The halfers club...for those needing to lose half or more of

Options
Its a different Journey in some ways i think for those of us whom have ALOT of weight to lose, from those who perhaps have 20 or 30 pounds to lose.

We know what it feels like to be told by our doctors how unhealthy we are, and have medical complications to do with our weight.
We know what it feels like to have significant long term issues with food, whether it be yoyo dieting, binging, emotional eating, abusing diet pills, fads,...and the list goes on
We know what it feels like to know we are the fattest person in the room.
We know what it feels like and how devastating it is to realise at some point we could no longer fit into clothes from regular stores, and had to start shopping at plus size stores.
We know what it feels like to have to squish into movie theatre and airplane seats which are made for more 'averaged' sized people.
We know what it feels like to think about our goal weight and for it to seem so very far away.

Well I want YOU to journey with me. I am here for the LONG haul with half of my body weight to lose to be at the mid to lower end of the 'normal' BMI range for my height. I am here for the good days and the bad days. If you have half your weight to lose, and would like to chat with others in the same predicament please could you join me in our quest for not only success in looking better and feeling better, but in minimising health risks and having longer happier lives.
Give us your stats, and feel free to share your successes and failings here, ask questions, give tips and really just help us all to encourage each other in our quest for slimming...

I am 160cm and 125kg (5.3, 276pounds) am 26 years old. My goal weight is around 63kg (137pounds)
and I know that it is going to take me years to get there. but it took years to get to the weight I am now from when i used to be my goal weight previously.

I am not on a particular plan, just a lifestyle change, just counting calories with goals set for me from MFP and excercising and utilising this amazing website to assist me with everything.

look forward to having some laughs along the way with you all.
Pink

Replies

• pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Its a different Journey in some ways i think for those of us whom have ALOT of weight to lose, from those who perhaps have 20 or 30 pounds to lose.

We know what it feels like to be told by our doctors how unhealthy we are, and have medical complications to do with our weight.
    We know what it feels like to have significant long term issues with food, whether it be yoyo dieting, binging, emotional eating, abusing diet pills, fads,...and the list goes on
    We know what it feels like to know we are the fattest person in the room.
    We know what it feels like and how devastating it is to realise at some point we could no longer fit into clothes from regular stores, and had to start shopping at plus size stores.
    We know what it feels like to have to squish into movie theatre and airplane seats which are made for more 'averaged' sized people.
    We know what it feels like to think about our goal weight and for it to seem so very far away.

Well I want YOU to journey with me. I am here for the LONG haul with half of my body weight to lose to be at the mid to lower end of the 'normal' BMI range for my height. I am here for the good days and the bad days. If you have half your weight to lose, and would like to chat with others in the same predicament please could you join me in our quest for not only success in looking better and feeling better, but in minimising health risks and having longer happier lives.
    Give us your stats, and feel free to share your successes and failings here, ask questions, give tips and really just help us all to encourage each other in our quest for slimming...

I am 160cm and 125kg (5.3, 276pounds) am 26 years old. My goal weight is around 63kg (137pounds)
    and I know that it is going to take me years to get there. but it took years to get to the weight I am now from when i used to be my goal weight previously.

I am not on a particular plan, just a lifestyle change, just counting calories with goals set for me from MFP and excercising and utilising this amazing website to assist me with everything.

look forward to having some laughs along the way with you all.
    Pink
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    Count me in. I want to lose 140 pounds, and then maybe a few more after that. Losing 140-150 puts me at losing half my weight :ohwell:
  • Serendipidy
    Serendipidy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Count me in too - I have 80 pounds to loose to get to my goal weight of 140 pounds - this is my first week on this plan and knowing its going to take a year and a half to get there is really daunting. I so dont want this to become a few week wonder for me and for me to go back to my old ways of my hand to mouth action working faster than my brain.

The brilliant thing about this site is that all the tools are at hand and now its up to me to make the right choices. I am going to set my self some mini treats for each half stone lost and for my half way point I plant to go visit Virgin Islands and for my 140 pound mark im gonna get my boobs lifted!!! Other treats are on their way including teeth whitening and getting into my really cute pink track suit in 6 weeks time!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I've lost 22 pounds and am very proud of that - but yes, I know it's going to be a long haul! I have 124 pounds to lose to get to my goal of 140 - which is less than I weighed in the 8th grade and have ever weighed since.

I agree that it is a different journey for those of us who have more to lose. My husband and I were actually talking about that the other day. When you have a "a whole person to lose" - you shed more than weight - you shed attitudes, habits, fears, etc. You shed an entire lifestyle and view of yourself.

