Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• spubnik
    spubnik Posts: 11
    Options
    good for you, if you look atmy journal i have treats and no guilt. Moderation not deprivation is my key. and yes I have lost weight. my profile says 14 but its overall 22. ;)
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    Actually, if you talk to "real" runners and "real" atheletes... they don't put any processed junk food into their bodies. Many have different diets, but their diets do not consist of these foods everyone is talking about on here.

[/quote]

I guess that depends on your definition of "real" then, as I have several dedicated long-time marathon runners in my family who can and do eat - OH THE HORROR - junk food occasionally. Note I said OCCASIONALLY. And again, I reiterate that no one is suggesting that a person's diet CONSIST of junk food/snack food/treats. The very definition of the word "treat" implies that it is not a six-times-a-day occurrence.

This thread has gotten more and more amusing.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. :smile:
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I salute you with my Reese's peanut butter egg!!!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I've become a bit OCD about my food choices.... Umm I'll celebrate with......
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I've become a bit OCD about my food choices.... Umm I'll celebrate with......

bacon
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am a junk food junkie, but I do believe there are people out there that stay away from sugary snacks and fatty foods and do not feel deprived. These foods aren't much better for you than smoking or eating Crisco out of the can and they understand that.

I have received nothing but pats on the back for quitting smoking 3 years ago. Nobody tells me I shouldn't deprive myself and have one once in a while. I admire people that don't have the desire to put stuff that has as much nutritional value as a pile of poop in their bodies and I hope to join them one day!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Totally.

I don't eat much junk food because I want more actual food, however Friday night got to go out for my anniversary and enjoyed it! Had an appetizer and dessert and even a glass of wine. Next day went back to normal. I don't however feel having crap everyday is good either. Sorry I can't jump on that whole bandwagon of "if you're under your calorie deficit you'll still lose weight" - doesn't work for me if it's filled with crap. If it works for you (general) - more power to ya i guess!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bottom line, depriving yourself NEVER works, trust me I've done this, but I've also adjusted my "treats" I love ice cream, so instead of a galloon of jerry's in the house, I grab a McDonalds cone. Satisfys and keeps me from going overborad. Deprivation is the issue and I dont think this post is about just chocolate to the defensive people. it's about bieng able to enjoy this lifestyle change, because if you don't enjoy it or find pleasure in it, you WILL fail. 1 day, you will hit a plateau, or will give into that one good off plan treat and beat yourself to death, which normally causes feelings of despair, shame, and ironically a binge of said junk and can often create a cycle. I don't want to avoid parties and celebrations for the rest of my life out of fear. it's ok to have cake, adjust accordinglingy etc:

When I read this post it inspired me not because I wanted a kit kat, or think this person is trying to make everyone gobble chocolate, but because it reminded me that i'm not on a diet. I'm on a journey to be able to enjoy all aspects of life and embrace it, not set myself apart by standing on the wall. Good post!!
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    you mad bro?
  • Luvmyboxerboy
    Luvmyboxerboy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Agree whole heartedly! In fact, I'm going to the movies tonight and getting a small popcorn WITH butter! Is there any other way to have it????? Htting the gym tomorrow so no guilt. :)
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's why I just had some chinese for lunch. I didnt go over board like I used to. The local chinese restaurant by my job has a buffet at lunch and you can get it to go, they charge by the pound. I just got a lil beef n broccoli, fried rice and crab rangoon. It only came to $4 so I must have done good! Plus i dont feel full like I normally do after I eat chinese food. I'll jsut work extra hard at Zumba tonight :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Perfectly put OP. I'm diabetic, and even I need a kit kat once in a while... :drinker:
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i just ate a chunky pb sanwich with banana on it. it was mighty tasty...

oh oops wrong thread :P
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    bottom line, depriving yourself NEVER works,

I would love to understand how choosing not to eat a kitkat or other similar type snack is "depriving" yourself.

Guess what? Feeling deprived is an attitude that you have adopted.

I do have "treats" and I do enjoy myself. I cant recall the last time I felt deprived by my choices. Some would say my choice of a bacon burger with cheese is no better than a handful of kitkats. but that is a different argument.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    lol You're funny! I guess this must be why I just bought four boxes of girl scout cookies. So I can have one cookie every day (or maybe even 2 Gasp!) and call it a treat and be okay with it. And practice my self control when I don't eat the entire box. That and laugh hysterically when my husband asks *permission* to eat one or two. lmao!!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    bottom line, depriving yourself NEVER works,

I would love to understand how choosing not to eat a kitkat or other similar type snack is "depriving" yourself.

Guess what? Feeling deprived is an attitude that you have adopted.

I do have "treats" and I do enjoy myself. I cant recall the last time I felt deprived by my choices. Some would say my choice of a bacon burger with cheese is no better than a handful of kitkats. but that is a different argument.

Kit kat or bacon cheeseburger-it doesn't really matter. The point is to let yourself indulge occasionally-not deprive yourself. If you aren't feeling deprived, then you must be doing it right.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    bottom line, depriving yourself NEVER works, trust me I've done this, but I've also adjusted my "treats" I love ice cream, so instead of a galloon of jerry's in the house, I grab a McDonalds cone. Satisfys and keeps me from going overborad. Deprivation is the issue and I dont think this post is about just chocolate to the defensive people. it's about bieng able to enjoy this lifestyle change, because if you don't enjoy it or find pleasure in it, you WILL fail. 1 day, you will hit a plateau, or will give into that one good off plan treat and beat yourself to death, which normally causes feelings of despair, shame, and ironically a binge of said junk and can often create a cycle. I don't want to avoid parties and celebrations for the rest of my life out of fear. it's ok to have cake, adjust accordinglingy etc:

When I read this post it inspired me not because I wanted a kit kat, or think this person is trying to make everyone gobble chocolate, but because it reminded me that i'm not on a diet. I'm on a journey to be able to enjoy all aspects of life and embrace it, not set myself apart by standing on the wall. Good post!!

Spot on.

I like to say "If you can't live like this you won't stay like this."

You see people on here all revved up, "Ok I'm ready to get serious! I've cut out all soda, dairy, red meat, carbs, processed foods and sugar! Here we go!!" They deactivate three weeks later. If your weight loss plan isn't sustainable you're just doing another temporary diet.

Moderation. SERIOUSLY moderation!!
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are right about dont deprive yourself BUT some people arent able to handle that small snack without going crazy and gorging out on it. For me i like to still have my sweets and i learned to contain myself and not over eat on the sweets! But yes some people really dont count calories to the T when calories are really estimated numbers anyhow....
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    Have you noticed that the majority of the people agreeing with you have lost 25 lbs or less? There's a reason why counting calories is THAT important to those of us who are serious about changing our lives. Not caring what we put in our bodies is what got us where we are and I for one am not going to let sugar rule me anymore! Rewarding ourselves with something sweet is just stupid. It's like giving a person a cigarette to celebrate them quitting smoking. If you're not serious about tracking, why are you taking part in a tracking program.

Smaller weight loss =/= lazy.

I see people on here who need to lose 50-100 pounds (or more), and that is fantastic--they get huge props from me for that, because losing weight is tough! But the truth is, some of us just don't HAVE that much to lose. If I lost 50 pounds (from my heaviest weight), I'd be at an extremely unhealthy weight and would look skeletal. :/
This discussion has been closed.