Lighten the **** up!

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed that the majority of the people agreeing with you have lost 25 lbs or less? There's a reason why counting calories is THAT important to those of us who are serious about changing our lives. Not caring what we put in our bodies is what got us where we are and I for one am not going to let sugar rule me anymore! Rewarding ourselves with something sweet is just stupid. It's like giving a person a cigarette to celebrate them quitting smoking. If you're not serious about tracking, why are you taking part in a tracking program.

Smaller weight loss =/= lazy.

I see people on here who need to lose 50-100 pounds (or more), and that is fantastic--they get huge props from me for that, because losing weight is tough! But the truth is, some of us just don't HAVE that much to lose. If I lost 50 pounds (from my heaviest weight), I'd be at an extremely unhealthy weight and would look skeletal. :/

Agreed. I can't even lose 25 pounds without looking like Skeletor. I've been there and took forever to gain back to a healthy weight and I refuse to go back.
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow. I think this is going to be very helpful to my eating habits. I too am some one who struggles with feeling "deprived", but after reading these posts I'm seeing what a "bass akwards" mind set that is! Giving in to these victimized feelings of deprivation is what got many of us over weight to begin with. How can you be deprived when they're things your body was never meant to ingest in the first place. Man made all that crap! And added fat and sugar and what ever other processed goo to make us crave it more! How can you tell someone they're wrong to not give into that. I see people glorifying the act of giving into it as if they are better than people who don't. It makes no sense to me.
    If you have sugary or fatty snacks in moderation more power to you. But to act like people who never indulge have a problem is crazy. We were never meant to have it in the first place and nothing good has come from it. I work in a hospital and I am AMAZED at the things I see that come from lifestyle. And that should never be glorified!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you, but I can understand where some are coming from. If a little treat turns into a trigger for you to binge, then maybe you need to stay away from treats. I practice moderation and it works for me. But I have friends that it doesn't work for. It all depends on where your mind is at.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    bottom line, depriving yourself NEVER works, trust me I've done this, but I've also adjusted my "treats" I love ice cream, so instead of a galloon of jerry's in the house, I grab a McDonalds cone. Satisfys and keeps me from going overborad. Deprivation is the issue and I dont think this post is about just chocolate to the defensive people. it's about bieng able to enjoy this lifestyle change, because if you don't enjoy it or find pleasure in it, you WILL fail. 1 day, you will hit a plateau, or will give into that one good off plan treat and beat yourself to death, which normally causes feelings of despair, shame, and ironically a binge of said junk and can often create a cycle. I don't want to avoid parties and celebrations for the rest of my life out of fear. it's ok to have cake, adjust accordinglingy etc:

When I read this post it inspired me not because I wanted a kit kat, or think this person is trying to make everyone gobble chocolate, but because it reminded me that i'm not on a diet. I'm on a journey to be able to enjoy all aspects of life and embrace it, not set myself apart by standing on the wall. Good post!!

Im sorry, but what you meant was... depriving never works FOR YOU.

Thanks for your input, but everyone is different. I dont feel she is telling me to stuff myself with chocolate, I feel as though she is making a blanket statement that people love junk food and shouldnt rule it out of their lives forever because they will mess up and binge or feel guilty and not get enjoyment out of their lives as they should.

TO me that is not acceptable, because I never needed those things to begin with. Even if my body was craving junk, sometimes not giving in to temptation is an even bigger victory. And sometimes, it can undo an entire day of work, just to taste a cupcake for 30 seconds...

I dont feel deprived, I feel healthy when I say no. And saying no is pretty easy, for many people, the more you workout and train your body. It starts craving completely different things.
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    YES - to the ones talking about treats turning into triggers. I am exactly that way! I'm better off to just stay away. People at work will offer me cookies or candy and I'll say no. Then they'll say "Oh C'mon! Ones not going to hurt you!" and I'll say "I know ONE won't. It's the 20 I'm going to eat after that that'll do me in!" If I stay out I'm fine. If I start I'll never stop.
  • stacymay13
    stacymay13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Some of the posts on here are absolutely ridiculous! If you don't agree, stop posting b*tchy little comments about how the rest of us are going to be fat forever or we don't have any self-control. Go start your own thread or something!!
  • yoovie
    Options
    TO me there is nothing in the world more indulgent than a big plate of fresh strawberries and a glass of 2% milk. OMG NEED IT NOW NOW
  • yoovie
    Options
    Some of the posts on here are absolutely ridiculous! If you don't agree, stop posting b*tchy little comments about how the rest of us are going to be fat forever or we don't have any self-control. Go start your own thread or something!!

I didnt see anyone say that anywhere...?
  • stacymay13
    stacymay13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

There are 12 pages!! Its been said. I read all of them.
  • Pokermom10
    Pokermom10 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Now bring on the wine. :laugh: :drinker:

Yay!
  • cawleen
    cawleen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Self control is necessary. It's always someone's birthday, it's always a seasonal holiday. It is necessary to sacrifice in order to achieve a goal and to learn new habits. Celebratory dinners and food rewards are not the only positives in life. Try a mani/pedi date. Try a zip lining date. It will be more of a memory than a piece of food.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    Of course food isn't the only positive in life--that's not the point of this thread. The point was that treating yourself with food every once in a while, if food rewards are your thing, isn't going to kill you.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!!!:smile:
  • bethanymelton
    bethanymelton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I was just thinking and posted that I was surely going over in calories today but didn't care because I have been more active today and thereby more hungry ;-)

:flowerforyou: AWESOME POST :drinker:
  • KrisP4
    KrisP4 Posts: 4
    Options
    Very well said!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Im sorry, but what you meant was... depriving never works FOR YOU.

Yep. What the smart lady said.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    oooooohhhh forget it.
  • yoovie
    Options

There are 12 pages!! Its been said. I read all of them.

Sorry i didnt see anyone say you would be fat forever if you ate a cupcake. I did see someone telling people that if they dont eat cupcakes, they will fail, however :) good luck!
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Find your 'happy' ...

Choose a comfort food of old, where you found your 'happy'. And now that it no longer controls you, but you control it, find the happy (for a reminder, for old times sake!!!) ... Eat it, then remember that happy feeling it gave you and know that you can recall that happy with something else (such as touching a thumb and finger together).

If you feel you want more then try abstaining longer (beware withdrawals!).

My example, was Cola (a particular taste one).... when I abstained some time from it the weight fell off me. I formed alternate, healthy habits (such as water with natural juice). Result .... 1 year later now I have been maintaining my goal weight since November last year after a 80+ lb fat release (never to come back).

Cheers people, if I can do it anyone can !
This discussion has been closed.