Replies

• suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • wolf5090
    wolf5090 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That was a great read! thanks for sharing :)
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I loved it! Thanks so much for sharing :)
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. Now for some honesty. I'm fat, and I've been fat for a long time. I used to be much fatter. Then, and now, when I see someone who is very overweight, my first reaction is "There is something fundamentally wrong with that person." I don't think I was necessarily judging their character, or the quality of person they might be, but my gut reaction is always the same - SOMETHING is wrong.

I was never under the illusion that I wasn't one of the same people I was judging. Definitely some self loathing there, but my above average self esteem helped keep me afloat. (Thanks mom and dad!)

The more honest I was with myself about how I reacted when I saw people who looked JUST LIKE ME, the easier it became for me to realize that being obese isn't just bad for your health. If I was fat and I was thinking these things, I became horrified to think about what fit or skinny people thought about when they saw me. Socially, professionally and emotionally I was being held back for what I looked like.

What others think when they see me isn't my main motivation for losing weight, but it is a real and significant part of it. I guess I don't have a nice end cap to this, but I felt compelled to share since I know first hand it's not just skinny folks who look upon fat people and think negative things. Thanks for posting this article :)
  • tcmay72
    tcmay72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for the post:0)
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Last line made me cry a little on the inside. Stupid hormones. Good article, though!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Very well said. It is a shame how we treat each other.
  • Carrie_loves_cheese
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, so true. So frighteningly true.
  • SunnyB09
    SunnyB09 Posts: 20
    Options
    bump
  • LauraAshley95
    LauraAshley95 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love this, and this is how I hope to be when I reach my goal weight. I never want to look down on or mock anyone overweight, because I've been overweight all of my life. I really don't want to change just because I lost weight. Not only would it be hypocritical, it's just wrong. Props to this woman.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Very good. It all rings true. And how can you help but feel angry over it all- but the anger is pointless-because even fat people look down on fat people (most of the time.) Both my grandmas were pretty fat, I wonder if people looked down on them..way back in 1930 or something.
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I love this article, it is amazing. I have never been that overweight, but I have seen people behave that way and it shocks me,somebody shouldn't be ridiculed simply because off their weight, it is absolutely ridiculous. It shouldn't matter how skinny a person is.
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    This really hit home
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i dont want to be treated differently because of my weight but it is a reality for those of us suffering with being overweight.
    it's hard to think that some of my closest friends, who say "i look great the way i am" are secretly thinking that i look horrible and should lose weight. :(

I SO identify with this... I have always gotten "but you have such a pretty face.." from family and strangers alike. Close friends are more complimentary - but since losing a bit of weight that has increased a great deal - making me wonder what they really thought before.
    Having doors opened and getting second looks from men is a bizarre experience - I love it and yet I have the anger too.

I want to lose the remaining 100 lbs.. but it is scary in some ways too. How much will people's perception of me change even more? I hope I still know me then!
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    She lost the weight for the wrong reasons. It wasn't for her health, but for the vanity. I'm sorry, but I don't really like the article. And dating a man who is obviously just with her for the looks? Bad thinking on her part. However, keeping the weight off is good.
  • beccacoug
    beccacoug Posts: 24
    Options
    Well written. I hope I always stay fat on the inside too! I grew up skinny and oblivious to the norm of being confident. About the same time you made a change to become healthy and reep my benefits, I became sedintary and blew up. I've seen both sides now and you are spot on! Congrats to you!
  • JimandLin
    JimandLin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    Great Read. Thanks for Sharing!
  • Jet1962
    Jet1962 Posts: 1
    Options
    I too have experienced that. In high school I weighed 187 lbs. Lost and went down to 125. People who would never talk to me all of a sudden wanted to date me. It is interesting how people treat and react to you. Now I am up over 200, being sick and have two kids along the way. I am currently on working my way back down to get healthy. Good luck to you.
    Do you remember, I think it was Tyra Banks who dressed in a fat suit to see how she was treated. Same story. Amazing.
  • desiree516
    desiree516 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks for posting !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!