Let's talk about...the Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    All of these nutrients are found in things like vegetables and meats so it's not necessary to eat grains to get them.

My question: What nutrients require us to eat grains in order to get them as they can't be obtained from other sources?

And don't say carbs as they can be easily obtained from vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. which are, I believe, all allowed on most paleo-style plans.

I don't think anyone said that you need to eat grains, the topic at hand was the claim that the crust was nutritionally devoid, not if there were better sources for the nutrients in the crust. I would agree with you that there are better sources for the nutrients, but the crust still has nutrients in it

SideSteal named those three nutrients specifically even though only one, selenium, is probably in the pizza crust naturally and manganese only if the flour was enriched. Phosphorus that we can actually use doesn't even come from grains atll.

So, yes, he did make a specific claim that turns out not to be true. I'd love to hear his thoughts on that and, of course, that bit of misinformation is going to make me skeptical of his other statements.
    So you find a list of 5 items containing manganese, and decide based on that incredibly limited sample (there are thousands of foods containing manganese, it's one of the most common elements on the planet, and yes, it's in refined white flour,) you decide that a poster's entire contribution of knowledge is suspect? That's incredibly short sighted, especially because your argument has nothing to do with the point he was making, which is that pizza crust does contain nutrients, and is not "nutritionally devoid" as was claimed. Could he have chosen other nutrients? Sure, he most likely chose them at random.

White flour is really just refined carbohydrates since the germ and bran have been removed. (The wheat germ is the most nutrient dense part of the grain; rich in vitamin E, zinc, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, foliate, vitamin B6, manganese, and selenium.)

Like I said, it is nutritionally void.

Protein isn't a nutrient and fats from olive oil aren't nutrients? And if you think crust lacks taste, you haven't had good pizza before

Proteins and fats are macros.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

So basically you will use processed foods, you just justify it by telling yourself they aren't processed?

Cognitive dissonance is fascinating.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    All of these nutrients are found in things like vegetables and meats so it's not necessary to eat grains to get them.

My question: What nutrients require us to eat grains in order to get them as they can't be obtained from other sources?

And don't say carbs as they can be easily obtained from vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc. which are, I believe, all allowed on most paleo-style plans.

I don't think anyone said that you need to eat grains, the topic at hand was the claim that the crust was nutritionally devoid, not if there were better sources for the nutrients in the crust. I would agree with you that there are better sources for the nutrients, but the crust still has nutrients in it

SideSteal named those three nutrients specifically even though only one, selenium, is probably in the pizza crust naturally and manganese only if the flour was enriched. Phosphorus that we can actually use doesn't even come from grains atll.

So, yes, he did make a specific claim that turns out not to be true. I'd love to hear his thoughts on that and, of course, that bit of misinformation is going to make me skeptical of his other statements.
    So you find a list of 5 items containing manganese, and decide based on that incredibly limited sample (there are thousands of foods containing manganese, it's one of the most common elements on the planet, and yes, it's in refined white flour,) you decide that a poster's entire contribution of knowledge is suspect? That's incredibly short sighted, especially because your argument has nothing to do with the point he was making, which is that pizza crust does contain nutrients, and is not "nutritionally devoid" as was claimed. Could he have chosen other nutrients? Sure, he most likely chose them at random.

White flour is really just refined carbohydrates since the germ and bran have been removed. (The wheat germ is the most nutrient dense part of the grain; rich in vitamin E, zinc, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, foliate, vitamin B6, manganese, and selenium.)

Like I said, it is nutritionally void.

Protein isn't a nutrient and fats from olive oil aren't nutrients? And if you think crust lacks taste, you haven't had good pizza before

Go on...

What is "macro" short for?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

So basically you will use processed foods, you just justify it by telling yourself they aren't processed?

Good catch.

EVERYTHING is processed to some degree. It's just a matter of figuring out what processing is acceptable to you and what isn't.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options

Lost it!

You do know that "macro" is short for "macronutrient", right?
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    My brain hurts. I actually read the entire first page.

/flex

Now. Can someone explain what is a paleo diet in plain english. Please?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I never said pizza crust is nutritionally void. While I don't think it's full of good nutrition and believe there are far better choices, it does have something.

The list I gave was for major food groups containing these nutrients, not necessarily specific foods, i.e. vegetables (not a list of certain vegetables), meat (not a list of certain kinds), etc.

And, btw, manganese is only found in enriched white flour. Is all white flour enriched? Probably is, I don't know, and not going to waste time trying to find out.

I still find it interesting that it's not naturally found in white flour unless enriched yet it's found in whole grains. Another argument for eating foods that are unprocessed or very minimally processed. And the phosphorus in grains is not usable by humans.

SideSteal is one that claims science is on his side. Therefore, it's incredibly short-sighted for him to randomly pick three nutrients and only be right about one, partially right about the other, and wrong about the third.
  • penrbrown
    Options

/flex

In plain English:

Another fad somebody is using to sell books.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options

Lost it!

I thought macro = codes/commands you put on your controller to own noobs in computer games?
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Cognitive dissonance is fascinating.

Now Ron, what would Li'l Sebastian do?

parksandrec_s03e16.jpg
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

What grains can you eat that don't need to be processed to hell, except for rice?

And dairy is allowed on Paleo / Primal as long as your body is tolerant to dairy, so it is very individual.

Many people I know that eat Paleo and Primal eat white rice and some limited dairy.

Really, how long have people been eating grains? Isn't whole wheat flour okay? Aren't oats a grain? Aren't they okay? How about Quinoa? Rye? Millet? Buckwheat? I was under the impression these were fairly good for you.

