"Lost 100lbs & found out what the world thinks of fat ppl"

Options

Replies

• AydensMom528
    Options
    I was wondering when someone was going to say this because I was thinking the same thing and beginning to think maybe I was missing something???? I don't like this article at all and honestly don't find a lot of truth to it. Maybe it has to do with where I live. I've been skinny, I've been fat, never did I see these differences. IDK seems weird to me. Maybe I just don't hang with the same people she does, I really don't know. But, my initial thought was, "wow I would never be with a man who said that he wouldn't be with me for how I looked" That's not the kind of man I want. I'm so lucky and thankful to have a man who loves me for me, whether I'm skinny, fat, whatever. I'm sad other people don't have that.
    She lost the weight for the wrong reasons. It wasn't for her health, but for the vanity. I'm sorry, but I don't really like the article. And dating a man who is obviously just with her for the looks? Bad thinking on her part. However, keeping the weight off is good.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is so incredibly true. I look like an entirely different person - it happened quick and my brain has not caught up to my body but there is an absolute difference in the way I am treated in public.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    This is a sad and very very real story to all women fat or not, people dont like different. I got flagged at the airport just because i have red and purple hair. If you look at the girls in the magazine you will notice all of them look almost exactly the same, the same eyes the same nose, ect. Its drilled into alot of peoples minds that different is bad. Also that fat is bad. It is bad in a way (all the health problems) but it shouldent give anyone the excuse to treat people differently. I do catch myself thinking o wow she/ hes so much more attractive. but i wouldent ever treat anyone different.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    Yeah i do find it weird that her man would leave her for being bigger... what will happen if she gets pregnant?? ive been 200 and my husband still looked at me like i was the most gorgeous thing ever.
    I was wondering when someone was going to say this because I was thinking the same thing and beginning to think maybe I was missing something???? I don't like this article at all and honestly don't find a lot of truth to it. Maybe it has to do with where I live. I've been skinny, I've been fat, never did I see these differences. IDK seems weird to me. Maybe I just don't hang with the same people she does, I really don't know. But, my initial thought was, "wow I would never be with a man who said that he wouldn't be with me for how I looked" That's not the kind of man I want. I'm so lucky and thankful to have a man who loves me for me, whether I'm skinny, fat, whatever. I'm sad other people don't have that.
    She lost the weight for the wrong reasons. It wasn't for her health, but for the vanity. I'm sorry, but I don't really like the article. And dating a man who is obviously just with her for the looks? Bad thinking on her part. However, keeping the weight off is good.
  • SaraRT1983
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article!!!!!
  • lfm1968
    lfm1968 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Marking to read later - thanks for posting.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    'My father said ..see anybody can do what they want to. Losing weight and the decision to dig in,for me at least is about so much more than 'wanting' to.I have always 'wanted' to do the things good for me but it took the planets aligning just right to give me the gumption to do it. I loved this article,I have noticed some of the same behaviors and it sure is galling..but what are you gonna do. At this age I find that things have a way of evening out......
  • BecsWeeble
    Options
    What a fantastic article, I've seen many people lose a lot of weight and their attitudes have changed instantly to those who look and feel exactly like they once did. I always made a pledge to myself that if I was to lose a lot of weight I would always keep in mind that the person who started out was my best friend, I would appreciate my improvements within joining others in mocking my previous weight and lack of self-esteem.

I also had a friend growing up who would never go out with guy if he didn't treat me nicely, she was slim and would only see the good side of these guys, it's strange how introducing a bigger friend can bring out the worst in people !
  • tdspears
    tdspears Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!
  • dtulloch8604
    Options
    Interesting, This is all too familiar. I live with this treatment everyday. I cannot wait to loose weight.
  • Karlalaland45
    Karlalaland45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I agree with you about how she shouldn't be dating a guy who would leave her if she got fat. However, I don't think there is anything wrong about losing weight to feel better about your body. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Losing weight helps both!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    is anyone else NOT inspired by this?! my heart is breaking for all women in society!! not to sound like a flaming feminist, but are we just OBJECTS? existing only to be beautiful things for men to adore and want to ****?! i freaking HATE this. when i wear sweatpants and no makeup i am invisible, but when i look extra beautiful (makeup/tight clothes/sundress) suddenly its like i am queen on the universe and everyone stares and awkwardly stammers and says `im sorry` if they accidentally walk too close to me.

no. i hate this. and i hate this even more because of how true it is.

