what is the ideal age to get engaged/married?

Options

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Got married at 23. I don't think it matters what age you are. I do think it matters how well you know the person and how long you've had to work out issues. My wife and I had some issues while dating that followed us into marriage. We stuck through it and worked it out and are now happily married. Going on 4 years.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'd say VERY late 20s/early 30's at the earliest. No sooner. Most people just have too much growing up to do before that, IMO.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Follow your heart. You'll know when you are ready.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    for me it would be after i am done with grad school. i want a decent job and be able to get that wild/selfish side of me out first. so that would be around 26 for me.

but sometimes plans don't always work out so i shall see when i'm that age how i feel. i say take as long as you want but if you want kids i guess it's a little different since individually we all have our own "biological clock".

i wouldn't rush. :flowerforyou: but i'm sure it does take TONS commitment and sacrifice.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    NEVER!

Lol, sorry.. I'm young and I've been divorced twice... :ohwell: :bigsmile:

LOL never say NEVER~!
  • firedudecndn
    Options
    About 3 weeks after you die
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    there is no ideal age. You have to find the right person which takes a lot of luck. I have been married, happily, for 7 years. I got married at 28 to my 19 yr old boyfriend for insurance purposes only. (we already had a baby) We still consider ourselves unmarried and don't wear rings. We prefer to think that we are still living in the glorious life of sin. I hyphenate my last name and etc. Will it last..? It is likely, as we have been planning our divorce every since we met. Then we plan to date finally. LOL
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I don't think most people really get comfortable in their own skin until their mid 30's ... it's really important to know who you are before committing to a lifetime with somebody else. You can get engaged and or spend time with somebody for many years without getting married. It just seems people take the " vow " so lightly these days causing the divorce rate to sky rocket !

Never go into a relationship thinking you can " change " somebody ... and nor should you want to ! Accepting someone for all their quirks and still loving everything about them is soooo important ! We often overlook the small details ... never realizing one day they become the BIG picture !

I don't think you can or anybody else can put a " number " on it ... but what I can offer you is just one small piece of advice ...

Never ... ever ... SETTLE ! :smile:

Great advice
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Marriage is fine institution that takes a lot of commitment. So get married when you are ready to be committed to an institution.

LOVE IT!!!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Married at 22, and still married (and happy!!!) 46 years later.....:happy:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    how long is a string?
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    depends on the person. clearly some people are ready for the commitment and responsibility at 20, and some are never fully ready for it.

my parents got married at 21 and 23, and are still married 26 years later. my parents-in-law were married at 38 and 36, and got divorced 14 years later. there's no right or wrong answer.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    28. 28 and a 1/4 on September 7, 2011, to be exact :)
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I met my soul mate, love of my life, :love: at the tender age of 18. But we took our time and just had fun. Finally got married at 28.

It doesn't matter HOW old you are, just don't RUSH. There's plenty of time - trust.
    My mom got divorced at 45 and now has a boyfriend at 66.
  • carlie_carl
    carlie_carl Posts: 285
    Options
    theres still hope for me yet! lol . . . . . I just know I wont marry in my 20s, maybe 30s hopefully 40s if not by then atleast I will have my house of pets to keep me company lol
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Definately after 30!!

20's is all about growing and finding yourself.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    There is no ideal age. It all depends on the people involved.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    NEVER!

Lol, sorry.. I'm young and I've been divorced twice... :ohwell: :bigsmile:

LOL never say NEVER~!

Okay... never AGAIN! :tongue:

Oh.. and I'm never having kids.
  • rachaelrstewart
    rachaelrstewart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with never.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hello, I got married young but I wouldnt trade it for anything.. it honestly depends on the person & when they find the one.. I got engaged at 18 and got married at 20.

but you are still 20. so yeah. um. i'd hope you'd still be happy.

:laugh: :laugh:

I have been with my husband for 6 years..I will be 21 in a month.. I am very happy.. you say you have been divorced how many times? I would say you need to look into youself before you start pointing fingers and making judgments ;)