I don't know. I suppose I'm old school. I grew up with grains being on the pyramid of the food groups we're supposed to eat. :)

Yes you adhere to the food pyramid, the government really has your best interest at heart (cough) and have you noticed the more grains servings they have added to the food pyramid the fatter people get.

The grains that are eaten today are in no shape or form the same grains that were eaten a hundred years ago, let alone thousands of years ago.

Whole wheat flour, Rye, buckwheat and all other grains contain gluten, which causes me to have joint pain for days or sometimes weeks on end.

Technically all grains contain some level of gluten, some more so than others. I stay away from grains for many reasons and staying pain free is one of them. As I previously mentioned, I had a blueberry bagel as a courteous gesture from our instructor that brought them to class last week, I have been aching in my bones and joints ever since to the point of being in tears at times.

Millet and quinoa are seeds that I do not partake in.

The only seeds I do eat are sunflower and pumpkin seed.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

/flex

How's this?
    What Is a Paleolithic Diet?
    The Paleolithic diet is also referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet, and hunter–gatherer diet. This diet consists of foods that are assumed to have been available to humans prior to the establishment of agriculture. The Paleolithic period began approximately 2.5 million years ago, when humans first started to use stone tools. The period ended with the emergence of agriculture approximately 10,000 years ago. The principal components of this diet are wild-animal source and uncultivated-plant source foods, such as lean meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, roots, eggs, and nuts. The diet excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils, all of which were unavailable before humans began cultivating plants and domesticating animals. Observational studies of modern-day Paleolithic types of populations support a conclusion that a Paleolithic diet prevents obesity and metabolic syndrome. The main ingredient lacking in a Paleolithic diet is calcium, which must be supplemented to prevent bone mineral loss.

The appeal of this diet is that, since the advent of agriculture and animal domestication approximately 10,000 years ago, there has been little time for significant evolution of core metabolic and physiological processes in response to the major dietary changes introduced by these new food-producing practices. Proponents of the Paleolithic diet believe that modern humans are genetically adapted to a Paleolithic diet and not to the current so-called civilized diet. They believe that the modern so-called civilized diet may lead to chronic diseases such as T2DM [Type 2 Diabetes], obesity, and cardiovascular disease, which are associated with societal affluence.2

[Emphasis added.]
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2787021/?tool=pubmed
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Lost it!

Yes, I am very well aware that macro is short for macronutrient.

I am talking about micronutrient density in foods, not the macronutrients, which are 2 different things to compare.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Yes you adhere to the food pyramid, the government really has your best interest at heart (cough) and have you noticed the more grains servings they have added to the food pyramid the fatter people get.

The grains that are eaten today are in no shape or form the same grains that were eaten a hundred years ago, let alone thousands of years ago.

Whole wheat flour, Rye, buckwheat and all other grains contain gluten, which causes me to have joint pain for days or sometimes weeks on end.

Technically all grains contain some level of gluten, some more so than others. I stay away from grains for many reasons and staying pain free is one of them. As I previously mentioned, I had a blueberry bagel as a courteous gesture from our instructor that brought them to class last week, I have been aching in my bones and joints ever since to the point of being in tears at times.

Millet and quinoa are seeds that I do not partake in.

The only seeds I do eat are sunflower and pumpkin seed.

And oats? They are gluten-free my friend. I know. I'm allergic to wheat, barley and intolerant to gluten. :) Last I checked oats are considered a grain.

Because gluten makes you sick doesn't mean it makes everyone sick. People who can eat grains and gluten have no reason NOT to eat grains and gluten really.
  • RonSwanson66
    Options
    Dinosaur-Meat-11.jpg
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Dinosaur-Meat-11.jpg

Waha! I want one... but it looks kind of expensive.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    SideSteal is one that claims science is on his side.

When did I make this claim?
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    wow all of this crazy.. and to what benefit?.. can't we all agree that healthy eating = natural food in the right portions-meaning food that closely resembles as possible what it was orginally created to be- good protein source, fruits, veggies, nuts, fats and yes carbs (gasp).. and also means eating to be satisfied not stuffed. if you want to eat refined grains everyday in abundance and don't have physical problems do so..no one is going to stop you. but let's not call things like pizza crust and food like it -normal mac and cheese- - donuts and other things made from white flour healthy.. I mean come on, even kids know this stuff is junk food. it's not healthy or important or essential since most grains have been genetically altered from their original state on planet earth. BUT do we want to eat it ..sure.. even most paleo/primal/grain free /low carbers -even if they are dogmatic will at some point comsume breads, pastas, desserts..it's all a matter of how they are made and what they are made out of.. is it essential to health no.. to well being maybe???
    the rest is all gravy- the spice of life..
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

The WHO seems to think obesity is a rising problem.

http://www.who.int/hpr/NPH/docs/gs_obesity.pdf

So if processed foods aren't a good diet, what diet beats the paleo diet of more natural whole foods?

Doesn't the Paleo diet cut out grains? Grains are natural. Doesn't it also cut out dairy? Isn't dairy natural?

:) When I say processed, I mean food that has an ingredient list so long that it takes twenty minutes just to read it.

Edited to Add: I will read your article later. Thank you for the link.

What grains can you eat that don't need to be processed to hell, except for rice?

And dairy is allowed on Paleo / Primal as long as your body is tolerant to dairy, so it is very individual.

Many people I know that eat Paleo and Primal eat white rice and some limited dairy.

And so processing = bad? So you don't use butter or oils at all?

Or cook anything. Don't forgetting cooking. That's unnatural.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

/flex

http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Body-Mind-Beyond-Health/dp/1594774137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331661239&sr=8-1

Watch the video. It explains EVERYTHING!