• Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I need more male friends. LOL.
    I have far too many females.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I have lots of guy friends here on MFP & they're all nice & respectful. I don't reject any friend request & I also have a boyfriend right now (not on MFP though) but he doesn't mind it if I have guy friends & so am I to his female friends. The only thing that would make me angry is if they're starting to act more than just flirting with my guy. I guess its all about having trust to one another but of course that's just me & my guy and there are people who gets jealous easily even if they know that their partners love them so much.

However I do respect those women who doesn't want male friends. It might be out of respect for their partners, they're probably lesbians who aren't comfortable with having male friends or because of bad experiences in the past.
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    Males or females, doesn't bother me or my boyfriend!

I love my friends on here and try to keep most of them in a similar age and weight range to me so we can compare goals, fodd diaries and successes. And I have a good mix of people who are maintaining and doing lots of strength without a focus on weight loss too.

But I don't have many friends who are trying to lose a huge amount of weight. Just personal preference I suppose (and I would feel too jealous of the bigger losses they get!) I would accept the friend request from them but I probably wouldn't send a request.

But in the end isn't it about support? If someone got creepy I'd delete regardless of gender.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't get this, "out of respect for my husband/boyfriend" this is a fitness site not a dating site...

Yes, and being on this site many women post progress pictures in their underwear.
    My husband is extremely relaxed about things, and even if he didn't care there is no way I would post full underwear pictures considering I am friends with other men on here. I personally find it disrespectful to him and doubt he would like it very much.

Edit to say: If I did ever want to post almost naked pictures, I probably would only be friends with women too and my pictures would be blocked to everyone except friends. I have no judgments towards women who show it off (go you!), I just would feel SUPER uncomfortable with anyone else besides him seeing the goods unless those 'other people' were women.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The men on my profile are all good guys. I'm psychic I can spot a perv just by looking at their pic and friends list
  • SweetProgression
    SweetProgression Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If they're married maybe they don't trust themselves or they could be single and shy....
    I rather guys because they're less concerned about competing or sensitivity and more about honesty and fun when it comes to fitness. I have 3 male pals one is a married motivating jokster, the other always says something to root for me and one is nice and new.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So I've seen this many many times, where a girl has it written on her profile that she doesn't accept friend requests from males. I'm just wondering if any of these girls could explain the reasoning behind this?

I've personally only ever had the guys of mpf be super nice and polite, and haven't seen any sort of harassment that's sometimes encountered on other online communities. The guys are here for the same reasons that we're here, right? So is it to avoid harassment?

Is it for the same reasons that some girls don't feel comfortable working out in front of guys (a self-conscious sort of thing)? Is it so that you can post before/after pictures with less clothing than you would if guys you don't really know can see them?

I don't know, I'm just trying to understand what the reasoning for this is. Any ideas??

Perhaps they've been harassed on other sites by blokes.

I have males on my buddy list so I have no idea what their reasons may be.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    wow ... i wish i knew of the MFP you guys know .. that site sounds REALLY exciting.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it either but to each their own. I have gotten some rather random messages though...
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't have many male MFP friends but my reasoning was pretty simple... I wanted to be-friend people who were working towards similar things as me and faced similar issues - most of the guys I know seem to lose weight easily which is definitely NOT my experience to start with! I also tended to try and be-friend women who were closer to my age as well... I know I lost weight a lot easier when I was younger so I assume that is also the case for many other late teen/early 20 something's.

Essentially, I wanted to feel that my friends shared MY experience rather than being a guy who loses weight with little effort while eating heaps ect or a teen who can eat nothing but vege's for a few days and lose 5kg! Generalization's I know but hopefully you get the idea...

Having said all that, there is very few things that will make me actually deny a friendship request so my friends list is pretty varied now :D
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to have any friends...animal, vegetable or mineral. Bring them on! I'm new and really like the community.
    As a sodium rich turnip I appreciate this message.
    Don't discriminate the vegetables.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have guy friends, but I wonder if sometimes ladies don't accept requests from guys out of respect for their relationship? If my hubby was uncomfortable with my guy friends they'd be deleted. I'm glad he doesn't mind since they're all pretty awesome. :)

This!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Just like in real life, I just have friends.

I don't identify them by their sex, as long as they can help or support me then I add them.

I don't understand the "out of respect for my husband/partner" responses either, unless you think your husband partner doesn't trust you.

I've been married for 22 years, I think my husband knows already that I love him, and he's happy for me to receive all the support I can get as long as I am happy and it gets me to my goal.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    dont understand this topic, as its only the internet, Im here for my reasons not to harrass people, yea I like a bit of light hearted banter, who doesnt, If any females want to try and have a male friend in there friends list by all means add me I dont bite, I would like to think im quite supportive. :smile:
  • littletinyemma
    Options
    PERSONALLY I THINK THE WHOLE GENDER SPECIFICATION IN FRIENDS IS A LOAD OF BULL. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, BUT TO BE QUITE HONEST SOME OF MY BEST AND CLOSEST FRIENDS ARE GUYS!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I don't really get it to be honest - and regarding the 'out of respect for my partner' stuff - I wouldn't be bothered if my partner was friends with guys, whether in real life on on the internet, just like I wouldn't put up with a gf of mine being upset that I have female friends.

That said - I have only been denied a friend request once on that basis but it was accompanied by a very cool email explaining it. At the end of the day it's the other person's choice who they want to be friends with, thought I do find a general sweep of the entire male population to be strange...
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Personally I am on here to support as many people as I can regardless of their background, age, male or female.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I like to talk about sex and what not, so to me myfitnesspal is like hanging out with my lady friends cause sense I am married I would never talk about such things with other guy's, big disrespect for my husband!

So I do it as a sign of respect to my hunny!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I have some really bad personal messages sent to me. I block them immediately, but hard to have too many guy friends after that. I wont put up with it.

The irony is works both ways, you naughty ladies!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Personally I quite like having male friends.. Simply because they'll give you a direct answer if you're struggling with something whereas women just fluff it up with compliments and "well done for trying"