Replies

• mojomarie
    mojomarie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Double bump:)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've yet to see a person of faith ridicule an atheist on here.

I've seen it a number of times, myself.
    Why are the non-believers so threatened by those who believe?

As is usually the case, you shouldn't judge an entire group by the actions or your perceptions of a few.
  • mojomarie
    Options
    bwaaaahaaaa!!!! Awesome!!!:)
  • mojomarie
    Options
    LMAO!!!! How do you know, the second season isn't here?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's not that you can't, it's that they're not intersecting. Religion is faith. Faith is holding a belief in the absence of evidence that the belief is true. Faith has no place in science because science deals with evidence. When people try to warp science to support their beliefs (read: Creationism), that's when it becomes a problem.
    Science takes leaps of faith all the time. I'll stay tuned for another meme mocking religion.....

Do you have a source? Show me some recent studies that that are coming to conclusions via faith.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I've yet to see a person of faith ridicule an atheist on here.
    I've seen it a number of times, myself.
    Well, that is just as wrong.
    Why are the non-believers so threatened by those who believe?
    As is usually the case, you shouldn't judge an entire group by the actions or your perceptions of a few.

You're right. I apologize. I should have said SOME non-believers or "some of the non-believers in this thread".
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Have any of you read the OP's posts (besides the first one)? She is not a firm believer in God, nor does it appear that she has a firm belief in any particular religion. Hmmm, now what?
  • macpatti
    Options
    Have any of you read the OP's posts (besides the first one)? She is not a firm believer in God, nor does it appear that she has a firm belief in any particular religion. Hmmm, now what?
    What do you mean, "now what"? She may not be a "firm" believer, but she can still wonder about warding off evil spirits. No?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sure! And as I said before, I firmly believe that there are enough experts here to guide her. No need to look elsewhere.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Do you have a source? Show me some recent studies that that are coming to conclusions via faith.

Some pretty basic examples:

1. Science must “assume” the reliability of sense perception.
    2. Science must “assume” the human mind is able to know or understand the world.
    3. Science must “assume” the validity of inductive and deductive logic.
    4. Science must “assume” that the workings of the world today will continue to hold true tomorrow and were constant in the past.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

We've been getting occasional reports about this thread, and I wanted to clarify why, up to this point, we've been moderating the thread very lightly.

The guidelines relating to posts with religious content were updated around the time we debuted the "Groups" feature. At present, it's OK to reference religious material, such as a belief in God or use of various religious strategies to solve problems, as long as:

a) huge fights don't break out as a result
    b) threads in the public forums do not attempt to restrict participation to members of only certain religions.

So, a thread like "only seeking [insert specific religion] members' solutions to warding off evil spirits" is a clear guideline violation. But a general call for polite responses on this topic doesn't necessarily equal a guideline violation, even if the responses do reference religious content.

The guideline in question gives us the right to remove threads on "divisive topics," but if conversation is proceeding relatively politely, we'll try to under-moderate rather than over-moderate. Of course, if members are attacking or insulting each other, we'll moderate, too. As an example, I removed a few posts yesterday that were directly insulting of the OP.

If the thread is becoming a source of member-on-member insults, please report any guideline-violating post. Otherwise, the topic itself does not represent a guideline violation, nor do responses that reference religion.

As a sidenote, the only topics that garner immediate deletion or locking are those with a clear political agenda.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    1. Science must “assume” the reliability of sense perception.
    2. Science must “assume” the human mind is able to know or understand the world.
    3. Science must “assume” the validity of inductive and deductive logic.
    4. Science must “assume” that the workings of the world today will continue to hold true tomorrow and were constant in the past.

I'm not sure in what instance you're meaning #1. You have a point since something as basic as color is just our perception of how light is refracted. However, what is the alternative? We may be testing things using tools that are within our perception, but seeing as what is being measured tends to also be within our perception, then it is justified.

You could take this to the extreme of solipsism and say that everything we know to hear, see, smell, touch, and taste is just an illusion being played on us. Even the people around us are not real. But there's no way to prove that, and the burden of proof doesn't lie on the null claim (i.e. that something is untrue); it lies on the opposite.

As far as #4 goes, science doesn't assume this. There are no facts; only theories. Theories are adjusted or thrown out all together if a large enough body of research disproves the theory.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    The priest from The Exorcist is my neighbor, he does it for us.
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Well lucky for me my faith isn't bound by rigid structure and I can quite easily accept science, after all...there isn't much of Paganism that clearly defines anything as being exactly one way.....big bang theory...man evolved from apes...its all good. In my personal opinion science is a good thing and I don't feel religiously threatened by new scientific findings, after all science still can't completely explain some things...so live and let live I say.
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In Jesus' name demand them to leave! Out loud too!! U need to believe in Jesus, that he died for ur sins. Becoming a Christian will help:) God bless u! If it's to much for u, find an evangelical priest to help u!!!

*******Oh and if u have any questions watch KENT HOVIND, all his DVDs he'll answer all ur questions about Christianity***** it brightened my worldview :) and made sense of all the confusion out there!!!! A must watch I have to say, but it's super long!! It helps answer all the people questions about science and creation and all the contradictions :)

Sorry, but please do not take Hovind seriously. He is a fraud who exploits very devout Christians by spreading incorrect information. I'm not a Christian so I might sound biased, but you do not want to be getting any facts from that guy.
  • Rosered23
    Rosered23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I Agree with Sigria
    May I add:

1. Singing bowls
    2. Sage smudging
    3. Repeating prayers and mantras
    4. Getting a professional (priest or psychic) to CLEANSE, PROTECT and BLESS your home, in that order.
    5. Make your own Holy Water. Say the Lord's Prayer over it. Flick it into every corner of your room, door frames and windows, above and below. While doing # 3.
    6. Leave a window open for it to ESCAPE.

Good Luck!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have a crucifix in every room of my house sans the bathrooms since there's no warding off the evil that goes down in the bathrooms. lol! Seriously though, I do have a crucifix in all the other rooms of my house and bless those rooms annually or any time I feel we need the extra blessing in the house.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Sage smudging, gets rid of negative energy/spirits. Sweet grass smudging and cedar smudging also work. (combine all 3 is good). Cedar over a door helps prevent re-entry.

Pray while smudging, and tell the unwelcome spirit(s) to move on they are not welcome. That said, some spirits are your guardians and are helpful.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

(Below is my response...I don't know how I messed up the quote thingy but I did :embarassed: )

I would assume that an atheist being harassed by a spirit would quickly re-evaluate their non beliefs. I am NOT an atheist but nor am I a bible totting "God pusher" but bottom line is:

Prayers repel bad spirits....deal with it. If you don't want to pray I suggest you learn to love your stalker from the here after.....
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would assume that an atheist being harassed by a spirit would quickly re-evaluate their non beliefs. I am NOT an atheist but nor am I a bible totting "God pusher" but bottom line is:

Personally, I would probably think I had suffered a psychotic break or that it was my imagination. I think it depends on the person and their mindset. A more sceptical person is likely to try and find a natural explanation, whilst someone who is more open-minded to the supernatural might be more inclined to believe that it really was a spirit.
    Prayers repel bad spirits....deal with it.

Prayers may or may not have any effect on anything, but then again noone has ever proven or disproven that praying works.
    If you don't want to pray I suggest you learn to love your stalker from the here after.....

I don't think a spirit would necessarily prove the existence of a god anyway, so prayer might not work.
This discussion has been closed.