kitkat chunky for the win :D
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You summed things up perfectly!!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I had a kit kat chunky twice a week. I love it. I had it last friday. Tried the dark chocolate one, it was horrible. I ll stick to milk chocolate.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying Yoovie. It's an oxymoron. I can't reward the fact that I quit smoking by smoking a cigarette. I can't reward myself for saving my money by blowing it. Junk food should never be an award for eating well. It doesn't make any sense. Reward yourself in other ways.

When I hit my 2nd goal weight of 199 I rewarded myself with food. 2 delicious chicken pad thai dinners. It was glorious.

That was 11 pounds ago. Still losing. Still working.

You keep telling other people what they should be doing. You should stop.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I definitely treat myself but you have to remember that you would never tell an alcoholic that just one drink won't hurt them. To some people sugar and food is an addiction and having one candy bar or pigging out one day can send them back into unhealthy habits.

I am def. one of those people. I can NEVER just have one of anything. It is a daily battle for me not to over eat or gorge on chocolate and grease. This new "life change" is a realy eye opener for me. One day at a time. :flowerforyou:
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This post has made me indulge in 2 Tim Hortons Milk Chocolate truffles and I loved every little bit of them. :tongue:

My reward for reading all 13 pages! :bigsmile:
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    me loves you and now I want a kit kat!

I shall get one when i pick up children from school.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's sad that we associate good times and feeling good with a Kit Kat Chunky or Chinese takeout -- to the point that many feel they can't be happy without it. That's some serious skewed thinking.
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying Yoovie. It's an oxymoron. I can't reward the fact that I quit smoking by smoking a cigarette. I can't reward myself for saving my money by blowing it. Junk food should never be an award for eating well. It doesn't make any sense. Reward yourself in other ways.

When I hit my 2nd goal weight of 199 I rewarded myself with food. 2 delicious chicken pad thai dinners. It was glorious.

No young man. I was letting someone know I understand what they are saying. And I am taking this as something "I" need to be doing! I too wrestle with the same demons as everyone else on here. I think what she is saying makes more sense than anything I've seen so far.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think it all goes back to what works for you. I can care less if someone is eating sweets and still losing weight. Good for them. For me, I know that I am on a lifestyle change and not a diet. So I am not going to reward myself with food. I reward myself with buying clothes or new running shoes etc.

I am also realistic and know that there will be birthday parties...events..etc. I just know that I have to be reasonable with the portion size and make sure I have a reasonable caloric intake that day.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

No young man. I was letting someone know I understand what they are saying. And I am taking this as something "I" need to be doing! I too wrestle with the same demons as everyone else on here. I think what she is saying makes more sense than anything I've seen so far.

See what you didn't do was say this is something "you" need to be doing. What you said was "Junk food should never be an award for eating well. It doesn't make any sense. Reward yourself in other ways."

That's not an "I" statement. It's telling the whole world how they should live according to your standards. And there's no reason for them to listen because many of us understand moderation and can eat the occaisonal "bad" food without all our progress vanishing.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think ralph marston says it better then I could....so here goes......

Total acceptance

It is through total acceptance of what is, that you gain total control of what can be. By allowing life to come to you, you empower your purpose to radiate out from you.

You cannot successfully fight against what is. For the moment you choose to fight, you’re fighting against a past that cannot be changed.

Accept the energy that comes to you in this now moment, whatever flavor that energy may be. Apply that energy to create a beautiful future filled with joy and positive purpose.

Embrace each circumstance as it comes into your awareness. By doing so you will gain access to its positive possibilities.

Live from a place of deep-seated peace. Instead of jumping into a reaction at every turn of events, exude a consistent, confident purpose.

Lovingly accept every bit of life as it comes your way. And you will always find much to truly love.

— Ralph Marston

Read more: http://greatday.com/motivate/100809.html#ixzz1oH0KOw00
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I think ralph marston says it better then I could....so here goes......

Total acceptance

if everyone followed this advice, would anybody be on this weight loss/fitness site?

I chose not to accept that I couldnt just eat and loaf around AND also have a decent looking and healthy body.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I'll decide whether I'm taking my calorie counting too seriously or not.

But thanks for your concern. :huh:

Maybe everyone should just do what works for them and stop worrying about what other people are doing (or not doing).
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    thanks a bunch this topic sent me straight to the candy dish ...... I had some whoppers and m&m plains
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Agree with the OP's sentiment. For the nay-sayers, are you saying you will NEVER eat something bad for you again EVER? Doesn't that seem to be a little unreal? I MOSTLY eat healthy. Sometimes I'm gonna have some chips. I don't have chips every day like I'd love to, but every now & then, a little bowl of Ruffles is gonna hit the spot. It's not a reward. It's life. Everything in moderation.
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    Omg Im almost to the finish line! Im going to reward myself by turning around and walking back toward the starting line! Woo!!!

How about eating it because you want it- not because you toot it as part of some skewed reward/punishment system. If food is fuel, then why is it a reward in here?

This. I don't celebrate building a house by knocking down one of the walls.

If you think sugary treats are a 'reward' and you can't think of anything else to 'reward' yourself with, you have a bad relationship with food.

I enjoy my indulgences, too. I drink wine sometimes. I ate some cookies last weekend. But I didn't do it because I "earned" it and I'm not going to use my hard work as justification to do something bad. I just think it's a messed up attitude. I'm not saying everyone should eat nothing but vegetables and lean protein, all the time... Just saying, by looking at bad foods as 'rewards' and elevating them like that, and by continuing to grudge on about how much you dislike the day-to-day foods, you will set yourself up for failure down the road and you may fail to incorporate all that into your permanent healthy lifestyle.

You're not Pavlov's dog.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I'll decide whether I'm taking my calorie counting too seriously or not.

But thanks for your concern. :huh:

Maybe everyone should just do what works for them and stop worrying about what other people are doing (or not doing).

^^^^^ Where is a LIKE button when you need it! You summed up what I was going to say.

I do what works for me, and sometimes it sucks and I wish I could live a little, even reward myself a little, but food shouldn't be a reward I have learned. Well, BAD FOOD that is. For example if I lost 2lbs this week should I go reward myself with a pizza? No ...

I was living it up and eating (very) carefree and indulging and celebrating any little moment in life and THAT is why I was fat.

Sorry, not yelling at you or anything, just stating my opinion. :laugh: :wink:
  • KarenLue
    KarenLue Posts: 94 Member
    Options

See what you didn't do was say this is something "you" need to be doing. What you said was "Junk food should never be an award for eating well. It doesn't make any sense. Reward yourself in other ways."

That's not an "I" statement. It's telling the whole world how they should live according to your standards. And there's no reason for them to listen because many of us understand moderation and can eat the occaisonal "bad" food without all our progress vanishing.

That's funny. I am trying to impress upon the world my standards by telling them I don't think you should reward eating well with junk food? Good Lord I hope I run deeper than that! I didn't say I thought an occasional "bad" food was wrong. I said it shouldn't be used as an award. It doesn't make sense to me. So what! And for me it's about more than the number on the scale. It's about cholesterol, your arteries, processed goo they put in food. Who knows what all is in that. And I DO indulge in bad food. That doesn't make it right. I wouldn't call that my "standard". I would call that the truth. If we went into my standards you would probably think I was all judgmental! And my beliefs have very little to do with food. I only got to talking about this because I was on Myfitnesspal.
This discussion has been closed.