Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Best brands I have found are:
    Applegate Farms
    Wellshire Farms
    and Garrett County

They have the best macros and no/minimal additives. Compare with all the others; you'll see.

For 2 slices, it's about 80 cal, 12 protein, 3 fat.

quoting for later
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Venison (deer) bacon! It's the best and much fewer calories than regular bacon. It's especially good cooked on the grill. The only place you may be able to buy this though is at a true meat market and possibly not even there.

Whaaaaaaa?
    I have never seen any processor offer bacon from my venison. Oh there will be some madness come November.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    smoked salmon mmmmm
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    BACON IS THE BEST ALTERNATIVE TO BACON!!!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You should try Appplegate uncured bacon. It has a lot less sodium, no nitrates, no steriods or antibiotics that could mess with your hormones and immunse system (like Turkey does) and it's organic.

OMGravy! $7.00 a pound. I think this is why I haven't gone organic yet.

Keeps you from eating too much of it when you pay that kind of cash for it. Plus, they have it on sale a lot of times and you can get coupons from Applegate Farms too.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    don't see a problem with eating some bacon and i really love the idea of venison bacon but i also love prosciutto
  • cheyenuff
    cheyenuff Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like both turkey bacon and pork bacon but I usually eat Butterball turkey bacon which is yummy! I have pork bacon occasionally.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    None are fantastic, but Jimmy Dean is pretty good.
    You might try Boars Head Mesquite Smoked Turkey sliced thin and rolled as an alternative.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I am.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The only alternative to bacon I can think of is death. Give me bacon or give me death!
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I shop at aldi and use their turkey bacon really good and cheaper than their regular bacon.
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You should try Appplegate uncured bacon. It has a lot less sodium, no nitrates, no steriods or antibiotics that could mess with your hormones and immunse system (like Turkey does) and it's organic.

OMGravy! $7.00 a pound. I think this is why I haven't gone organic yet.

Keeps you from eating too much of it when you pay that kind of cash for it. Plus, they have it on sale a lot of times and you can get coupons from Applegate Farms too.

If you can try to find a local farmer it's cheaper! I buy fresh, organically raised pork for $4 a pound. Mmmmm, bacon.
  • kenyoung51
    Options
    I have been checking out bacon lately too! What I have found is the turkey bacon tastes alright, but actually has more calories than real bacon, if I can have real bacon and fewer calories I am gonna do it! Enjoy your bacon, the real stuff! Can't cut out everything!
    I am with you my friend
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Smoked almonds. They're smokey, and salty just like bacon. Not quite as fatty, but there is still some fat.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Center cut bacon has fewer calories, and fat than regular bacon. I'd go that direction.

I've also had vegan cashew "bacon" that was knock-your-socks-off good - even compared to the real deal.
  • chellehubcap
    Options
    Venison (deer) bacon! It's the best and much fewer calories than regular bacon. It's especially good cooked on the grill. The only place you may be able to buy this though is at a true meat market and possibly not even there.

Whaaaaaaa?
    I have never seen any processor offer bacon from my venison. Oh there will be some madness come November.

I know right? Never heard of it but I am going to make sure I get some!!! :devil:
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My alternative to bacon is the pre-cooked bacon...only 30 seconds in the microwave to yummy goodness.
  • KellyAFraley
    Options
    I prefer turkey bacon. We get Butterball Lower Sodium Turkey Bacon. I hate that 'real' bacon has fatty bits on it.
    It grosses me out. And I bake my Turkey Bacon bcs I always seem to get burned from the splatter. It is super yummy!
    Mmmmm, this makes me wish I had some right now!
  • naplidon96
    Options
    personally i found a Butterball Turkey Bacon that is REALLY tasty. per 2 slices, theres 35 calories, barely any fat, and like 2g protein. love having like 2-4 of those with an egg omelete for breakfast, mmm:)!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Just have the real bacon. Make sure it's not factory farmed. Log it. Move on.

Turkey bacon is actually horrible for you. Filled with dyes and chemicals. Turkey does not have the same tender underbelly as a pig so to make 'bacon' that is not really bacon is just wrong.

Onesnap: Where do you live? You have SNOW........I want to snowshoe so badly this winter, and we have NONE. in northern Minnesota! Craziness...........................................

As for bacon? I LOVE how many threads address BACON in MFP :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

BACON IS FOOD CANDY......and the wonderfulness of it cannot be compared to anything a TURKEY can produce! PIG BACON, ALL THE WAY!