im not taking anything away from those who have lost a lot o

Options

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Just reading through the post, I think there are two overall problems. First, there's some confusion, or perhaps just disagreement, over whether we should celebrate effort or results. The second problem is that we tend to make some inappropriate assumptions about either results or effort based on appearance.

The first problem is understandable. There are aspects in life where results matter. When I was teaching, I didn't give credit for effort. Does it suck that one person has to work twice as hard to be half as good as someone else in whatever subject? Yup. Life is unfair. That said, there are aspects of life when I think it's important to celebrate the effort. I believe that weight loss and overall fitness are so grounded in motivation that those good efforts need to be celebrated.

The second problem has to do with how we might judge effort. We try to use the result, as it's displayed, as a measurement of effort. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't make any sense. Is it possible for someone who loses 150lbs to do so without putting in some impressive work? Sure, but I don't think it's all that likely. I think in that case, we can accept their weight loss as a reasonable measure of their effort. When we see someone who is fit, with no evidence of ever having been overweight, it's hard to know what kind of effort they put into looking fit. It could be the same daily struggle as someone who loses 150lbs or it could be mostly effortless due to routine; it's hard to say.

So when we celebrate people who have success in losing weight, it's not a slight to people who never had anything to lose. The two aren't related at all. It's just that it's easier to see the effort put in by someone who's lost a lot of weight. If the thinner, fitter, person wants a trophy for the effort they put in, they'll have to get it from friends who know them and see the work they put into themselves. Is that fair? Maybe not....as I said before it's not fair that some people have to work twice as hard to be half as good either.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I see your point.

HOWEVER..... Then should we say kudos to those who never smoked a cigarette, never tried a joint, never drank alcohol, never mainlined.... etc.

It IS an achievement to do it right in the first place, but it's hard to pick and choose every little thing someone did right. It is much easier to notice a dramatic change.

YES!

because those of us who have stayed thin, not smoked or done drugs, etc most (if not all) of our lives still had to make that choice. we were still faced with all the same temptations as everyone else. after having my babies and being heavier than starting out, could i have just gave in and let myself go? in times of heavy stress, could I have decided to eat until the pain went away? could I have given in to peer pressure and done drugs w/ the druggie kids at school?

i could have, but i didn't. i made that choice and I think that is an accomplishment. i don't go around patting my back for it or rubbing it in other's faces, but i think we (society) put a lot of focus on recovery and maybe not enough on prevention.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

Genetics
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i mean i just wanted to see if i posted something people would respond, so i just wrote something i heard on TV which is funny because some people have seen this as a serioussss subject and now people are getting all anxsty its quite funny, but has raised a few points for me one being over weight people think they have it so much harder than underwieght or normal weight people - which yes they do im not being mean to over weight people at all by saying this. its just something that came off. and most people would agree, they didnt get overweight by going running everyday or restricting their diets, so yeah they do have to work harder and im not saying its all just physical yep theres psychological reasons too, i was annorexic for a longggggggggg time i really know the back lash, you get picked on if youre fat or skinny so no skinny people dont have their own cheerleaders. i sound mean im not being mean. im not. but wow.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

Are you serous, do you celebrate one year being single and ask your friend to come to you single shower......don't think so.....think before you post wanting us to give you a compliment

Agreed, I'm a bitter overweight person and I only congratulate those who have done amazing things like some of the extrodinary people on this site...
    Great you never put on weight but I feel like your throwin it in my face because I can't even look at a doughnut without putting on 5lbs.....and I don't like it
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i mean i just wanted to see if i posted something people would respond, so i just wrote something i heard on TV which is funny because some people have seen this as a serioussss subject and now people are getting all anxsty its quite funny, but has raised a few points for me one being over weight people think they have it so much harder than underwieght or normal weight people - which yes they do im not being mean to over weight people at all by saying this. its just something that came off. and most people would agree, they didnt get overweight by going running everyday or restricting their diets, so yeah they do have to work harder and im not saying its all just physical yep theres psychological reasons too, i was annorexic for a longggggggggg time i really know the back lash, you get picked on if youre fat or skinny so no skinny people dont have their own cheerleaders. i sound mean im not being mean. im not. but wow.

You're such a troll
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    That is great, but then why would they be on MFP?

Exactly.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

^This!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    The already skinny people have their cheerleaders... They get all the attention in magazines, tv, movies, in clubs, dating, social events, high average wages, and in generally being treated better. Let the struggling have a moment....

