Dr. Phil - Open Marriage

Options

Replies

• jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    I understand open relationships. But open MARRIAGE is somehow contradictive. Marriage itself is all about committment and all the eternal love bla bla cr*ap. When open relationships are meant for people like me who get bored way too easily.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    492-terminator-like-this-thread-it-just-wont-die.jpg
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You guys are making this one of my favorite threads: ......paigemarie93-
    EmCarroll1990-
    NatureMade-
    Avalonis-
    nanodot
    ..... and I want to thank you right here, right now.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    oh yay! a second thread
    :drinker:
    I would typically enjoy spectator sports with a cool alcoholic bevie and possibly an artichoke dip platter. Too bad I'm on a diet. :wink:

ooh man, now im craving my jalapeno artichoke dip lol thanks ;p
    @seattlerain - its no use trying to reason with her. she was the same way in the Friend with Benefits thread. basically called us all immoral *kitten* and told us to keep our legs closed
    This is where a soft pretzel and beer would be good, nice spectator sport food.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    oh yay! a second thread
    :drinker:
    I would typically enjoy spectator sports with a cool alcoholic bevie and possibly an artichoke dip platter. Too bad I'm on a diet. :wink:

ooh man, now im craving my jalapeno artichoke dip lol thanks ;p
    @seattlerain - its no use trying to reason with her. she was the same way in the Friend with Benefits thread. basically called us all immoral *kitten* and told us to keep our legs closed
    This is where a soft pretzel and beer would be good, nice spectator sport food.

Can I come? I make really good homemade pretzel bread and an amazing german-style homemade mustard! :flowerforyou:
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Can I come? I make really good homemade pretzel bread and an amazing german-style homemade mustard! :flowerforyou:

As long as you don't bring corn. I read that stuff will kill you.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

As long as you don't bring corn. I read that stuff will kill you.

No, only evil tater can kill....

6287394983_b80a970bac.jpg
  • rejs1170
    rejs1170 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with people having a open marriage, at least they are being honest with each other, and they are not cheating on there contract with each other (unless they promised to be exclusive in their vows).
    Personally it would not work for me, but that is my decision based on my personal views of marriage. Mind you I am married to a pretty hot lady!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    this is just my opinion and you may not like it but I will put it out there!!

Maraige was designed to be between 1 man and 1 woman. If you are married and you are sleeping with someone else you are comitting adultry and thats wrong!!!! It makes me sick how little people value marriage these days! Where are kids involved in this what example are you showing your kids they may not know whats going on now but they will when they get older.

I'm not saying this is exclusively how it's done but every open relationship I've encountered where the couple is married, they do not have children. Often times this is a temporary 'phase' that the couple will go through and eventually stop once they decide to settle down and raise a family. I'm fairly certain if there was an open marriage going on with children in the home, child services would be called.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's a simple issue. To each their own... No judgement, no critism..Keep your personal opinion's out of it..
    But isn't life all about opinions? I mean you don't REALLY know who's right. Ultimately we all die and no one comes back to tell us.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I understand open relationships. But open MARRIAGE is somehow contradictive. Marriage itself is all about committment and all the eternal love bla bla cr*ap. When open relationships are meant for people like me who get bored way too easily.
    im still in love with my husband, and im still commited to him and our children. family always comes first - always will.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

you can come if i can have the recipes >.>
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain if there was an open marriage going on with children in the home, child services would be called.

Why? It's like saying you'd call child services just because you know that any marriage involves *any* bedroom activity with children in the home.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    this is just my opinion and you may not like it but I will put it out there!!

Maraige was designed to be between 1 man and 1 woman. If you are married and you are sleeping with someone else you are comitting adultry and thats wrong!!!! It makes me sick how little people value marriage these days! Where are kids involved in this what example are you showing your kids they may not know whats going on now but they will when they get older.

This is a fairly narrowly delineated definition of marriage, one based on a specific version of a Judeo-Christian world view. It's not a (traditionally) Mormon version; nor is it how marriage is defined in multiple regions of the world or in various historical periods. Nigeria has a tradition of plural wives, for instance. Chinua Achebe and Miriama Ba have written eloquently on this topic, as have many Chinese authors (from prior periods in history).

The world is a big, varied and amazing place, and human beings have adapted to their surroundings in a variety of ways, including both plural marriage (polyandry and polygamy) and monogamy.

Additionally, that biblical handmaid's tale and the "judge not" part both seem pretty clear that 1) there are acceptable alternatives and 2), to sing a little, "taint nobody's business if I do".
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I am definitely interested in those recipes! Homemade mustard-yum!
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain if there was an open marriage going on with children in the home, child services would be called.

They might be called..but the person calling would be laughed at. Child services cant do anything about how you choose to spend your alone time with someone. This is sort of what I have a problem with. People who do not conform to other's moral standards are immediately assumed to be endangering their children with some sort of salacious behaviour. Having an open marriage is not endangering the welfare of a child.
  • rockerbabyy
    Options

Why? It's like saying you'd call child services just because you know that any marriage involves *any* bedroom activity with children in the home.
    i was going to ask the same thing.
  • Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

See what happens when you mention food on a diet forum? Not even sex trumps it...LOL
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

See what happens when you mention food on a diet forum? Not even sex trumps it...LOL

Nice. I really did LOL. Probably because it's true.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Honest question: WHY THE *kitten* DOES IT MATTER?!

If these people are happy being in an open marriage, why does it matter what anybody else thinks? That is their decision, not anybody else's. Just like with gay marriage, it's not hurting anybody at all, so why does anybody really care? I see a lot of people saying that it's "wrong" or whatever other word you want to put in place of that, and while it might be wrong to you, not everybody thinks exactly the same, nor should they have to. Your religion dictates that it's wrong for you to be married to multiple people/somebody of the same gender, then don't do it. Not everybody believes the same things as you do, and you need to learn that because in the real world, nobody gives a **** about your opinion when it comes to this.