I'm not knocking anyones "diet" but....

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    This whole thread made me LOL.

It starts out with "I'm not knocking anyones "diet" but...."

And ends up with a bunch of people knocking everyone else's diet.

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to knock Paleo/Primal, you go right ahead. There are those of us who know better, and we'll be living it up (happy, healthy, active, low-stress, all while eating super-delicious foods) while the nay-sayers keep riding that sugar addiction. Have fun with that!! :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your relative success but this site has nothing to do with and in no way supports or promotes using ANY supplements to aid in dieting. The vast majority of us are getting results with simple exercise and eating right.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to knock Paleo/Primal, you go right ahead. There are those of us who know better, and we'll be living it up (happy, healthy, active, low-stress, all while eating super-delicious foods) while the nay-sayers keep riding that sugar addiction. Have fun with that!! :)

Since you "know better" care to enlighten us?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/522226-let-s-talk-about-the-paleo-diet
  • NikkieLite
    NikkieLite Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't think Paleo is a fad diet, I just know I couldn't sustain it because I love pasta and cheese and chocolate. I have no interest in eliminating those things from my diet when I know for a fact that you can be a healthy, happy person while eating them in moderation. I think everyone needs to find their own method that they can stick with in the long run.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options

wow and people who dont follow a "DIET" made up by some idiot... are unhappy .. unactive... and high stress?
    PLEASE. how ridiculous. i eat carbs.. I LOVE carbs. they help me do my HIGH intensity workouts and heavy lifts... which i couldnt do without carbs. and i refuse to be "lightly active".

THANKS!
  • minadeathclutch
    Options

and now were all sugar addicts because were not scared to eat a cracker? HAHAHHAA. please. nazis.
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your relative success but this site has nothing to do with and in no way supports or promotes using ANY supplements to aid in dieting. The vast majority of us are getting results with simple exercise and eating right.
    But that is what I've been saying all along!!! Im eating healthy and exercising, my CO-WORKER is on the HCG diet, I am NOT PROMOTING ANYTHING, just healthy eating be it by paleo or whatever diet works for you that does not include taking hormones!!!!
  • minadeathclutch
    Options
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Paleo_diet

Paleolithic diets necessarily included things that most Americans (who are the primary consumers of this woo) wouldn't touch with a 10-foot squeamish pole. Next time you meet a paleo, ask him or her if they eat:

>Small game - really small game - like rats, mice and squirrels.

>Unpleasant plants, pre-selective breeding. Sour and bitter tastes existed in many plant foods before human interference. Although paleolithic man probably would avoid downright foul-tasting (and likely poisonous food) the plants that they ate were hardly nice, friendly spinach or carrots. Many modern vegetables are more pleasant mutations of less pleasant or even poisonous plants such as the genuses solanum (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers) and prunus (almonds, peaches, apricots, plums, cherries). Safe varieties were likely discovered by just eating them and hoping it didn't kill anybody. In addition, paleolithic people are known to have eaten woody stems, stripped bark, and pith: things suspiciously absent from the modern paleo diet that probably contributed to the extreme wear and tear on their teeth observed in fossil individuals.

>Organ meat - a critical part of paleolithic man's diet. Does the average paleo dieter eat brains, tongues, stomach, eyes, liver, or kidneys? All of these bring important nutrition to our "healthy" ancestors that doesn't exist in white meat and cuts of grazing beef.

>Insects, especially grubs and large beetles, including roaches.

>Lizards, newts, frogs, turtles and anything else that had meat on its bones.

>Grains and other starches such as sorghum, wild corn (in both North and South American), potatoes (South America), and a large variety of seeds. Evidence for consumption of legumes such as wild lentils has also been found, along with stone tools associated with processing them.[9]
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    430410_359765870721532_100000643673342_1100482_905346123_n.jpg
  • Acg67
    Options

In that study their TDEE was 3000 calories, 45-50% carbs, 30% protein, plus over 100g of fiber...

I want to see one person try to eat 375(1500 calories) of carbs, also including 100g of fiber, plus 225g of protein. Point is that study, and everyone you posted, and everyone i posted, are BS.

I've come close to that in a single sitting, what's your point?
  • tjkemommy
    tjkemommy Posts: 15
    Options
    Keep up what works for you that is what is most important. Great job! :happy:
  • Acg67
    Options

In that study their TDEE was 3000 calories, 45-50% carbs, 30% protein, plus over 100g of fiber...

