"Lost 100lbs & found out what the world thinks of fat ppl"

Options

Replies

• Georganna1962
    Options
    Thank you for your story. I am sorry that people did not see your inner beauty before you lost weight. I am happy they are now treating you the way that you should have been treated all along. God created only one you. You are unique and valued. You are God's masterpiece - whether you weigh 100 pounds and 400 pounds. It never ceases to amaze me that people can be drug addics and alcoholics and the world just seems to accept this even after multiple times of them failing and going back to the drugs/alcohol - prime example Charlie Sheen - but someone who has a problem with food (might I point out a substance we cannot live without) is treated in unacceptable ways. Wake up people! Is our society really that shallow? Beauty comes from within the person and radiates outward.
  • kimber53171
    Options
    You cannot know how true this is. I have recently lost 126lbs (still have 44 ish to go) and even now it's amazing the difference I see in the way I'm treated. From people chatting and being friendly at sporting events for my kid to men holding the door open, it shocks me more often than not and sometimes I can't believe how NICE people are being until I realize how NICE they WEREN"T before. I haven't gotten to the point of seeing someone who is large and feeling that towards them yet--still too new to me, but I have seen them and think, "if you could only know how worth it, it is to lose the weight".
  • changeofideas
    Options
    One of the worst types of prejudice nowadays is the one against fat people, exactly because it's approved by society. Turnstiles, bus seats, plane corridors, etc, everything is made to remind you that you're overweight and that if you don't change that reality you simply won't fit in, and won't make use of things because they weren't designed for you. It's a constant reminder that you need to lose weight no matter what, as if the television and magazines didn't show you enough of that already.
    I've never been "obese" (even that word has a huge "weight" on it. It's one of the heaviest words I know!), but I've seen how much suffering my father has been through because of his obesity. People would look at him with curiosity as he entered an elevator, and grimace if they had to sit by his side on a plane or bus.

It really creates a stigma, and it's hard to get rid of it when you reach your goal and realize you're suddenly surrounded by people who did not want your company before you became "normal" (to their own disfigured paradigms, at least).

The text states the absolute truth. Thank you very much for showing us that perspective.

wait what? because the world is only so big, and buses can only be as wide as the street they'll drive on, and rollercoasters can only have so much space and weight.. it's discriminating against fat people? then i think that because ceilings are only so high, they're discriminating against tall people. and because my kitchen cabinets were built this way... it's rude to me because i'm short. nooo... the world is built for what is "average." being 700 lbs isn't average because it isn't healthy. being 4 ft tall isn't average because it's not too common. the world is what it is. you can be fat and rude just as you can be skinny and rude. and if a guy doesn't hold the door for me, i don't assume it's because i'm unattractive, i assume it's because he's a *kitten* who was raised poorly. that's just my opinion
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Wow....that was SO well-written and exactly what a lot of us have gone through. Thanks so much for sharing that!!! :flowerforyou:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    AN absolute blessing from GOD to read this today. God bless you , my dear, as you have endured, not many women would with the hurdles of hatred thrown at them like that. NannaB.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump also to read again and again when I feel down.
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's sad to think that fat-shaming is still one of the only socially acceptable forms of "abuse" left. As odd as it sounds, I'm thankful every day that I was overweight for 16 years+. Yes, I want to get healthy, but being "fat" taught me a sense of compassion and empathy for people I never would have been enlightened to without having experienced first-hand the inequality in treatment. Great story, thank you for sharing!

I know exactly how you feel. I'm in the process of losing weight, for various reasons, and I really do thank GOD that I spent the first 25 years of my life overweight, because it has taught me so much about myself and the stigma attached to ANYONE who isn't "normal"-whatever that means. Some things you just can't understand unless you've experienced them.
  • djtessatessa
    djtessatessa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's sad to think that fat-shaming is still one of the only socially acceptable forms of "abuse" left. As odd as it sounds, I'm thankful every day that I was overweight for 16 years+. Yes, I want to get healthy, but being "fat" taught me a sense of compassion and empathy for people I never would have been enlightened to without having experienced first-hand the inequality in treatment. Great story, thank you for sharing!

You can be compassionate and empathetic without ever being over weight. thats a pretty unfair statement.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Love it! But I can honestly say that the discrimination can sometimes go the other way, as well...

A week ago I was walking with a good friend, one of my work-out buddies and 2 young, fit, beautiful blonde women ran past us. They got about 5 houses ahead of where we were and turned into the driveway, apparently having finished up and returned home. My friend sort of shook his head and said, 'Don't you almost want to hate people like that?' When I asked, 'People like what?', he said, 'People who have never had a weight problem in their life.' I replied, 'What if they are MFP success stories? What if a year ago one or both of them was overweight and just starting out to lose weight and get in shape? Maybe they worked hard to reach a goal and are continuing to work hard to keep it. I looked like that once upon a time ago & I'm steadily on my way to looking like that again.'

I try not to judge people too harshly one way or the other, but I know I am often judged for being oerweight. I hope one day I am also lucky enough to be judged for being fit & healthy.

