what is the ideal age to get engaged/married?

Options

Replies

• MRBARWICKRHODES
    Options
    I believe the stats (in the uk) show you are least likely to get divorced if you marry in your ealy 30's
  • AlbionLass
    AlbionLass Posts: 136
    Options
    Personally, marriage? Never.

Waited until my mid 20's to settle down with one guy and start a family though, have never wanted to be married.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    ew, never.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I've been dating my boyfriend for 6 years before he asked me to marry him last October when I was 22, I will be with him for 7 years this coming October and we are marrying when I am 24 in August 2013. <3333
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I started going out with my boyfriend when I was 14, got engaged at 16 and now I'm eighteen. I personally feel that, although I'm young, it was the right thing for me to do. It really depends on the person.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Mid 20s

I got married at 24 ... i'll be 28 this summer we're still together & very happy. I love being married.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just know that if I were to get married out of high school through my late 20s it would have been a train wreck. I was a different person then than I am now. I got married after I turned 30. I changed a lot since then mostly I think for the better. You will be a different person each time you come across your 20s, 30s, 40s, etc.

My wife at the time was 34. We have been married for 6 years after dating for about 2 years. I think it was the perfect time for me to get married, my wife would have preferred to get married earlier than she did. But either way we are happy now. There is no perfect time but you should both be right for it at the same time. It is different for everyone. But I think generally people should wait until there mid 20s at least.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    When you are 100 percent sure, it is the right choice, I guess. I got married with 24 and been happily married for 19 years now. Another question: When is the legal age here in the US, to get married anyway?
  • wigglelee
    wigglelee Posts: 491
    Options
    lol getting a divorce right now, so i say RUN!!!!!!!! RUN LIKE THE WIND<<<LOL

joke aside, i think only you and your love one would actually really feel when , and if yuore ready or not,, but just in case,,, get yourself a freaking pair of sneakers,,,,ya know,,, lol to run,,hahahah sorry, im a little turned off about the whole idea of marriage right now.lol
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    When you've met the right person and you have TALKED about every aspect of marriage and are sure you want to do it. I was late, 27, when I married. Coincidentally, I've been married 27 years.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    78?

though I got married at 22....but 78 sounds good!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    When you are ready and mature enough to handle a life long commitment.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When you feel you're ready. There's no "ideal" age as it depends on the person. That being said I was 18 when I got married, and I'm still married 7 years later...
  • Bohohippy
    Bohohippy Posts: 56
    Options
    25-30.. most people are mature enough and settled or know what they want by then perhaps.

I think divorce only happens when one or both people stop fighting and working for the relationship, or one shows colours they hid before the marriage (aggression or something).
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on chilren, finances, "the one" etc. I'm turning 30 this year. I know I found "the one" but we haven't clearly decided if we even want children, as well as we rather have a house first and than do all the other stuff. With that said no idea when I'll get married. But I do feel that it needs to be after 25.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When you are ready to settle down. I got married at 25 and thought that was a good age, my husband was 34 and he thought that was a good age, maybe a little later than he planed but he has admitted to me that he wouldn't have been ready before that. We were only dating a few months when we got engaged but we knew each other and were practically best friends for about 2 years before that.

I knew I was ready because I had my degree, had a good job, was able to support myself and had a sense of self. My husband and I from the time we started dating we have traveled a lot. So unless you are planning on getting married just so you can have kids I wouldn't worry about "traveling first" because I traveled more with my husband than when I was single. Iceland, Hungary, Denmark, all over Germany, France, England and Wales and of course in the US.

Marry when you feel you are ready. Get advice from those closest to you, older siblings, parents, aunts & uncles, they often know what they are talking about....and other times they are completely full of it. But if you have lived around them long enough you can tell the difference.
  • SheenaDuguid
    SheenaDuguid Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    my husband and I got married at 24, we've now been married for 13 years and have 2 daughters one aged 8 and one aged 5. I would truly be lost without him. I truly believe there is no right age to get married - you have to do what feels right for you. Don't pressurise yourselves
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm always kinda miffed by questions like this. I don't really see how someone's age at time of marriage is anyone elses business, ya know?
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I say at least mid to late 20's at the very least. Ideally probably 30+. Hopefully before that you have gotten out all of your fun experiences and are ready to settle down.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Of course it varies across the board and there are exceptions to the rule but I would have to say after 30 for a guy and AT LEAST after 25 for a girl (late 20's is probably better). Soley on the basis of maturity, life experience, life skills, compassion, and loyalty. Men really seem to mature in their 30s and women really come into their own and find themselves in their 20s. :)