Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    Well I'm sure you can apply that 'do what you can' philosophy to a lot of things in life...but I'm not sold on the success that can be had from it.

When your out there...messing around, having fun, letting your game slip... Someone else is out there working hard, someone else is getting stronger, smarter, faster than you. Someone else is winning. 24 hours in a day...You've got to sleep at some point, so make the rest count.

Think about it.

Think about what? That I should stop having fun in my life because someone on the planet is stronger than me? :laugh:

Well if fun to you means never being apart of the elite, than so be it. There isn't enough room at the top for all of us..and while I've never seen a complacent or lackadaisical individual rise to the top...I've seen plenty of ambitious and diligent people who have.

Those people at the "top" probably didn't have any fun along the way.

If putting calories in your face is the only way to possibly have fun, then I bet you're right.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I am sure it has been posted already - but I live by the motto "Moderation is Key" ... don't deprive yourself, just don't over do it! :)
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Well I'm sure you can apply that 'do what you can' philosophy to a lot of things in life...but I'm not sold on the success that can be had from it.

When your out there...messing around, having fun, letting your game slip... Someone else is out there working hard, someone else is getting stronger, smarter, faster than you. Someone else is winning. 24 hours in a day...You've got to sleep at some point, so make the rest count.

Think about it.

Think about what? That I should stop having fun in my life because someone on the planet is stronger than me? :laugh:

Well if fun to you means never being apart of the elite, than so be it. There isn't enough room at the top for all of us..and while I've never seen a complacent or lackadaisical individual rise to the top...I've seen plenty of ambitious and diligent people who have.

Those people at the "top" probably didn't have any fun along the way.

If putting calories in your face is the only way to possibly have fun, then I bet you're right.

Yes that is exactly what I meant.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It's not worth it to me. I'd rather use those calories for something that makes me feel good. If I go over, it's going to be from eating a bit too much of something that's actually good for me. I don't crave things like that and to me it's not a treat, so it has nothing to do with "lightening up".
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    :heart: the most sensible post ive read in ages :drinker: oh and have you tried the peanut butter chunkys their gorgeous?

• Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ah yes 'fun' the existential meaning of life...sure. Disregard sacrifice and will power..they're irrelevant right? haha.

How about this mantra...When the going gets tough..just make excuses to justify (and compensate for) your short comings.

'Now go out there and....try to just be like everyone else son!'
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I am sure it has been posted already - but I live by the motto "Moderation is Key" ... don't deprive yourself, just don't over do it! :)

agreed and I compete. The ONLY time I don't eat whatever I want is during training season. Otherwise, moderation is key pretty much fits me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Oh, hell, no, it's not the only way to have fun. But food does play an important role in our social lives, and gives pleasure. It's not just a matter of fuel for me. It's not completely utilitarian.

I also buy soft toilet paper. Sure, I could just use a corn cob like they did in the olden days, but my life is better with Charmin Ultra.
  • rippedhippie
    rippedhippie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cheat meal from time to time can be a good thing, but if strict discipline is the way you prefer then stick to your plan.

36 pounds later and 1/2 my body fat GONE, and I've tried both ways. I stuck to the discipline till I achived my end goal then allowed

a cheat meal per week from then on.

Good Luck to all of you, YOU CAN REACH YOUR GOALS!

:glasses:
  • milkll13
    milkll13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    <----drank 1/2 a bottle of wine, a bag of dark chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate frozen yogurt yesterday. Then I made my diary private because I was more than 1000 calories over my daily dose. So While I agree with you, 100%, I'm a 50% hypocrite.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I do think it's awfully silly to reward your hard work by undoing a lot of it. When I'm looking at a kit kat bar, I see it as 25 minutes on the elliptical and four days of trying to get my digestion back on track; not really worth the five minutes of pleasure I get from it!

I think that part of making lifelong changes is to learn to appreciate other rewards. If I do really well and I want to reward myself, I make myself an amazing smoothie. Or I take myself out to see a movie. Or something like that.

If that's what you want to do, fine, do it. I'm really not that concerned about what other people do, and I'm not sure why my voluntary diet restrictions concern you. People can permanently give things up. Don't judge it as "unreasonable". I haven't had milk, ice cream, pizza, or fried cheese products for years, and I eat tons of delicious food. I don't spend all day every day fretting about how good a cheese curd would be.

Well said. What works for others may or may not work for me. There is no food I can't live without nor worth sacrificing the work I'm doing or how I feel as a result. Many of the best life choices involve discipline. I won't judge what works for you and won't accept judgement of my approach either. I'd rather accommodate something by working it in while still meeting my goals than stop and start. I have cheated occasionally but have never found it to be as satisfying as how I feel from complying,

That said, if your road to success is different and you are still able to get there, I salute you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I feel like I just got screamed at because I dont eat kitkats :(

to me, celebrating a milestone with food is like celebrating a mile marker by running backwards. But i dont see anything wrong with enjoying your fun food, as long as someone isnt screaming at me to do so or else it means Im denying myself happiness in life....

It also helps when the people that say these things realise that not everyone's body is the same. Not everyone reacts badly to deprivation and not everyone eats the same or has the same goals.

If you're training for a marathon, or trying to reduce your overall body fat as best as you can.... well then everything you just screamed isnt necessarily true.

For you - of course- who knows your body better than you do? No one.
    But for me? Who knows my body better than I do? Not you.

There are other things in life you can stop to appreciate that wont give you a sugar headache.

:) like sex and PRs and a perfectly grilled cut of meat :P
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Some of us don't like chocolate, Kit-Kat, cakes, cookies, pastries, or sweets in general; so not having them, doesn't mean that we are depriving ourselves of a treat.

Counting macros and calories is not an obsession for some people, like me; it is a way of life. Please don't judge us and don't think that we are being obsessive. It is just the way we are.

Have a great Sunday!:love:

THIS.

A lot of people on this website are also not overcoming an unhealthy diet, or have an unhealthy love of sugar. Tons of us dont even have problems with food at all and dont feel deprived. So we may not crave it.
  • man_dee_gee
    man_dee_gee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned this before... a real eye opener for me was going to a Zombie Run around Halloween sponsored by a local running group and a local running store. (You wanna run faster than ever? Have a zombie chase you. It was AWESOME!)

I've only been running about a year, so it was less than a year in October, and I felt like a total nub around a bunch of athletes. Most of the races I've done were a mix of "real" runners, casual runners, newbies and walkers. This was just runners. Perfect bodies. (And I was happy I kept up with them!)

But after the race, they had a party. Most regular races have a spread of water or Gatorade, bananas or oranges, sometimes a bag of 100 calorie chips, and very rarely baked goods. THIS ONE had water, Gatorade, Pepsi, BEER, fruit, sandwiches, brownies, pizza, donuts, candy bars, cookies... and the "real runners" were all chowing down and enjoying themselves.

I vowed from the get-go when I joined MFP that I wouldn't deprive myself, but that night was the final nail in the "you can't have THAT" coffin. And a big wake-up call that "eating like an athlete" includes some really delicious options.

Actually, if you talk to "real" runners and "real" atheletes... they don't put any processed junk food into their bodies. Many have different diets, but their diets do not consist of these foods everyone is talking about on here.

Marathons and 5ks are all the rage now, everyone is a runner. That doesn't make your exercise and choices in eating the absolute best.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do think it's awfully silly to reward your hard work by undoing a lot of it. When I'm looking at a kit kat bar, I see it as 25 minutes on the elliptical and four days of trying to get my digestion back on track; not really worth the five minutes of pleasure I get from it!

I think that part of making lifelong changes is to learn to appreciate other rewards. If I do really well and I want to reward myself, I make myself an amazing smoothie. Or I take myself out to see a movie. Or something like that.

If that's what you want to do, fine, do it. I'm really not that concerned about what other people do, and I'm not sure why my voluntary diet restrictions concern you. People can permanently give things up. Don't judge it as "unreasonable". I haven't had milk, ice cream, pizza, or fried cheese products for years, and I eat tons of delicious food. I don't spend all day every day fretting about how good a cheese curd would be.

Well said. What works for others may or may not work for me. There is no food I can't live without nor worth sacrificing the work I'm doing or how I feel as a result. Many of the best life choices involve discipline. I won't judge what works for you and won't accept judgement of my approach either. I'd rather accommodate something by working it in while still meeting my goals than stop and start. I have cheated occasionally but have never found it to be as satisfying as how I feel from complying,

That said, if your road to success is different and you are still able to get there, I salute you.

100% agreed. Since giving them up, I just don't want chips/soda/pastries/etc.

I'll have a candy every now and then, but I don't enjoy them anymore either so I'll probably give those up too.

My reward is a nice fruit smoothie or a piece of chocolate. I don't feel deprived at all by doing this. Instead I feel even better since it's actually satisfying overall and not just for 5 minutes.
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    holla! :)
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Agreed-as I think of the fried chicken wings, french fries, and donuts that I had this past weekend and weighed this morning and still down 1.5 lbs. If I fell guilty (usually I don't) I just try to burn it off by working out.

GREAT POST!!!

thanks
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    agreed!
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Exactly. It's about portions and moderation...not lifelong restriction. I had a .99 checker burger today and am not feeling guilty.
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Makes me want to eat 2 Kit Kats
This discussion has been closed.