Let's talk about...the Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,728 Member
    Options
    I find myself fascinated by this thread. I don't have much to add to the discussion that hasn't already been said, but I decided to post something to it besides "bump" to get it into my queue.

I take no issue with someone who chooses to follow a Paleo diet, but there is no way on earth I'd ever want to do it.
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I don't believe in counting calories though. If your eating plan is fat, protein and vegetables, there is really no need to count calories.

Why not? Fat, protein, and vegetables all eaten to excess still get stored as fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

That is exactly what makes paleo/low carb superior...the idea that they can instinctively eat just the right enough food to create a caloric deficit without even thinking about their calorie intake. I don't know why this is un-important to so many people.

I very easily overeat on reduced carbs. I usually overeat meat and vegetables more than any grain based carbs. I don't think people can "instinctively eat just the right enough food" on low carb, or paleo. You still need awareness of how much you are eating.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in counting calories though. If your eating plan is fat, protein and vegetables, there is really no need to count calories.

You need to go to a Brazilian rodizio, I can hit 10,000 calories in one sitting on just fat and protein.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

That is exactly what makes paleo/low carb superior...the idea that they can instinctively eat just the right enough food to create a caloric deficit without even thinking about their calorie intake. I don't know why this is un-important to so many people.

I very easily overeat on reduced carbs. I usually overeat meat and vegetables more than any grain based carbs. I don't think people can "instinctively eat just the right enough food" on low carb, or paleo. You still need awareness of how much you are eating.

You are in the minority then. MOST people find it hard to over eat when on a carb restricted diet, and MOST people find it hard to not over eat on a highly refined carb diet. You can look up the studies yourself, there are plenty of them. That is not to say there are people that are just gluttons and just over eat everything, but MOST are not like you,,,,, when it comes to overeating on a carb restricted diet.
  • freerange
    Options

You need to go to a Brazilian rodizio, I can hit 10,000 calories in one sitting on just fat and protein.

10000? Really? I would like to see that,,,,,, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are "bending" the truth here.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Funny, then, how I know so many low-carbers who are STILL having a hard time losing weight.

I am willing to bet that the majority of those "low carbers" are eating shakes, protein bars and such with artifiical ingredients and hidden sugars and are consuming far more carbs than they "perceive" they are.

People that are sticking to the basics of fat, protein and vegetables (in that order) do not have any issues with losing weight and cutting fat at all.

If they are TRULY sticking to the basics and having an issue with losing weight, then they need to make an appointment with a Dr and get a full blood panel done to see what is going on with their adrenal glands, thyroid, etc.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I am willing to bet that the majority of those "low carbers" are eating shakes, protein bars and such with artifiical ingredients and hidden sugars and are consuming far more carbs than they "perceive" they are.

People that are sticking to the basics of fat, protein and vegetables (in that order) do not have any issues with losing weight and cutting fat at all.

If they are TRULY sticking to the basics and having an issue with losing weight, then they need to make an appointment with a Dr and get a full blood panel done to see what is going on with their adrenal glands, thyroid, etc.

I've had my blood work done, all normal, and I can still overeat on this diet. As I said, Brazilian rodizios. All you can eat meat buffet. I ate there regularly when I was in Sao Paulo on business, and gained 30 lbs in 3 months (by the way...it was TOTALLY worth it). There are plenty of scenarios like that. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everybody. Unless it's strictly foods I don't like, I can overeat on just about any diet out there. I have to control my calorie intake no matter what. I'm certain I'm not the only person who thinks the only think better than one steak is ten steaks.
  • freerange
    Options

There are 790 calories in 1 pound of 90/10 ground beef, sooooooo 10000cal would be what over 12lb of beef. but you would only need a little less than 7 pounds of french fries to = 10000cals, so it's pretty clear it's much easier to over eat on a high carb diet than a low carb diet. Thus endeth the lesson for the day, carry on children.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    10000? Really? I would like to see that,,,,,, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are "bending" the truth here.

It's a 2 - 4 hour meal.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/generic/picanha/

And that's on the lean side compared to some of the other meats (it's my favorite cut though, so it's what I order the most of). I can put down 3 kilos of meat if it's that delicious. I eat a LOT.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Funny, then, how I know so many low-carbers who are STILL having a hard time losing weight.

Hold protein and cals constant and it doesn't matter if you high fat or low fat, fat loss will be the same
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    There are 790 calories in 1 pound of 90/10 ground beef, sooooooo 10000cal would be what over 12lb of beef. but you would only need a little less than 7 pounds of french fries to = 10000cals, so it's pretty clear it's much easier to over eat on a high carb diet than a low carb diet. Thus endeth the lesson for the day, carry on children.

Meat at rodizio's isn't 90/10 and it certainly isn't hamburger chuck. Not even close.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Annnnnnnd the low carb idiocy begins
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    LOL.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Annnnnnnd the low carb idiocy begins

You can eat olive oil and nuts on Paleo, you're allowed to have vitamin zero water on non-Paleo. It's a lot easier to hit 10,000 cals on nuts covered in oil than it is on with the vitamin water.

QED

Cause that works right?
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Let's talk like cavemen!

Oooga booga ugh!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I am sure that is the civilized discussion he was looking for
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,728 Member
    Options
    But how many pounds of boiled potatoes would you have to eat to reach 10,000 calories? :bigsmile:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'd object to the word "idiocy" if the condescending person in question hadn't called us all "children."
  • freerange
    Options

It's a 2 - 4 hour meal.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/generic/picanha/

And that's on the lean side compared to some of the other meats (it's my favorite cut though, so it's what I order the most of). I can put down 3 kilos of meat if it's that delicious. I eat a LOT.

Ok so that's about 1000 per pound, still that's ten pounds, I would go out on a limb again and be willing to bet a sizable sum you cannot eat 10 pounds of meat in one 2 hour meal.