^^THIS.
  • tonihayden
    Options
    The already skinny people have their cheerleaders... They get all the attention in magazines, tv, movies, in clubs, dating, social events, high average wages, and in generally being treated better. Let the struggling have a moment....

dude.....................this is sooooooo awesome!!
    agree 100 percent and thanks for putting out here!
  • davitalynette
    davitalynette Posts: 117 Member
    Options

YES!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't feel like someone should assume that when someone else is thin it's because it's genetics or they are lucky in some way.

Maybe they should follow that person around for a day and see how much exercise they get. I'm lucky in that I have a pretty fast paced job in that I have to move very quickly non stop. Others may not get that during their day and blame it on someone being lucky. A desk job or something like that doesn't allow normal activity as your exercise. You have to take the time to work out.

I'm just happy for anyone losing weight and trying to get fit. Any size.
  • aliric
    aliric Posts: 69
    Options
    ^ this ^
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I find the "genetic roll of the dice people" a little offensive. I'm thin, I'm on MFP. I've been "on a diet" for the last 15 years of my life. That's how I stay thin. I eat well, I exercise. I have the lifestyle that most people on MFP are trying get to (except I don't lift heavy, I don't really care about a ripped body) and I work at it ALL THE TIME.

So, don't assume thin people are just lucky. It takes work, constant work.

Thanks for listening.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I definitely agree with you. Just because someone is thin does not neccesarily mean they are healthy. My best friend who isn't heavy at all gets winded going up and down her stairs and she's skinny but she will also admit to being out of shape. Lol
    Btw I love your profile pic. :)

Yep. I walked to the store with my 18 year old daughter yesterday. She's 5'0, 108 lb and a size 4. I had to slow down for her because she couldn't keep up and was out of breath. But i imagine most people who see us together would assume she was the fit, healthy one. Not so much.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options

You are completely right.

I was talking to my parents about some nutritional things that I've learned, and my mom (who has always been thin) was questioning some of it (not in an unsupportive way at all, just a conversational back-and-forth), and my Dad yelled at her - "Don't question her - she's lost over 100 pounds!" - and I said back to him, "How about don't question HER - she never had over 100 pounds to lose!" :)
  • amyy902
    Options

You're such a troll

nah its not about being a troll its about seeing what other people think and how they feel actually because im not saying i did this to spite anyone i think what i may have written didnt come across right, i heard someone say it on TV and i thought thats intresting, im not sure i understand how theyre thinking, so i posted it to see what other people thought so i could try and form an opinion on the matter. i didnt post it thinking anyone would respond at all. but they did. some people posted with a fair perseption others posted very onesided, i didnt post it as a serious i need to know this.

its fact you dont get fat from not eating sensible healthy amounts and doing sensible regular exercise, but you also dont get anorexic by eating proper potions sensibly exercising. so theres two ends of the spectrum and not enough people in the middle.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I see your point.

HOWEVER..... Then should we say kudos to those who never smoked a cigarette, never tried a joint, never drank alcohol, never mainlined.... etc.

It IS an achievement to do it right in the first place, but it's hard to pick and choose every little thing someone did right. It is much easier to notice a dramatic change.

Actually, personally I think we SHOULD celebrate not just people who come back from addictions, but also those (esp. kids) who consistently make good choices all along.

As a culture, we do a lot of glorifying people in recovery. I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate them, but I think there's also an element of gory "rubbernecking" that we do in listening to their stories. It seems the gorier, the farther down they fell, the more we like to hear about it (as a culture, not necessarily as an individual).

The kid who grew up with a lot of temptation, who stayed in school, who never took drugs, who every day made the decision to keep on a path, we never celebrate that kid, and perhaps we should.

I agree. Just as it's important to recognize those who have never tried drugs, never smoked a cigarette, it's important to recognize those who have always made healthy choices when it comes to food and exercise. I never tried drugs or cigarettes but man how I wish I'd known how to make smart choices about the other aspects of my health! I'm hoping that I'll be able to teach my kids how to eat right, how to stay active throughout their lives, and the importance of avoiding drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol on in moderation.
  • amyy902
    Options

You are completely right.

I was talking to my parents about some nutritional things that I've learned, and my mom (who has always been thin) was questioning some of it (not in an unsupportive way at all, just a conversational back-and-forth), and my Dad yelled at her - "Don't question her - she's lost over 100 pounds!" - and I said back to him, "How about don't question HER - she never had over 100 pounds to lose!" :)

youre right. im the opposite, my mum and i were talking about a girl who was like me and had anorexia and had recovered and become healthy, and im in that process, and she said i was doing amazing and i said, yes but i should never have had to gain 30lbs to be a healthy adult really. i know things are more complex than this, but same wave length diff experience so to speak.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

To track their macros? To get healthier? To improve their fitness levels? To engage with other people who are struggling with health related issues? To gain insight into their eating patterns?

Who knows?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!