Our accomplishments along the way are a little different as well... for instance:
    Last night I took my son to see ECW/Smackdown - we had to walk up 6 flights of stairs! Woohoo - I made it without stopping. I was tired, I was trembling and I was winded... but I did not have to stop.

My son put his arms around me and his hands touched - the look of pride in my 11 year olds face was perhaps my greatest accomplishment yet.

I bought smaller underwear.

I got rid of clothes that were too big - can't remember the last time that happened!

I think our setbacks are different too... at least mine are. There are very real fears for me that don't exist for others with less to lose... Someone with 30 lbs to lose probably doesn't worry that they will die from being overweight. Someone with 30 lbs probably doesn't have sleep apnea caused from their weight - which leads to so many other problems: depression, anxiety, etc.

I'm looking forward to supporing you all and working towards our goals together!
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Count me in too - I have 80 pounds to loose to get to my goal weight of 140 pounds - this is my first week on this plan and knowing its going to take a year and a half to get there is really daunting. I so dont want this to become a few week wonder for me and for me to go back to my old ways of my hand to mouth action working faster than my brain.

The brilliant thing about this site is that all the tools are at hand and now its up to me to make the right choices. I am going to set my self some mini treats for each half stone lost and for my half way point I plant to go visit Virgin Islands and for my 140 pound mark im gonna get my boobs lifted!!! Other treats are on their way including teeth whitening and getting into my really cute pink track suit in 6 weeks time!!

Sounds like some nice treats! lol
  • pinksultana
    Options
    Sonjavon - congrats on the 6 flights of stairs! It must have felt great (after you had a few minutes to catch your breath :) )
    And you are so right about the fears of loss of life, or serious illness due to being so overweight. It is scary - and that is why we NEED to change our lives for the better. We cannot just ignore this issues.

I wanted to share a hint with you all that ive had - Ive been using self-hypnosis CDs by a man named Glen Harrold called Lose weight now. It is basically a really relaxing 30 minutes where he talks you into relaxation and then suggests some positive changes for your lifestyle. Its not like hypnosis on the TV or anything weird like that, more like guided meditation with keeping to weight loss goal theme. It has helped me to not feel so much like fatty foods, or to feel like im missing out if i dont eat sweety treats ect, increased my water intake, and want to excercise more just by listening to this determinedly.

Well stepped on the scaled today to see a further 1kg loss. WOOOO
    we will ALL get there!!

xxPink
  • sonjavon
    Options
    How's everyone doing today? Off to a good start? I have an afternoon coming up where it looks like I'll be taking care of everyone else... so this morning is all about me...

I've made a good breakfast, had 3 cups of water and I'm getting ready to get on the treadmill... one hour of time JUST FOR ME.

So... tell me.... what are YOU doing today JUST FOR YOU? What are you doing to take care of YOU?
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Hey is this an open group? I can use all the support I can get. I need to lose 1/2 my weight plus 20. :grumble: I am also a member of the over 200 club. It really helps me to have to let someone know how I am doing. It makes me want to try harder. I appreciate sharing with someone who knows what it feels like to need to lose that much weight. I haven't had any health problems yet but they are on the way if I do not get this weight off. I started this journey on Feb. 20th. this is actually the longest I have ever tried to lose weight. I believe I will do it this time. Anyways, I would like to be part of this group if it is open?:flowerforyou:
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Sure, Momma2four!!

Well, today I got up and went for a walk. However, I had to sit out one little part of it because my stomach was giving me troubles. But then I trudged on. I went and bought a digital scale today, because it's so hard to read the analog ones! But now I have to try to figure out what my real starting weight was, and all that :grumble: but that's ok, at least now I feel like the reading is much more accurate!

Late on lunch though, because I went shopping...

Have a great Friday everyone!

--Jess
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Hey! Welcome Momma2four!
    Well - I did my walk today and I amazed myself! I walked for 3.5 miles on my treadmill! I alternated speed between 2.8 mph and 3.8 mph. It took me 67 minutes. I consider it a special accomplishment because I REALLY did not want to do it today... I mean REALLY! All I wanted to do was crawl back under the covers.. but I promised myself 20 minutes - then at 20 minutes I promised myself to make it to 2 miles. Then I promised to make it to 60 minutes... then I promised to make it to 3.5 miles. I like whole numbers... lol!

