what is the ideal age to get engaged/married?

Options

Replies

• Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Whenever you're both absolutely sure, I used to want to be married by 25... I'm 26 and I feel no need to rush.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong age. There is a right person, though. You also don't need marriage to be committed.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 20 and married him right after I turned 25. I was sure I was going to marry him after the first few months but we didn't want to rush into anything so permanent.
    The thing to remember is that marriage will not solve any problems. It will magnify them. It takes work. It's also the best thing I ever did.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My long-time boyfriend is 2 years younger than me, and I wouldn't want to be engaged until his last year of college, or until he's out of college...so not until about 24-25 for me.

And kids..not until about 30 lol..I plan on going to grad school soon after I get my Bachelor's.
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    You have the best chance of staying together if you are both at least 25 :)
  • gertrudegreen
    Options
    There is no ideal age, but there is an ideal time - and that would be after you have become an individual and have confidence in who you are and what you want out of life. And then, if what you really want out of life is a traditional married life and you are committed to the sacrifices that need to be made to maintain a healthy relationship - that's when you should get married. Until then, discover who you are and don't be afraid to be single, independent and fabulous.:love:
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Really its the person. But I think late 20s with this society.
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think if it's a case that you have to ask your friends/relatives/strangers if it's "right"...you're too young. You will know when it is the right one (and they don't come along at any certain "magic" age) and when the time is right.

I was 21, and my hubby 29 when we got married. It would have been just as right if we had met 10 years later. Two adult children and almost 26 years of marriage later...he's still the right guy!

In your opinion, what is an acceptable age to get engaged/married. Not saying I'm thinking about it any time soon!! Just curious to what people's thoughts are! :)
  • ashdavis21
    Options
    well I'm 23 and engaged o my 22 year old fiance :) we are getting married and will be 25 and 24 a year and a half :) tooo far away lol but really it depends on if you are in love :)
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Once again, "marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries." That is all.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Not big on marriage, don't think it is necessary for kids or other life choices. Marriage does not equal love and with the way folks get divorced I think many folks have the wrong idea of what marriage is anyway.

I've always had the same opinion. Never been interested in getting married through all of my relationships. It sort of changed when I met my current boyfriend, who I have been with for 3 years now. It was more a mutual decision that eventually we want to get married although we are in no rush at all. I hate that people feel it is necessary. The thing that changed my mind was that I found someone who is wonderful to me and we work together. We have already been through our lowest points, got the fighting and bs out of the way and are happy now. It isn't necessary for us to get married, but we would like to just because we both don't see being with anyone else in life. He is 31 and I'm 25 though and I already went through all my partying/promiscuous ways so I finally know what I want.

Honestly there is no good answer for this, but for me it was always never until I met the person I am with now. And it's not a necessary thing, just maybe one day when things are right it will happen. Either way I am happy and so is he. We might as well be married the way we are now anyway. lol
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    if the stick has two little pluss signnss

bahaha.
    just joking :]
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Ideally when you have a chance to experience life together with the milestones that may come.

That could be birth related or financial gains or housing or any other significant event.

Personally, Part of all those things made us who we were together, then I divorced her.

Whoops, sorry
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Mid 30. By then you should have a good idea of who you are and what you want in life.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!!!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I have been with my husband for 6 years..I will be 21 in a month.. I am very happy.. you say you have been divorced how many times? I would say you need to look into youself before you start pointing fingers and making judgments ;)

You got married when you were 15? Weird.

Wait a couple years until your loins start to ache.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna agree with PP's that say it's not the age but the person. Sometimes those are correlated, but if you go into marriage thinking it's going to fix a relationship or it will bring you two closer together, you're probably going to end up in divorce. I'm 21 and I'm getting married in 79 days. My fiance and I know this is forever. We don't have any baggage or any issues going into marriage, we just want to start a life together and we both know that our relationship is forever. I think part of what helps us is that we had a conversation about how divorce is not an option for us. I think a lot of people go into marriages thinking "well, if doesn't work out we can just get divorced" and that's not the way marriage should be viewed. I'm not talking about anyone specific here so hopefully no one gets offended because it's not my intention.
  • lucor001
    lucor001 Posts: 17
    Options
    Married at 23, first kid at 25, 2nd at 27, still happily together at 31. I'll admit, I'm not expert and by the time 40 rolls around things could change - but these ages felt right to me. Looking back, they still look like the right choices.

There's tons of good and bad advice out there on being married at any age, so I don't think there's a good answer to your question. So many factors...

The only thing I'd stress - don't have kids thinking it'll bring you closer together. Although I've heard of that happening to people, all I've found is kids add a TON of stress to mix and being a good "team" is absolutely required. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids, and IMHO they are "good" kids - but they are easily the most difficult thing I've ever been involved with (but the rewards are great!).
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You'll know when ur ready. I was engaged at 21 and married right before my 23rd. I is happy as a clam (hint hint at pic)
  • askme12
    askme12 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    NEVER........but if you REALLY want to id say mid 20s

I agree with the NEVER part.

I agree ^^^:bigsmile: