"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    No. I don't feel that way. This morning I logged my 25 minutes on the eliptical. And it works for me. In fact it should be fine to do 3 sets of 10 mins... And if you haven't exercised in years, thats a good way to build up your endurance again. So oneday you can work yourself up to a full 30 minutes. Whether its 15 mins in the morning & 15 minutes at night. Its still 30 minutes. And If I feel like doing just 20 or 25 minutes, thats what I do. Maybe your friend is really really athletic and their endurance is so high that it just doesn't seem like a workout to them unless they do more than 30 minutes.
  • midnightryder
    Options
    All I can say is that why do people on this site look into other peoples' food and exercise diaries? What is the point of that.It seems kind of nosy to me. Anybody that does this snooping has no right to be pissed about what they find. It has little to no bearing on the person doing the snooping. I don't think that if I eat over or under my calories each day it is going to hurt anyone but ME nor is it hurting anyone but ME if I log 2 min. of exercise or 200. Did that person get their heart rate up for me, sweat for me, did their hurt help pump my blood? I think not. So in summary, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Don't agree with that because some people may only be able to do 15 mins at a time, due to being so out of shape, working long hours, being in school.. The only thing I frown at is when people log cleaning house, preparing meals, and things like that.. I don't look at that as exercise, but that is just my opinion. I would NEVER tell someone else they shouldn't.

I have to admit I have logged housework in the past as a major cleaning session is a good burn for you and your house lol, that said and done I tend to only add these basics if I do a considerable amount more than I would normally do.

On the subject of not logging any exercise below 30 mins is a very unfair way of looking at things, I totally agree wih the majority that people can join this from a very sedentary lifestyle and may not be able to manage 30 mins of exercise then yes they should log it, it will keep them focused and every little change for the better with fitness and dietary will be benefical.
  • dol826
    dol826 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Absolutely log it. when I only have less than 30 min to get some exercise in, I do a high intensity one that involves calisthenics at a very good effort and running. I am certain it helps my fitness level, and is definitely worth more than simply ignoring it.
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    If you go to tools and find out your BMR (mines is 1,703) ok if i stayed in the bed and slept all day i would burn close to that number. Now if i workout for 30 minutes i will burn even more calories in that 30 minute time, so yes log what you burn in your workout no matter how much time you do each section.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    That's not my way of doing this. I played basketball for 20 minutes today, you bet your *kitten* I logged it. I do 30 Days Shred, which is only 24 minutes, and I log that too. If I go for a 20 minute walk around the park in my town, I log that.

The only thing I dont log is all the walking I do on campus on days I have classes. Which is easily 20 minutes worth of walking.
  • Leslie0423
    Options
    Log what you want, that's the point of having your own log. If I burn calories, I want to see it! That's like the person that complained once on a thread about people that only walk on treadmills...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Ha! I guess my 28 minute, 2.5 mile run this morning isn't worth logging. Even though my HRM says I burned 335 calories, it was under 30 minutes, so not worth logging. :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Whoever said under 30 minute workouts aren't worth logging isn't working hard enough, and/or is missing out on some good calories earned!
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't log any snack less than 300 kcals it all works out in the end....

lol! great counter!!
  • debbond58
    debbond58 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Amen
  • boneyEm
    boneyEm Posts: 34
    Options
    does that mean that 300X6.6 equals nothing- oh well in that case i may as well give up now
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't log it if its less than 30 minutes. But that's just me. I prefer 45 to 80 minutes cardio

For some people, walking for 20 minutes is a great start to exercising.

Or running 1 mile (and maybe it takes them 12 minutes even) is a really great start for them.

So I think it just depends on the person, and if that's what they can do, then they should log it and be proud.
  • sarahkraus1982
    sarahkraus1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The 30DS is only a twenty minute work out and it is something I log for sure!!!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    um.... 30DS is only 20 minutes.... sorry! I log it in and yes, it counts!!!!
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I call BS. It's her turn to drink. Ha!
  • boneyEm
    boneyEm Posts: 34
    Options
    you wouldnt tell the shop keeper to forget the 300 dollers you spent on shoes and just walk out would you
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    does this person also subscribe to not logging any meal under 300 calories or so?
  • debbond58
    debbond58 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but I am PROUD of every little bit of exercise I get in. I burn more calories than a lot of other people do in 30 mins. That's the advantage of being fat and old.I use my HRM to track my cals because I usually burn more than the machines say and less than what is posted here.everybody is different and a month ago I wasn't getting off the couch. I say count it even if it's only 10 mins more than you used to do!!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Your friend sounds like a dingdong.

Clearly they're not working out hard enough if they can't burn a significant amount of calories in under 30 minutes.
  • cyndy1214
    cyndy1214 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No way. One minute of exercise is better than no exercise at all. Do what you can when you can.