A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    *Hands out chocolate bar* nom nom nom nom nom
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    NOPE. EVERYONE hates burpees but some of us realise the benefits therefore it is a love/hate relationship.

And some people are scared...(to look silly yeah?)
    This. I like to "instruct" them, I hate doing them. I hate cardio too, but still do it because that's what the heart needs to be more efficient.

IDEA Fitness member

That's interesting. I love yoga, running, and mountain hiking. And weights.

I remember one time I went mountain hiking, and I worked out so hard that I couldn't move for two days. I also fell on the trail and walked back to the car with blood all over my legs, grinning.

But that doesn't matter, because I loved doing it, and it wasn't a burpee.
    I love lifting and kickboxing, but cardio isn't a love. I feel great and acknowledge accomplishment, but when it comes to doing it, the time passes slow compared to lifting and kickboxing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

No! Don't do them! You will wear yourself out and not have that energy for things that are less silly and useless!

Are you messing with people???!!! Seriously? You posted 50 times the word ''silly''.
    We got your point. Don't push yourself at the gym and stay lazy.

If I was lazy, I would not go to the gym in the first place. I keep writing "silly" because people kept asking why, and that was the answer. That and the fact that doing those darned burpees made my back tired and sore.

Instead of working with a trainer, I like doing group classes as the gym, because that way, I can decide how hard I feel like pushing, and if I am having an off day, or just don't have a lot of energy and want to go a bit easier, I don't have some jerk yelling at me to do it anyway.

Wow, troll troll troll.
    People running (most) exercise classes will push you as far as they can... but no that does not constitute yelling and neither do most CPT's unless you're on TBL.
  • itsrierie
    itsrierie Posts: 28
    Options
    Well if I was paying a trainer, one of my rules would be NO BURPEES! Even if I don't progress as quickly without them, still, my rule is NO BURPEES!
    If you asked, then practically any trainer would omit them (including myself). Of course then I would "make" you do Spiderman crawls across the floor instead.............

IDEA Fitness member

What's a Spiderman crawl? That actually seems a bit fun...
    who uses ALL their daily energy in the gym? And what's the point of going to the gym if you're not gonna push yourself? I mean I agree, I'm not gonna do a burpee and if ANY trainer tells me to I'm shoving a 10lb dumbbell tightly down their throat. But at the same time, if he/she tells me to do something and is encouraging me to push myself WITHOUT YELLING OR GETTING NASTY then I'll curse them and the gods above but I'll still do it.

Same here. If I had a PT who yelled at me like they do on Biggest Loser, I wouldn't do it. But one who's really upbeat, I'd like.
    Like most things on MFP, some people hate them, and some people love them.

However, this insistence that anyone who doesn't want to do this one exact exercise is a useless slacker, is just elitist trolling that should have been left behind in the high school gym locker under the dirty socks where it belongs. .

I think they're just getting annoyed because she keeps coming back. That said, I also know how it feels to have what feels like everybody "ganging up" on you because you disagree with them... And then she probably keeps coming back because she feels defensive & hurt. At least, that's how I'd feel.
    You can say "Oh, they're just strangers on the internet, it shouldn't matter", but at the end of the day, for most people -- it does.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    What's a Spiderman crawl? That actually seems a bit fun...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMyUCXPjj_M
    I think they're just getting annoyed because she keeps coming back. That said, I also know how it feels to have what feels like everybody "ganging up" on you because you disagree with them... And then she probably keeps coming back because she feels defensive & hurt. At least, that's how I'd feel.
    You can say "Oh, they're just strangers on the internet, it shouldn't matter", but at the end of the day, for most people -- it does.
    It's fine to disagree, but when you try to dissuade people from doing something that's actually working for them (which many did say that though they despised burpees, they loved the results) that's more than just annoying. I know for some who can't control anything else in their life, annoying others is probably the one thing they do control.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I got involved with this thread because people were posting that they hated burpees. And I wanted to remind them they have the option not to do something they hate.

If they didn't make you do burpees so fast in some of those routines, they would not be so bad. But when they want you to jump up as soon as you get down on the floor, it just doesn't feel right. I would get more out of an exercise like that if instead of doing burpees for speed, they did them slower so you could spend more than a few seconds in every element of the exercise.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Burpees are like the gateway drug to other great, all over body moves. I don't care how I look when I'm doing them. I care about how I look and feel walking down the street. Burpees kick my rear every time I do them and when I'm walking down the street, I feel like a million bucks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    These are burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps

I can't do them but I wish I could... LOL

You're not missing anything by not being able to do burpees.

I can do them, but they are just a silly exercise that someone that had too much time on their hands came up with, and I don't like to waste my energy and gym time on them. You can get just as much exercise doing other exercises that aren't nearly as silly.

We got the point the fourth or fifth time, YOU think they are silly. So don't do them.

