im not taking anything away from those who have lost a lot o

Options
12345679»

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    So why is this thread under SUCCESS STORIES?????
  • abbygm
    abbygm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have never been above a normal BMI, and if you did not know me you may think that I am genetically blessed. However, I have worked hard all of my life to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. I eat 5-10 fruits and veggies daily and workout for 45 minutes to an hour every day. I am on MFP to assist in maintaining my weight and to track nutrients and exercise. I do not expect or want anyone to congratulate me, but you should be aware that many of us are not genetically blessed but have consistently worked hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Best wishes to you all on your journey.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I think I kind of get what the OP was saying, and a few others have touched on it.

For example, I'm 190lbs right now. My goal weight is 150, and if I am able to lose more that would be awesome too. So let's say I lose those 40lbs, and I'm sure people on here and in my life will be saying, "Wow, 40 pounds, that's amazing, holy cow!" Those big numbers look really good, right?

But 10 years ago, straight out of college, I weighed 110. Too thin for my height tbh (5'5"). Obviously I don't have the genes (at least anymore) that make me skinny no matter what I eat, otherwise I wouldn't be 190 now, right? So let's say after I got out of college, when I eventually hit 125, I thought, "Gee, this is a good weight for me, and it's obviously been going up, so I should probably start being more careful what I eat and how much I work out." I would stay around 125, and even though I would be watching what I ate and running or lifting or whatever, nobody would say, "Hey, good for you for not letting yourself go!" They would just assume that that's how my body is. And when I was at that weight, it was amazing how many people would say, "Well, you can eat whatever you want and it doesn't matter because you're already skinny. I don't see why you're eating a salad." That's kind of what made me end up at 190 to begin with... listening to them and figuring they were right.

I'd be doing the same amount of work in either case, but only get recognition for *losing* the weight. But in the end, it would have been better if I'd started being more careful when I hit 125, not when I hit 190, so that should have deserved a pat on the back too. Does that make sense?

I dunno... that's what I read into it, anyway. I didn't get the feeling she was talking about people who never even have to think about it, they just eat whatever they want and their super-high metabolism takes care of the rest.

i totally agree with this!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry you feel this way. I hope you'll stay around.

This is My FITNESS Pal (also, capitalizing for emphasizing, not to be yelling, LOL). This isn't My Lose Weight Site or My Diet Site, and that's one of the reasons why I'm here.

This is a site that underweight people can use to help them gain weight, people who are the right weight can use to improve their nutrition and become more fit, whatever your goals are, this website can work for you.

So stay here, work toward your goals, and don't take the posts in this thread to heart. Best wishes!

i have realized there a a lot of great people on here and i intend on sticking around for a while. i am still working toward my goals and i will associate myself with those who are supportive! thanks for your comment :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!