i treat everyone the same. i will hold open the door for an overweight person in a wheelchair just as quickly as i would hold open the door for ms. america. i would (AND DO) strike up a conversation with anyone, regardless of what they look like just the same. i dont say mean things about fat people even to the secretly on side at my friends, i cringe when my friends do it and i call them out on it. i dont hate fat people, bash them, think theyre lazy/disgusting/hideous because I DONT KNOW THEIR STRUGGLE so i cant judge them. society sickens me and i hate that you have to look good to be treated like a person what is WRONG with this picture?! wake UP.:explode:
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ZombieSidwell
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this article. While I have heard rude remarks myself about my weight usually the thing that bothers me the most is when they assume you can't do certain things because of the weight. There are times when something physical comes up and the thinnner people are asked to help out, but leave me out because they thought I wouldn't be capable of doing the activity. I feel that I should be given the opportunity to decide for myself if I am capable of participating or not.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I lost about 85 pounds, and I remember when I was near my heaviest, smoking outside of a bookstore (I no longer smoke, by the way), and some kids yelling from across the parking lot about how pregnant women shouldn't smoke and how I was trash. I can also relate to the thing you said about your boyfriend--my husband is dumbfounded by how I used to look, and though I believe he would've loved me, it is doubtful he would have ever given me a chance in the first place. This really hit home for me. Thank you.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I can attest to people saying "you look great now, i mean....' I understand why. It's stupid to believe that being out of shape or fat is attractive in comparison to being healthy. I know that's a point that many people will try to say is wrong to believe, and some of you may be 100% honest, but your numbers are in minority. The majority, and I mean high majority, believe that a person is more attractive when they are fit. I know most people on here would agree, that is why we are trying to lose the weight. We can say it is to be healthy, but in all honesty we also want to fit in to the image of whats attractive. you can deny it all you want, and once again you may be 100% honest, but there very few of you.

the reason why it is ok to pick on the fat people, is the same reason it's ok to pick on smelly people, people who trip, people who run in to doors and people that make mistakes. These are all decisions, not genetics and something that a person is responsible. It's wrong to pick on people for their color, gender, being gay and things of that nature, because those are not things that we choose. I honestly wouldn't pick on someone for being fat, but I wish someone was a bit more open and honest about my weight while I was fat, instead of telling me this now that I've lost a lot of weight.

I'm happy that I've lost the weight and gotten healthy and plan to continue on that path. I'm also happy to know what it is like to be fat, it's an added bit of knowledge that most people might not know. We get to see the world in a different light. knowing both ends of the spectrum. We know the pain and struggle of being fat. We know how hard it is to get started and to stay focused. We know that it takes time and a continued effort to lose the weight and to keep it off. We also know that it is our faults and our choices that have caused the problem. I know that it is something that should be brought to my attention, just like drinking, smoking and anything else that is hazardous to our lives. I've learned that we shouldn't sugarcoat or enable this problem and try and say it's ok to be overweight. We shouldn't ridicule and beat down people for this decision, but we should help and support them.

My added opinion, probably not an appreciated one, but an honest one.
  • happypath101
    Options
    is anyone else NOT inspired by this?! my heart is breaking for all women in society!! not to sound like a flaming feminist, but are we just OBJECTS? existing only to be beautiful things for men to adore and want to ****?! i freaking HATE this. when i wear sweatpants and no makeup i am invisible, but when i look extra beautiful (makeup/tight clothes/sundress) suddenly its like i am queen on the universe and everyone stares and awkwardly stammers and says `im sorry` if they accidentally walk too close to me.

no. i hate this. and i hate this even more because of how true it is.

i treat everyone the same. i will hold open the door for an overweight person in a wheelchair just as quickly as i would hold open the door for ms. america. i would (AND DO) strike up a conversation with anyone, regardless of what they look like just the same. i dont say mean things about fat people even to the secretly on side at my friends, i cringe when my friends do it and i call them out on it. i dont hate fat people, bash them, think theyre lazy/disgusting/hideous because I DONT KNOW THEIR STRUGGLE so i cant judge them. society sickens me and i hate that you have to look good to be treated like a person what is WRONG with this picture?! wake UP.:explode:

Well said!!!!
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options

No, I don't think you were missing anything. It's just people, I'm assuming, automatically see the good since she lost so much and is keeping it off. My boyfriend met me when I was skinnier and has been with me since. He's not once said he would leave me if I gained even more. He loves me for me. I'm back down to what I was, but I see your point. I'm all for mind over body. That's why a person should be with another. Where I grew up, it was similar. Of course, in school, there were those who were immature enough to start with the name calling, but most people do grow out of it. Plus, when you're in a farm community, there's going to be the extremes of the spectrum.

Yeah i do find it weird that her man would leave her for being bigger... what will happen if she gets pregnant?? ive been 200 and my husband still looked at me like i was the most gorgeous thing ever.

In all honestly, I'm hoping it wasn't exactly what's meant. I have, however, heard horror stories where men and lesbian women would leave their SOs due to pregnancy. Here's hoping it's a different scenario entirely.
    I agree with you about how she shouldn't be dating a guy who would leave her if she got fat. However, I don't think there is anything wrong about losing weight to feel better about your body. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Losing weight helps both!

I see your point too. It just doesn't seem like she lost it for the right reasons. Yes, I admit that it does ease your mind, but what if she was healthy before? Size isn't just from fat. It could be from muscle, genetics, diet, etc. Maybe she had muscle. At 5'11, she could have been built. It doesn't seem many people take this into consideration. I'm at 195, 5'6", myself and know I'm overweight, but a lot is muscle.
  • happinessforevercm
    Options
    bump for later, I am at work and cannot read it now! :)
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Wonderful read! Thanks for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!