:flowerforyou:
  • shannon4health
    Options
    I liked reading this but I guess it is in perspective too...I want to shed 85 pounds and what is amazing to me is that I am a very confident person in who God created me to be:):):):) I am very outgoing, I LOVE people and I make friends anywhere! I am actually a Christian Life Coach and it's been amazing to see lives changed and it has been super humbling for me time and time again b/c I am constantly WORKING on ME but I try to take the focus off of me so that I can help others and serve them! Here lately I have been telling myself that i need to PUT ME first even more so that God can use me to my fullest potential in this life! Since I am overweight, it affects my life in some ways that "irritate" me more than anything. Like I really believe it is a distraction for me sometimes b/c I am too worried about "hiding my gut and butt" so that it is not so noticeable and I think to myself "man, once I shed this weight off I will not have to worry if I am at the right angle for a picture". Those things annoy me but honestly I really do like myself.......the biggest thing here is that I know God created you and me for a purpose to live life to the fullest and to ENJOY IT!! I was raised in an abusive family that abandoned me and I had to work through alot as a teen and young adult but somehow I was blessed with the most amazing husband EVER! His unconditional love shows me that no matter if I have some flab around the middle and my booty is not the smallest, he thinks I am amazing and He treats me like a princess!

All this to say that YOU and ME are sooo HARD on ourselves and honestly ladies.....I don't look at people with prejudgements...If you have tatoos.....AWESOME...You have nose rings....Awesome!! If you wear glasses or have extra around the middle..awesome b/c you are MORE than what outward appearances. You were created for a unique purpose and you ROCK!!! Your heart/personality/smiles/compassion/LOVE that you share with others is what makes YOU, YOU!!!! God reminds me of this often that I am not defined by the scale!!! I share all of this as I go through some emotional heartache of my own for "feeling worthy or good enough" but then I am reminded that I am special no matter what my pants size says;):):) I am on a journey to shed this weight to be the best person, mama and wife I can be to be HEALTHY and teach others how to do the same. To live life Long and to the fullest without the distractions of my gut or butt!! I am losing this weight b/c I don't want to miss out on anything in life. I want to fit on the roller coaster rides better and not feel so squooshed...I want do higher hikes up the mountain and go for back packing nights away, I want to run a half marathon with my husband and friends. I want to PUSH myself beyond what I dreamed or imagined and know that I DID This!!

Honestly I think that while we are losing weight we need to have our right reasons in place and not what others "expect or think of us" When I hit 30 years old, I got the "I don't CARE What others think" attitude more!! For the first 29 years of my life I was living to "PLEASE" everyone else and now that I am 32, I am waking up more and more to see that life is meant for so much more than to be stressed out about things that others think of us!! Like for reals...if people are that miserable in there life then they need to make a change so they choose to be happy! AND as we all lose weight we become much more "happy" and more "confident" b/c we are peeling another layer off of ourselves and stepping out in boldness to take life by the horns and DO IT!! That is a very ATTRACTIVE to people and that is what they are noticing too, not just the physical. My encouragement to all of us is to be our VERY BEST US we can be!!!! Lets not settle for anything less:)
  • jwilson2001
    jwilson2001 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow! Such a great article! Thans for sharing! And, so many great experiences by others!
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    WOW....incredible read...I love the way she writes...she is honest....I mean to the point HONEST and it is sobering to see this point of view.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bumping to read later*
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    One of the worst types of prejudice nowadays is the one against fat people, exactly because it's approved by society. Turnstiles, bus seats, plane corridors, etc, everything is made to remind you that you're overweight and that if you don't change that reality you simply won't fit in, and won't make use of things because they weren't designed for you. It's a constant reminder that you need to lose weight no matter what, as if the television and magazines didn't show you enough of that already.
    I've never been "obese" (even that word has a huge "weight" on it. It's one of the heaviest words I know!), but I've seen how much suffering my father has been through because of his obesity. People would look at him with curiosity as he entered an elevator, and grimace if they had to sit by his side on a plane or bus.

It really creates a stigma, and it's hard to get rid of it when you reach your goal and realize you're suddenly surrounded by people who did not want your company before you became "normal" (to their own disfigured paradigms, at least).

The text states the absolute truth. Thank you very much for showing us that perspective.

wait what? because the world is only so big, and buses can only be as wide as the street they'll drive on, and rollercoasters can only have so much space and weight.. it's discriminating against fat people? then i think that because ceilings are only so high, they're discriminating against tall people. and because my kitchen cabinets were built this way... it's rude to me because i'm short. nooo... the world is built for what is "average." being 700 lbs isn't average because it isn't healthy. being 4 ft tall isn't average because it's not too common. the world is what it is. you can be fat and rude just as you can be skinny and rude. and if a guy doesn't hold the door for me, i don't assume it's because i'm unattractive, i assume it's because he's a *kitten* who was raised poorly. that's just my opinion

I agree - when I was too big to fit into a roller coaster ride, I didn't think "man, they need to make these seats bigger". I thought, "Man, I wish I wasn't so fat". Same thing with airplane seats, turnstiles, etc.
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...it truely is an eye-opener. I have been on both sides of the fence and I try to always remember that and the hurt feelings I had from comments. It is something I needed to read today :)
  • eileen673
    eileen673 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Very well written! Thank you for sharing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!