I burnt 416 calories according to my Polar F6. That's all the good things... the bad thing is I treated myself to an Iced Mocha from McDonalds... for a whopping 310 calories... but I REALLY wanted it and I figured - hey, it's my exercise calories. This whole thing is about making choices... and that's a choice I made. I don't feel too guilty because in a few hours I'm going to be moving boxes and furniture for my friend. Then I'll be up again at 8AM tomorrow doing the same... so there's a workout that I'm not actually counting.

So... let's talk about what brought us to the decision to lose weight this time. How is this time different for you than other times?

For me - I awakened one morning in March feeling like my life was just completely out of control. My sleep schedule was off, my house was a mess, I was hungry all the time, my clothes didn't fit and I just didn't feel like anything I was doing to get it under control was working. I've been a member of FlyLady.com for a long time - so I decided to find a weightloss ticker for my signature. When I googled weightloss tickers it brought me to MFP. I set up my profile and began watching what I was eating. Then I borrowed my mom's treadmill... the rest, as they say is history. Since starting MFP - life has gotten much, much easier. I sleep better at night, I have more energy to clean, I feel better, my skin is clearer, my PCOS seems to be getting better (3 straight months of having my period in a row...) - everything is improving. On the other hand... I'm still having a problem with clothes not fitting... but now it's because most of them are too big. I've gone from a size 26 jeans to a size 22.

I don't know why this time is different... but I know it is. I've tried every diet under the sun and yes, I've called it a life-style change then too. I've done Weight Watchers (gained 30 lbs), Atkins (lost - then gained - sometimes a girl just needs a sandwich!), LA Weightloss, Jenny Craig, Slim Fast, Metabolife (the old stuff), and just about every other diet you can think of.... NONE of them worked the way that this has. I've never been able to stick with an exercise program... but most days I walk on my treadmill - even if it's only for 20 minutes. I'm always surprised at how easy counting my calories is - it always seemed so difficult - but it's not that hard.

How about you guys... what brought you to MFP and why is this time different?
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll. I've been here longer than some, still got a long way to go. I've lost 34 pounds since joining MFP, did WW before that and plateaued for six months and gave up. Gained a little back, but not all. With MFP I have learned why every other "diet" has failed and why I plateaued. So far, I've hit only one small plateau and I "shook things up" and started losing again.

I'm losing a bit slower right now because I'm working with a trainer twice a week for six weeks and I'm building a lot of muscle, but that's fine. I'm still losing, just not at the rate I was!

I'm doing things I never thought I could do at this size, I started interval jogging (known as 'wogging', or walk-jogging). I do the elliptical and it's no big deal. My bum knee never bothers me (and it bothered me at 185!) because I've built up so much muscle. I've given away garbage bag after garbage bag of clothes, I can wear not 1 thing that I could wear last year. I even have my weight and body fat % posted on the wall at the gym because I'm in a contest there to see who loses the most body fat % this month (I'm not winnning, but I don't care!). I never EVER thought I'd let every one know how much I weighed, have it out there for all the world to see. But I don't care about that anymore, I don't care if people look at me and say, geez she's fat, because they don't know what i know - That there's a lot less of me than there was!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.:flowerforyou: What brought me to mfp. My sister who needs to lose 5 pounds, to look even better than she already does.:heart: She was using this site and I thought I would try it. My weight was getting out of control. I am not the tallest person in the world and my feet were saying "Hey, your only 5"2 you should not be putting so much weight on me." So I started this site and wow I could not believe how much I could actually eat. Not starving myself, just making better choices, and holding myself accountable for what I am putting in my mouth. Here I am not quite 3 months later and I am 26 pounds lighter and my size 26 are way tooo big and 24's are starting to hang on me. Only problem is getting 22's over my butt, because my waist is in a size 22 but my butt is still in a 24:laugh: :laugh:
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    To get to a healthy BMI I need to lose more than half of my highest weight. I am starting off with smaller goals right now, but ideally would like to get 150ish.

About me -

I have 2 little girls, and want to change my lifestyle for them as much as for myself (if I lose the weight in the next few years, my girls wont even remember me being this big!)

I have been at it since the beginning of the year (fell off for a little while, but manged to still lose a bit, so the lifestyle change is slowing creeping in to be the norm!) and have lost 25 pounds.

One of the things that made me realize I needed to make a change was looking at old pictures of myself. I thought I was so fat back then, but I was 70 pounds lighter! That was a sad realization for me. I got to the point where I just gave up on myself, and kept packing on the weight.