They are an excellent full body exercise with or without the push up. They are very metabolically demanding, and a great way to get in a quick and demanding exercise. I agree they are tough, but that is what makes them so good. You are basically lifting your whole body weight repeatedly with other elements that work you hard. Just because one person things they are silly, which is basically an excuse not to do them, doesn't make them a bad exercise.
  • Health_Gal
    Options

I can do them, but they are just a silly exercise that someone that had too much time on their hands came up with, and I don't like to waste my energy and gym time on them. You can get just as much exercise doing other exercises that aren't nearly as silly.

We got the point the fourth or fifth time, YOU think they are silly. So don't do them.

They are an excellent full body exercise with or without the push up. They are very metabolically demanding, and a great way to get in a quick and demanding exercise. I agree they are tough, but that is what makes them so good. You are basically lifting your whole body weight repeatedly with other elements that work you hard. Just because one person things they are silly, which is basically an excuse not to do them, doesn't make them a bad exercise.

I would much rather do jumping jacks for a while, then do pushups for a while, and do several rotations of than than do burpees. It would give you pretty much the same benefit without making your back tired and sore from having to get up and down so many times.
  • Territrek
    Territrek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had to do burpees and a bear cral around the track last night. I loathed the bear crawl!
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Burpee's with weighted vest = BRUTAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejy_qpA86fk
  • rileysowner
    Options
    wow, I'm really shocked by the attempt to degrade the burpee. It is hard but amazingly effective for toning and cardio. This girl does a lot of burpees in her routines and looks amazing doing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfNA_lmkHM

Why even comment on the thread if you are against the subject? Bah!

Because that is what she does.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Don`t hate on burpees.... just with anything else keep at it. Trust me, they will grow on you

All burpees ever did for me was made my back feel sore and tired. They were part of a boot camp class I took last summer, and I will never enroll in that kind of class again.
  • rileysowner
    Options

I would much rather do jumping jacks for a while, then do pushups for a while, and do several rotations of than than do burpees. It would give you pretty much the same benefit without making your back tired and sore from having to get up and down so many times.

I have never had a sore back from burpees. Never.

If you want to do that, fine, that is not the point. Burpees are are wonderful full body exercise that allows a person to do all that is a compressed period of time. I will often get up from working at my desk and do 10-15 burpees. It only takes a few minutes and works me much harder than what your propose since I have to lift my whole body weight every time.

I also think you are misunderstanding people, whether intentionally or not I don't know, when they say they hate them, they are saying that they are demanding and the vast majority of us would rather not do stuff that is demanding because we are lazy, that is at least part of why we are fat.

To everyone else burpees are are an excellent exercise. Make sure your form is good. If you have a trainer they can check it. If not, use your camera to take a video of you doing them, and compare it to some of the excellent videos of good form that have been posted. Then work to fix your form.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I am not planning on going back into any classes that require burpees on a regular basis. So I won't have to worry about form or having a sore back. I just wish they weren't so darned popular with fitness coaches.

There are plenty of other exercises that have similar benefits, but don't give me a sore back or make me feel out of energy so quickly. Maybe they are a "better" exercise if you are looking for something to wear you down fast, but that isn't what I, or probably most people that are trying to be in reasonably good shape, need or want.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Who's stopping you? And not the cardio vascular exertion is MUCH harder doing 20 burpees, then even 20 jumping jacks and 20 pushups combined.
    Again we get it. You DON'T like hard exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    All burpees ever did for me was made my back feel sore and tired. They were part of a boot camp class I took last summer, and I will never enroll in that kind of class again.
    I'm sure they are going to survive just fine without you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Let's see just how many times she can beat this dead horse with the same stick... First it was box jumps, CrossFit in general, & now burpees. For God's sake, get a life!!! NO ONE is asking you to, nor will they make you, EVER do any of these things. And I for one am sure, without doubt, that the people on this forum are intelligent enough and capable of making their own decisions about what they do or don't want to spend their money on, what exercises or activities they do or don't want to participate in, and how much they want to be or don't want to be pushed in their exercise of choice!!!! That's just it, we're all different, we like some of the same things and don't like others... GET OVER IT!!! If you want to be accepted, then don't alienate yourself from everyone else. Agree to disagree and let it go!!! MFP's are capable of thinking for themselves and I believe we're all supposed to be responsible adults so people can determine for themselves what works for them & what doesn't!!!

Sorry, couldn't take it anymore without venting!!!

What I hate: EXCUSES, NEGATIVITY, NAY SAYERS, CONFORMITY, and LACK OF INDEPENDENT THOUGHT WITHOUT JUDGEMENT!!!

What I love: ALL of the unique individuals on here who rock whatever activities, exercises, sports, lifestyles they so choose without being critical of others just because they don't feel the same way or have the same interests!!!

OH YEAH, I LOVE LOOKING SILLY!!!! IT'S THE LOOK I'M GOING FOR CAUSE I'M NOT HERE TO IMPRESS ANYONE; JUST BE HEALTHY, HAPPY, AND HAVE A GOOD TIME WHILE MAKING SOME COOL FRIENDS!!!!
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Stick to the shake weights.

LOL!!! I hate burpees but I do them anyway!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    She dislikes box jumps too? That would seal it for me.............................client: rejected would be the stamp I'd put on her request for a trainer like me.

IDEA Fitness member