Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Water is water...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I don't even count flavored water as water. The only thing I count is pure water. No teas, no added flavor packets/liquids, etc.

But that's just me, I guess. I want my water to cleanse and hydrate and that's pretty much it.

I dont count coffee or tea because they are natural DIURETICS ...they serve the purpose of making you go pee....

I drink literally a 2lt of water every day just at work. Thats not counting the water I have when I get home or with my meal if we go out to dinner.
  • tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    doesn't the 0 calorie kool aid have some sort of fake sweetner in it already though?

There is no sweetener of any kind in the small packets of Kool-Aid. If there was, then why would the directions say add sugar? There are three kinds of Kool-Aid that I've seen.
    Unsweetened packets
    Sweetened with sugar jugs
    Artificially sweetened large packets
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    -
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I personally only count regular water as my water intake.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about how many years ago doctors thought only pure water should be counted as water in the "8 cups of water a day" saying. Now they are saying that even coffee, tea, flavored water, gatorade, etc. is good for you getting your daily requirement of liquids in. I don't know where the article was. Frankly, I think people go way overboard on the "drink your water" issue on here. Unless you are drinking nothing but coffee, pop and tea (or alcohol), every day I think you are ok if you have 3 cups of water and 3 cups of tea and/or koolaid. Will you probably feel better and drop some water weight if you cut out anything but pure water - proababy. But for me that is just not realistic.

So - to answer the OP's question - In my opinion, yes I would count it as water intake.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    log it as water.
    i log soda, water, coffee, tea etc. the main ingredient is water. having caffeine in it doesnt change that

Welcome to America! Soda has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. I consume less sugar in 5 meals daily than what's in a 12 oz can of soda, much less a 20 oz bottle, or a 32 oz fountain drink.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    It's the, I put an egg in my mixture to make a cake, is it still an egg question? Nope, it's a new compound!
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    Water makes me want to gag. I can't stand the taste - no matter if its from a bottle or tap. But I do drink A LOT of water.... I just make sure to add Crystal Light to it ;) Lots of different flavours and they're so good

Water doesn't make me gag like you. However I am definitely with you on adding crystal light. I have a 2 quart container that I use everyday. I <3 crystal light and the raspberry flavors...:-)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    log it as water.
    i log soda, water, coffee, tea etc. the main ingredient is water. having caffeine in it doesnt change that

Welcome to America! Soda has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. I consume less sugar in 5 meals daily than what's in a 12 oz can of soda, much less a 20 oz bottle, or a 32 oz fountain drink.

THIS. I can fathom tea as water, possibly coffee, never soda. but hey America classified pizza as a veggie, lol
  • JoshuaL86
    Options
    log it as water.

THIS. I can fathom tea as water, possibly coffee, never soda. but hey America classified pizza as a veggie, lol

Silly Americans! ;)
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me giggle--

anyways...yes, some people only log water as water because of either preference or because they believe what someone told them about only water counts as water (not sure why they don't believe the research, especially by the Mayo clinic).

If you are wanting to track it specifically for hydration purposes, as opposed to a 'clean living' goal, then count everything you drink (other than alcohol) as water. Regardless if it has caffeine, sugar, whatever. I don't have the link, but a harvard article had that even though humans 'need 8 glasses', we actually get 40% of our fluids from our food (as opposed to drinks). That is why some people don't have the urge to drink as much...depends on what their normal diet is.

Research has already been linked on this thread that is from valid sources re: the 'caffiene-diuretic' myth...believe the research, not someones opinion.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    liquid = water

imo
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    log it as water.

good for you?
  • rockerbabyy
    Options
    Hell no . its not water if youve added something to it.. Eg you add instant coffee to a cup of hot water. Is that still water??? No, it is now coffee
    how is it not still made of water?

It still has water as an ingredient, yes. Water mixed with something else = tea, coffee, soda, kool-aid, juice, jello, etc...

Water by itself is water.

We should drink 8 cups of water.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's the, I put an egg in my mixture to make a cake, is it still an egg question? Nope, it's a new compound!

the egg may have changed as you say to make a new compound in combination with other ingredients but what the egg brought to the party aka the protein, water, fat is still counted as part of the nutritional value of the cake, arguably the water bakes out but the protein and fat doesn't.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I count :
    CRYSTAL LIGHT
    FLAVORED WATER
    HOT TEA
    HERBAL TEA
    COFFEE
    WATER

as my water... :drinker:
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    :) I deleted my post before I saw this.

I appreciate you taking the time to post this article. I'll be sure to read it.

I'm sticking to my 8 glasses of pure water because of the wonders it has worked for my skin, body, regularity, etc...

I've had my fill of soda, juice and coffee in the past. Nothing has made me feel as good as pure water has.

I deleted my post, because why bother? Nothing anyone says or posts is going to change someone elses mind.
  • JoshuaL86
    Options
    Hell no . its not water if youve added something to it.. Eg you add instant coffee to a cup of hot water. Is that still water??? No, it is now coffee
    how is it not still made of water?

It still has water as an ingredient, yes. Water mixed with something else = tea, coffee, soda, kool-aid, juice, jello, etc...

Water by itself is water.

We should drink 8 cups of water.
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Soda may have water in it, but it has absolutely no nutritional value to it. It's loaded with sugar, and over time can do a lot of damage to your kidneys. You say you count soda as water, do you also add the calories to your diary?
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

Soda may have water in it, but it has absolutely no nutritional value to it. It's loaded with sugar, and over time can do a lot of damage to your kidneys. You say you count soda as water, do you also add the calories to your diary?
    yep i do. i also log my tea, coffee (along with any sweeteners or creamers) and anything else i may drink that isnt pure water.
    and not that it matters, but i dont drink soda very often. more times than not, its SodaStream which i feel is a healthier alternative for the most part.. some debate that because it has some splenda, but to each their own.
    you know what else causes kidney damage? too much protein. and ibuprofen. and poor fluid intake.
    there are lots of things in this world that have little nutritional value. i still enjoy them. no one here is debating if soda is healthy for you. only if it should be logged as fluid intake or not - and even that wasnt the original question. no one seriously said its ok to drink your 8 cups a day in soda... but it wouldnt make a difference, hydration wise.