I am going to take my life back, I am going to fit into a size 12-16, I am going to have the energy to play with my children, and I am going to feel sexy again!!
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Hi all how are you? I was just checking in to say hi. Are we going to weigh in or do challenges? Just curious. I see some people challenging each other to exercise or a certain weight loss by the 4th of July. let me know. Having a goal in common with someone else seems to help. :smile:
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    How often do you all weigh yourself? Maybe we could have a weekly weigh in? I would love to do some exercise challenges.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i'd like to be in

i am 5'8" and started at a weight of 271 lbs

now i am at 252

my goal at the moment is to be at 170...then i'll see ...bc frankly....i've been over 170 since middle school and i forgot what i'd look like smaller than 200

so anyway
    i've read your comments and i believe i fit right in here

i want to be a whole new person...i feel like i abandoned my true self a long time ago bc of my physical shame about myself

and that breaks my heart
    bc i know i am just a shadow of who i could be
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Well, here is a little bit about me--

I am 19 (soon to be 20), and I have been overweight since elementary school. Somehow even though I was young, I figured out that eating chocolate made me feel better when I was sad, and the rest is history. lol. It's been hard because of all the teasing I went through in school, which made me turn to food even more. One night I was watching the biggest loser (this season, season 7), and something finally clicked inside of me. The weight wasn't going to magically disappear like I'd so often dreamed of. I joined this site that night!

My goal weight is set for 150 lbs, but it's hard for me to imagine what I will look like before even getting out of the 200s!!

I also was thinking about this group the other day, about the different things we have to go through that those who are smaller don't, and the main thing that came to mind is the THIGHS RUBBING TOGETHER! lol. that is one of my main goals, along with being able to wear jeans that fit everywhere without any muffin top, and arms that don't try to fly away when you wave :laugh:
  • Momma2four
    Options
    Well, here is a little bit about me--

I am 19 (soon to be 20), and I have been overweight since elementary school. Somehow even though I was young, I figured out that eating chocolate made me feel better when I was sad, and the rest is history. lol. It's been hard because of all the teasing I went through in school, which made me turn to food even more. One night I was watching the biggest loser (this season, season 7), and something finally clicked inside of me. The weight wasn't going to magically disappear like I'd so often dreamed of. I joined this site that night!

My goal weight is set for 150 lbs, but it's hard for me to imagine what I will look like before even getting out of the 200s!!

I also was thinking about this group the other day, about the different things we have to go through that those who are smaller don't, and the main thing that came to mind is the THIGHS RUBBING TOGETHER! lol. that is one of my main goals, along with being able to wear jeans that fit everywhere without any muffin top, and arms that don't try to fly away when you wave :laugh:

OOOh the thighs that hurts:laugh: I resemble that remark:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    Hey, I would like to join, if I may!!! I agree with everyone...we do lead different lives and different goals. But, we can use this to our advantage!!!!! It seems to me that those losing a huge amount of weight have a lower percentage of gaining it back. :smile: Because we do the "lifestyle" change instead of the "Miracle Hollywood Diet" to lose 10 lbs in 3 hours! :laugh:

I like the question...What is different this time? This time, it's all about me. I was in an emotionally abusive relationship where I was told if I lost weight we'd get married, or if a looked like a certain gal in a picture that we'd get married. :noway: I am now with someone who loves me for me and supports me with everything that I do. I want to have kids and know that I couldn't handle it if something were to happen to me or a baby because I'm so heavy!

My goal is 150, I currently weigh 255. I am down 15 lbs since December, but none since I started here, as I haven't weighed in yet. I look forward to hearing from everyone and to be there to support everyone, good day or bad! :bigsmile:
  • pinksultana
    Options
    Hey Guys i think it is a great idea to have weekly goals and weigh ins. We all struggle with different things im sure, so Im trying to think of a goal that may suit us all - but my brain is pickled at the moment and I cant think.
    Lets weigh in every friday and i will put all the info onto a spreadsheet so we can chart our progress (yes i have a geeky husband who will help me with this haha) - so weigh in on friday and I will chart progress on saturdays.
    I think we should have a non-weigh in challenge per week to start on fridays too and when we weigh in we can all inform each other of our successes.

CHALLENGE # 1 - week starting friday 22nd May 2009
    Notice something different each day that has improved due to your new weightloss / healthy eating / excercise routine and let us know your 7 next friday with your weigh in. (i figure we should build up to hard core excercise challenges after building ourselves up with some encouragment first :tongue: )

If anyone has any ideas for challenges in coming weeks that you really want to do please pm me and I will use them in the coming weeks.