"If it's less than 30 minutes, don't log it."

Options

Replies

• RebeccaNull
    Options
    I do log the cleaning that I do. My husband and I pick up after ourselves as our day goes along. I don't log that cleaning but when I do my dishes and run my vacuum and wash windows and such I do log it because it is not part of my normal daily routine. I don't have to do dishes much because my husband works at a diner and he cooks our food there, it's just so much easier than trying to eat when he gets home. Our breakfast dishes are cleaned every morning but I don't log that either.

I also do my friends dishes and such when my husband and I eat at their house. That is something I do once a week and I burn calories when I do it because I start to sweat.

My job is very active so I have set my rate at a slightly lower than what it is. I log everything I do other than like moving around my house and such because I want to make sure that I am eating enough to sustain my body. I know what my BMR and AMR is and I adapt to it and how much I am active through the day.

When you log everything you eat and factor in what rate you set whether active or sedentary or somewhere in the middle, you know what to log for exercise and what not to log.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just logged a 1.2 mile hike with my dog. 25 minutes and about 95 calories. This thread made me log it!
  • kaeelle
    kaeelle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It definitely counts! I've read published articles on this topic. Ten minutes here, 15 minutes there...it all adds up!

My sentiments exactly... It's easier to start out in 15 minutes bursts to get back in the swing of exercising than 30+ minute chunks!! Not all of us have that kinda time.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If I didn't log things under 30 minutes, I'd barely ever log! :tongue:

When I walk to/from work I do about 50 minutes each way, but my walking and cycling rarely take longer than 20 minutes, tops. On Saturday mornings, I run for 4 minutes.
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    I walk my dogs 10 - 15 minutes, twice a day. I have personally chosen not to log this for a few reasons - 1) I've been doing that all along, so it's not really an extra effort towards my weight loss goals 2) they are little dogs and they stop to sniff every 5 feet, making it a rather unproductive walk in terms of calorie burn or even resistance training (you big dog owners know what I mean there LOL) and 3) Since logging isn't always exact unless I whip out a food scale (and I sure can't be bothered to) I figure those calories I ignored burning will counter any I may have mis-logged.

Now, that being said, I don't think it's wrong at all to log the small things. At all. I just have chosen not to. This is a personal journey. You're putting in the effort, you're calling the shots. Us mere strangers in cyber-land can offer advice and support, but not boss you around. In terms of your own journey, you're the only one whose opinion matters.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    30 minutes is all I can fit in on a workday which is 5 days a week. I log every minute of that and eat back the majority of my exercise cals and I am perfectly fine with that. Wonder where she heard this nonsense? Keep up the great work :)
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log 10 minutes of walking. But 10 minutes of moderate or high intensity cardio should be logged.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    A work out is a work out even if it is a quicky because some thing is always better than nothing and if some one doesnt like you logging it then...images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzpnWUGN1sJv_IidKUUG5NdDHwSti61sVnu6u7t48_JAWYjRL0:bigsmile::bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • melbellkid
    Options
    You better believe I am about to log my 20 minutes of Insanity that I just did...didn't have time for the whole 40...but Im a hot mess all the same-lol
  • flutestmelody
    flutestmelody Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    WOW, my answer would be YES log it. When I first started my weight loss journey I was so heavy that it made my asthma very severe. In the beginning I was only physically able to get a few minutes in at a time, heck walking to the mail box made me breathe heavy. Now, after losing almost 70 lbs I can work out longer and harder and my asthma is not nearly the problem it use to be. Everyone needs to work/eat at their level. What works for one won't necessary work for all. In the beginning I was very happy to get through 10 minutes with out an asthma attack. Now if I don't get at least an hour each day I don't feel like I have really gotten a work out.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that why do people on this site look into other peoples' food and exercise diaries? What is the point of that.It seems kind of nosy to me. Anybody that does this snooping has no right to be pissed about what they find. It has little to no bearing on the person doing the snooping. I don't think that if I eat over or under my calories each day it is going to hurt anyone but ME nor is it hurting anyone but ME if I log 2 min. of exercise or 200. Did that person get their heart rate up for me, sweat for me, did their hurt help pump my blood? I think not. So in summary, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!

AMEN TO THAT!!!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Ha! I guess my 28 minute, 2.5 mile run this morning isn't worth logging. Even though my HRM says I burned 335 calories, it was under 30 minutes, so not worth logging. :noway:

Frig! I worked out for 29 minutes! I wish someone had told me this sooner.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Pffffffffft! I walk to and from work every day - 20 minutes total, but it's still calories I'm burning, so of course I'm counting it. Does she also believe that you shouldn't count that one chocolate bar, because it's less than 3?
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30DS is less than 30min and you bet your *kitten* I log it when I do it
  • LApurple
    LApurple Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    300 calories burned is pretty significant. Don't listen to negativity! Keep up the good work!
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That's one of the stupidest things I've heard on here yet, lol. If they went out and ran 4 miles at 6 minutes a mile, they'd only be going for 24 minutes...but then they wouldn't log it as exercise? Pfffft. I call bulls*** on them!

Unfriend them. Help keep your blood pressure nice and low!
  • jenmarie2012
    jenmarie2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I believe if you lost the calories then log it b/c it only helps with your daily calorie intake. You bet i'm going to log cleaning b/c when i'm cleaning its usually heaving duty cleaning i'm doing and if i feel exhausted after that means i burned some calories!! :tongue:
  • billthekill
    Options
    When I'm felling down, I just add exercise that I didn't even do. It's a great way to make me feel better about myself.

I am not about to let a MFP Nazi tell me what I can and can't log.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Just for poops and giggles, let me tell you how I wasted an entire hour on useless exercise...

I did 30 minutes on the elliptical doing HIIT. I only burned 293 calories, so it doesn't count.

I did a 15 minute kettlebell workout that was intense enough to make me sweat beads by 10 minutes in. I burned 124 calories, so it doesn't count (it was only 15 minutes anyway...)

I jumped on my stationary bike for 15 minutes and knocked out 4.5 miles and burned 140 calories. But it doesn't count.

LE SIGH. I guess no exercise counts for me since I can't get to that 10 calories a minute--despite my HR jumping around from 153 to 175 BPM during HIIT.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I do get a little annoyed by people who only log things like cleaning... daily. But I just shake my head and keep moving. To each their own.

I once saw someone log driving once. She was going long distance and logged burning tons of calories driving. Maybe in Fred Flintstone's car, but not in mine!

Hey now wait a minute ...I burned over 1,000 calories on Sunday cleaning my butt off! Packin my "REALLY" fat cloths and sweating more than when I walk so don't kid yourself...you burn some serious calories doing"Light housework" too!

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

That's right. Come clean my garage out said the spider to the fly.