I want to see one person try to eat 375(1500 calories) of carbs, also including 100g of fiber, plus 225g of protein. Point is that study, and everyone you posted, and everyone i posted, are BS.

I've come close to that in a single sitting, what's your point?

Prove it, what did you eat?

5lb burrito in 48 min. filled with chicken, beans etc
  • Acg67
    Options
    I know of that burrito, probably filled with rice, beans, cheese, does this grow in the paleo trees or what?

"I want to see one person try to eat 375(1500 calories) of carbs, also including 100g of fiber, plus 225g of protein"
  • Acg67
    Options
    I know of that burrito, probably filled with rice, beans, cheese, does this grow in the paleo trees or what?

"I want to see one person try to eat 375(1500 calories) of carbs, also including 100g of fiber, plus 225g of protein"

The context is paleo, let me be more specific, my issue is with that study.

And what is your beef with it, it was posted in response to the claim humans were eating low carb prior to agriculture flourishing.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A diet, is a diet, is a diet... You want to lose weight? Make a lifestyle change.
  • Acg67
    Options

The context is paleo, let me be more specific, my issue is with that study.

And what is your beef with it, it was posted in response to the claim humans were eating low carb prior to agriculture flourishing.

I was just about to email you, i am glad you asked "what my beef is." You're constantly critical of people, which isn't right. You act like your words are god or something. Things that don't agree with your view is classified as a "quack"

I'm critical of pseudo/junk science and i never said i was always right, i'm always up for a debate, but I at least will back up my points,m instead of simply making a claim and refusing to substantiate it. And things I have called quackish, more def are, if it looks and acts like a duck...
  • CptCappie
    CptCappie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I got your back - been Paleo for a while; roommate has been Paleo for 3 years. If you love it, keep it up and don't listen to anyone else.

To me, a fad diet is something like Sensa, where it just seems silly. Losing weight from eliminating bread and pasta and eating more fresh meat and produce isn't really that crazy...

Funny how most of us Paleo and low-carbers are friendly and supportive, while the annorexic (1000 calorie a day) MFP elite knock everyone else's dietary choices.

I'm probably not going to check this thread, so send the hate mail directly to me please ;)

Word!

These two people are Awesome. So much hate on for Paleo/Primal. I just don't get it.... As Mark Sisson would say GROK ON!
  • Chriztii
    Chriztii Posts: 94
    Options
    Honestly whatever works for someone, then thats their choice but in my opinion the only real change is changing your lifestyle and making healthy changes. I don't think completely blocking out anything in your life is "healthy" even chocolate. I've lost about 7kg since December last year just by following the 1200 calories and if you look at my diary you'll see that i go over quite often to around 1500-1700 when i've been naughty. Yes my weight loss is less but im not gaining and i'm still eating some foods i love. This is all without any exercise btw which i'll start introducing into my everyday life this year :).

Anyway my point was that you dont need to stop eating anything to lose weight, i have no facts on the matter but i'd hope people would stop dieting and just portion and eat healthier =/
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think that part of the problem is that all the people bashing the Paleo/Primal diet have bought into all the "conventional wisdom" they grew up being brainwashed with.

Yes, if you go by the standards set out by the government and the studies of doctor's, then the paleo/primal diet is unhealthy. You will be much better off eating your gluten and 6-8 servings of grains every day.

Just because the government suggests it, doesn't necessarily mean it's the best for you (the government also heavily subsidizes wheat production...just saying). Just because "doctor's studies" say that it's better to eat grains, doesn't necessarily mean it's true either (even if they are the "experts"). Doctors are also the ones who have prescribed menthol cigarettes for colds, drilled holes in people's skulls to "relieve pressure", performed lobotomies to "cure" mental illness...the list goes on and on. Sure, they may know more than most, but I'm not convinced they have everything figured out with the human body (don't get me wrong, if I accidentally get a figure cut off, I'm going to the closest hospital). Even within the medical community, there are contradictory studies on the benefits/harmfulness of wheat/gluten in the body (Dr. William Davis wrote "Wheat Belly", it's a very popular read these days).

My family and I are at a point now where we don't really care what other people think. We are happy with the results we've seen by moving towards the primal blueprint lifestyle, so we will continue to do it. It's not for everyone, but I think those that are open minded enough to give it a fair shot will be happily surprised.