because I do not have time to cook so I eat FROZEN meals... and you know what?? I am 100% healthy - other than my weight my blood tests are perfect...

So think what you will about me but do not feel sorry for me.

You may only seem healthy for now. Until you get sick one time and end up having to take way stronger antibiotics because your body is immune to the standard antibiotics from ingesting factory farmed CAFO meats.

I suppose you don't care how animals are treated before they go to slaughter? You don't care the source of your food and such.

This attitude is precisely why Cargill, Monsanto and all these other companies are winning. Because people don't care.

I hope one day people will wake up and see that these food manufacturers don't have anyone's best interest at heart, only their bottom line. Maybe when 90% of all people have dimentia, diabetes and cancer - people will then wake up.

And the part about not having time, is a cop out and an excuse.
    Did you miss the part where she mentioned that she can't afford to eat organically? A lot of people can't. Sometimes it has nothing to do with caring. If it comes down to your family eating ramen noodles or not eating at all, ramen noodles are still the healthier option.

I am talking about basic cooking a REAL meal, not some frozen or boxed throw in the oven or microwave crap. It is excuses to say that eating Mc Donald's or a frozen pizza is cheaper than cooking a real meal.

That is an excuse and not true. I don't eat 100% organic, but you best believe I don't have any boxed, packaged or frozen ready to eat meals in my freezer, pantry or refrigerator.

I buy frozen or fresh fruits and vegetables (Coop and CSA), meats that are raised in their natural habitat and treated humanely.

Everyone has busy lives. If I can make time to work full time, run a business part time, go to school, exercise, spend time with my husband and dogs and still have time to cook, clean and take care of everything else in my house, then others should really sit down and make their priorities straight.

I was brought up in a household that my mom and dad felt that people that won't even take the time to make something from scratch and instead will bake a cake from a box or make a meal from a package really don't care.

Horse hockey. Seriously.

Oh yeah, I call it pop.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

Oh please. This is exactly the type of attitude that turns people away from your viewpoint. You're honestly going to suggest that drinking soda means that you don't care about your family? Really? :noway:

Think what you want. I know people that truly care for their family and themselves will have their family eat, drink and care for themselves in the most healthful manner possible.

I feel so sad for so many people on this website that don't even care what is in the food they eat, the evil corporations they are supporting and you all are only making them richer while you will eventually degrade your bodies.

SMH

Please do not feel bad afor me because I DO care, but in all honesty shopping organically at a grocery store is WAY too expensive, farmers markets here only last until about November (If we are lucky) and growing my own food can only take place during the summer and I do not have time to do canning and *kitten*... so I shop where economically fesible which means no orgaincally grown foods... and OMG chemically abused animals... and even better sometimes it is MECHANICALLY SEPERATED because I do not have time to cook so I eat FROZEN meals... and you know what?? I am 100% healthy - other than my weight my blood tests are perfect...

I hope one day people will wake up and see that these food manufacturers don't have anyone's best interest at heart, only their bottom line. Maybe when 90% of all people have dimentia, diabetes and cancer - people will then wake up.

Did you miss the part where she mentioned that she can't afford to eat organically? A lot of people can't. Sometimes it has nothing to do with caring. If it comes down to your family eating ramen noodles or not eating at all, ramen noodles are still the healthier option.

I really don't care what you do, and I don't care what your standards are for what's considered healthy or acceptable food. I don't think any of us here are looking to you for guidelines. You say veggies don't need to be organic, so that's the end all be all, but other's might not agree with that. Worry more about what you're eating and stop being so judgmental because I really don't think anyone is taking you seriously right now.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If you are feeding any of these to your family, you obviously don't care about them. :angry:

Raw Food Toxins

Apple & Apricot Seeds

Contain a cyanogenic glycoside: amygdalin. AKA laetrile, prussic acid, vitamin B17. Amygdalin is claimed to be an anti-cancer compound. It releases toxic cyanide when digested.

Apple seeds tend to get swallowed without chewing when eating whole apples, so the amygdalin doesn't affect you. Blending apple seeds breaks them open, making the amygdalin available.

A few seeds probably won't hurt, but you may want to remove the seeds from apples before blending. You can easily do this by slicing the apple into quarters from top to bottom, then cutting out a wedge from each piece to remove the core.

Apricot seeds have a lot of amygdalin. Apple and pear seeds, also nectarine, peach and plum seeds, have enough amygdalin that you can taste it; a bitter medicinal taste. Citrus seeds don't have any amygdalin. Heat destroys the toxin, making the seeds safe to eat - sometimes. If cooked for too short a time, at too low a temperature, you may have problems.

Acute cyanide toxicity caused by apricot kernel ingestion. Ann Emerg Med
    Amygdalin use results in cyanide going into the blood. JAMA
    A little girl almost died from cyanide poisoning after swallowing laetrile. Pediatrics
    Death from hepatic necrosis (liver cell death) after laetrile use. South Med J
    Neuromyopathy (damage to nerves and muscles) from using laetrile. Cancer
    Amygdalin causes cyanide toxicity in cancer patients. NEJM.org
    wikipedia.org/hydrogencyanide
    Cassava contains a substance similar to amygdalin, that releases cyanide. Cultures that regularly eat cassava, know how to cook it to destroy the toxin. But sometimes there's more toxin than normal, or they don't cook it long enough, and people get sick or die. So don't try cooking apricot seeds. It's not worth the risk.

Cassava toxicity FAO.org
    Cyanide danger in uncooked cassava. AsiaFood.org
    Mass cyanide poisoning by undercooked cassava. CNN.com
    Alfalfa Seeds & Sprouts

Contain canavanine, an amino acid that can worsen lupus. Large enough amounts could, in theory, create problems with immune function.

sproutnet.com/Research/simplified_method_for_canavanine
    sproutnet.com/Nutrition/Research/reexamination_of_canavanine_disa.htm
    Blue-Green Algae (Klamath Lake algae, not Spirulina)

Some people get cold, spacy and ungrounded from eating blue-green algae. One man told me he developed tingling and numbness after eating large amounts of blue-green algae for a long time, which gradually went away after he stopped using it. Makes some people wheeze, even in small amounts.

Buckwheat Greens

Buckwheat greens contain fagopyrin, which can create photosensitivity (meaning increased sensitivity to sunburn and skin cancer). Fagopyrin can also create nerve problems: tingling, numbness, etc. Buckwheat grain does not cause problems, just the greens grown from it.

GillesArbour.com Are Buckwheat Greens Toxic?
    Celery, Parsley, Parsnips

Celery, celery root, parsley, & parsnips contain toxins called psoralens, aka furocoumarin. Psoralens can cause phytophotodermatitis. That means sensitivity to sunlight, caused by contact with a plant. Handling these plants & sunbathing can lead to bad sunburn, rashes, blisters, and skin discoloration. Photosensitivity from eating these vegetables can happen, but it's very unusual.

Parsley
    An outbreak of phytophotodermatitis due to celery.
    Phytophotodermatitis from celery among grocery store workers.
    Dermatitis in grocery workers associated with high natural concentrations of furanocoumarins in celery.
    Severe phototoxic burn following celery ingestion.
    Figs

Handling figs and being exposed to sunlight can lead to sunburns or rashes.

Phytophotodermatitis due to figs.
    Phototoxic reaction to figs
    Kelp

Arsenic toxicity from kelp supplements.

EHPOnline.org
    Limes

Phytophotodermatitis simulating child abuse.
    Mushrooms: Common

Hydrazines are toxins found in uncooked mushrooms. Cooking destroys them. The common button mushrooms sold in most markets, and portobello mushrooms contain hydrazines.

bellybytes.com/bytes/mushrooms
    evergreen.edu/mushrooms
    odu.edu/mushroompages
    forcesduluth.com
    fungi-zette.com/mushraw
    Mushrooms: Shiitake

Determination of naturally-occurring formaldehyde in raw and cooked Shiitake mushrooms
    Allergy and toxicodermia from shiitake mushrooms
    [Shiitake dermatitis: shiitake mushrooms must be cooked before their use]
    Flagellate Mushroom (Shiitake) Dermatitis and Photosensitivity
    Potato

Toxic substances and antinutritional factors: Potato FAO.org
    Sweet Potato

Sweet potato shows trypsin inhibitor activity. That means it contains an enzyme inhibitor that blocks the action of trypsin, an enzyme that digests proteins. The trypsin inhibitor prevents the digestion of protein. Sweet potatoes with higher protein levels have more of the trypsin inhibitor. This makes raw sweet potato difficult to digest. The trypsin inhibitor is deactivated by cooking.

One way the raw food diet helps people is by supplying food enzymes. Food enzymes do part of the work of digesting the raw food. Enzyme inhibitors increase the amount of work that your body needs to do to digest foods. Enzyme inhibitors force your body to produce more digestive enzymes. This uses up resources that could be used to produce detoxifying enzymes. When animals are regularly fed enzyme inhibitors in research, they become sick. Sweet potato should not be eaten raw.

Toxic substances and antinutritional factors: Sweet Potato FAO.org
    WellPlayed.jpg
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

SMH

Do you and/or your parents perchance attend or have even been a member of Westboro Baptist Church?