What is a burpee?

Options

Replies

• TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    If I was lazy, I would not go to the gym in the first place.
    You can be lazy at the gym. I see it all the time.
    That and the fact that doing those darned burpees made my back tired and sore.
    Which more than likely means you're doing them wrong.
    Instead of working with a trainer, I like doing group classes as the gym, because that way, I can decide how hard I feel like pushing, and if I am having an off day, or just don't have a lot of energy and want to go a bit easier, I don't have some jerk yelling at me to do it anyway.
    Translation: I don't like working out that hard.

^^^ This. The kind of BS I used to tell myself to escape working hard BEFORE I got fit

Yip me too....didn't try and ram it down others throats though ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Like most things on MFP, some people hate them, and some people love them.

NOPE. EVERYONE hates burpees but some of us realise the benefits therefore it is a love/hate relationship.

And some people are scared...(to look silly yeah?)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Burpees are one of the silliest exercises I have EVER seen! I HATE them, and I refuse to do them!

I decided not to take a class I used to like at the YMCA because they got a new teacher and she put burpees into the routine every single time.

OMG!!! She changed her user name, but is still bashing CF!!! Geez!!!

scary how quickly that was noticeable :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    So you admit you have your clients in pain? You don't have to push people to the point of pain to have a reasonably good workout. When someone is in pain, they have already pushed too far.
    Yeah, it's called lactic acid build up. You probably don't know about that though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You know what? I don't want lactic acid build up. I like keeping my lactic acid level exactly where it is supposed to be!

http://www.delano.k12.mn.us/high-school/academic-departments/science/mr-b-wiesner/cross-country/10-things-you-should-know-about-lactic-acid
    You're epically self owning yourself. Here's a paragraph from the article you posted.
    Lactic acid has a bad reputation. Many people blame it for fatigue, sore muscles, and cramps. They think of it as a waste product that should be avoided at all cost. Guess what? Scientists have discovered that lactic acid plays a critical role in generating energy during exercise. Far from being the bad boy of metabolism, lactic acid provides fuels for many tissues, helps use dietary carbohydrates, and serves as fuel for liver production of glucose and glycogen. In fact, lactic acid is nature's way of helping you survive stressful situations.
    So yes you want lactic acid build up. Stop now before you put more than your foot in your mouth. You probably won't though because it seems you have a "control" issue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    burpee.jpg

Still not looking silly to me. Not sure why I'm still posting either....

I wish my form was this good!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Several people I know from the gym think burpees look (and feel) silly too. So I know it isn't just me!

I like to either exercise standing OR on the floor -- not constantly jumping between one and the other!
    Well you have 2 names on here so far, so your Sybil personalities don't count.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TDBrims
    Options
    burpee.jpg

Still not looking silly to me. Not sure why I'm still posting either....

I wish my form was this good!

Just photoshop your head on and pretend...that's what I wanna do LOL
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey, I am fit. I just don't feel any need to be extreme about it .
    Burpees aren't that extreme. They're tough, but they don't flat out lay you out unless you're out of shape.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options

]You're epically self owning yourself. Here's a paragraph from the article you posted.
    Lactic acid has a bad reputation. Many people blame it for fatigue, sore muscles, and cramps. They think of it as a waste product that should be avoided at all cost. Guess what? Scientists have discovered that lactic acid plays a critical role in generating energy during exercise. Far from being the bad boy of metabolism, lactic acid provides fuels for many tissues, helps use dietary carbohydrates, and serves as fuel for liver production of glucose and glycogen. In fact, lactic acid is nature's way of helping you survive stressful situations.
    So yes you want lactic acid build up. Stop now before you put more than your foot in your mouth. You probably won't though because it seems you have a "control" issue.

IDEA Fitness member

Nope. I don't want to be in stressful situations that cause lactic acid to build up. I am not trying to be some kind of an extreme athlete. Just being reasonably fit is fine with me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    NOPE. EVERYONE hates burpees but some of us realise the benefits therefore it is a love/hate relationship.

This. I like to "instruct" them, I hate doing them. I hate cardio too, but still do it because that's what the heart needs to be more efficient.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TDBrims
    Options
    You know what I hate most I think.....HIT Sprints on the bike but jeepers peepers it gets my heart rate up and makes me sweat buckets so now I find myself tagging it onto the end of my session that doesn't include them if I have time and have enough energy less....what does that say about me that I do things I hate even when my trainer isn't there....should I be searching out a nice comfy cell???
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    It's what happens when you drink pop too fast
  • ninerbuff
    Options

]You're epically self owning yourself. Here's a paragraph from the article you posted.

IDEA Fitness member

Nope. I don't want to be in stressful situations that cause lactic acid to build up. I am not trying to be some kind of an extreme athlete. Just being reasonably fit is fine with me.
    Again, read the whole article. People who get lactic acid build up don't AUTOMATICALLY become extreme athletes. It just means they've exerted the muscle to failure which conditions it. Walking usually doesn't cause lactic acid build up. Walking up stairs can and does. If regular walking was all it took to be "fit" then we wouldn't have that many unfit people in the US because the majority of them do some amount of walking everyday. Don't stress the muscle and it atrophies and gets out of condition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You know what I hate most I think.....HIT Sprints on the bike but jeepers peepers it gets my heart rate up and makes me sweat buckets so now I find myself tagging it onto the end of my session that doesn't include them if I have time and have enough energy less....what does that say about me that I do things I hate even when my trainer isn't there....should I be searching out a nice comfy cell???
    HIIT is da bomb and I believe if everyone has physical ability to do it (no heart issues EX), then they should once a week to improve their conditioning.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I get enough exercise for my needs without having to work muscles to the point of failure every single time I go to the gym. I go there, I exercise, I do some cardio to get my heart rate up, do some strength training, and stop before I get too sore. I have no need to push beyond that, because I am not trying to be some kind of a super elite athlete.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I get enough exercise for my needs without having to work muscles to the point of failure every single time I go to the gym. I go there, I exercise, I do some cardio to get my heart rate up, do some strength training, and quit before I get too sore.
    Translation: I don't work out that hard. We get it. You don't have to keep telling us. You're more than welcome to be content with that workout. Just leave the burpees to the people that actually can do them correctly and have great results from doing them. You obviously don't need the results.

IDEA Fitness member
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    So...who wants chocolate?
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options

This. I like to "instruct" them, I hate doing them. I hate cardio too, but still do it because that's what the heart needs to be more efficient.

IDEA Fitness member

That's interesting. I love yoga, running, and mountain hiking. And weights.

I remember one time I went mountain hiking, and I worked out so hard that I couldn't move for two days. I also fell on the trail and walked back to the car with blood all over my legs, grinning.

But that doesn't matter, because I loved doing it, and it wasn't a burpee.
  • cladou2
    cladou2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don`t hate on burpees.... just with anything else keep at it. Trust me, they will grow on you
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So...who wants chocolate?
    Raises hand.................

IDEA Fitness member