Women who don't accept male friend requests

Options

Replies

• llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Out of respect for my husband - although he wouldn't mind & also because I really just want female friends.

I agree I have only ever seen respectful and motivated men on here, it is nothing against them... just something I choose to do. Maybe I will change my mind in the future, but for now, women only.

Exactly. I don't think women (or anybody), who set limits on their friends do so for nefarious reasons. I feel less restricted having a "female only" friends group. Perhaps freer to discuss intimate things. Also, while my husband doesn't get jealous, as the quoted poster said, it can be a respect issue.
  • momma924
    momma924 Posts: 26
    Options
    On my profile I say I am married. And if they give me any problems --- they will be blocked or if it's more than that, contact the right authorities. But the real men wouldn't do that sort of thing if they know you are married. :/ Idk... I don't post too much personal stuff just what I eat and exercise :P And I'm not flaunting a bikini pic.... ;-)
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is a simple personal opinion (I said opinion), which means we are all entitled to do, think, and behave based on our own decisions. When it comes about "respect" to the husband or boyfriend, I wonder if respect is just what they want to see or call it when jealousy or lack of confidence is what's going on.

The reason why I say this is, because there are a lot of guys who will cross the line when it comes about how the communicate with female users here, but there's always the option of deleting and blocking the person here. A simple reply of a man in the forum to a woman is the same as to a reply to her status update. Is that disrespectful? Not at all. I would understand if a private message could be considered an issue, but things can be said right from the beginning to avoid issues.

This also makes me wonder, if the idea that a woman can't have an online male friend who might be able to help with weight loss and encouragement can be disrespectful, how is it in real life with either old male friends from before the woman got married, or those who are coworkers, etc.
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    I think it's rediculous and unfair, if someone is rude or sending u messages u don't want, delete them.......so one bad apple spoils the whole bunch? And if spouses are the reason, get over it, there are men everywhere, not all are interested in us in a sexual way.

Thank you. To assume that all of us want to hit on everything that walks is moronic. Yes, there are some men that do that but guess what? There are women who do that too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Lol, guess I'm lucky because I'm the only male on lots of these lists!!!!

I accept all friends...female, male, gay, straight, etc. But believe it when I say if you're not around after 30 days, I delete you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    For a while I didn't have any male friends on here. I never sent a request or never even received one from males so that's why I didn't have male friends for a long time.. Then one day I got a few male friend request and I figured it wasn't a big deal. But I'm sure some women prefer just female friends out of respect of thier SO or probably just want an all female group just because they want to
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    there are men everywhere, not all are interested in us in a sexual way.

Yes, there are gay men on here too.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    To the girls getting unwanted harrassment, check your profile pic, what you say in posts and overall how you present yourself to the community. I'd imagine a lot could be avoided by not having a profile full of scantily clad photos, what kind of attention did you think you were going to get?

This is the essential "she was asking for it" argument. Just because a woman is showing off her success doesn't give someone the right to sexually harass them by sending unwanted dirty messages or pictures.

It is perfectly possible to show off your progress and success without doing so in your underwear. There are a TON of women on here who have ridiculously sexual pictures, and then get pissed people look, and that's absurd. Present yourself as flirty and easy, and you ARE really asking for flirty messages back. Jesus.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I have both male and female friends on MFP, and I have many male friends in "real life," but I never ever get hit on by my MFP guy friends...I think all of my male friends are married or in relationships...or maybe they just think I'm ugly LOL...I think people should not be criticized for "girls only" or "guys only" requests...to each their own :)
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    To the girls getting unwanted harrassment, check your profile pic, what you say in posts and overall how you present yourself to the community. I'd imagine a lot could be avoided by not having a profile full of scantily clad photos, what kind of attention did you think you were going to get?

This is the essential "she was asking for it" argument. Just because a woman is showing off her success doesn't give someone the right to sexually harass them by sending unwanted dirty messages or pictures.

It is perfectly possible to show off your progress and success without doing so in your underwear. There are a TON of women on here who have ridiculously sexual pictures, and then get pissed people look, and that's absurd. Present yourself as flirty and easy, and you ARE really asking for flirty messages back. Jesus.

Agreed! While these sort of pictures definitely don't justify sexual harassment, if you present yourself as easy, don't be pissed when people treat you as such.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Love my male friends, they Rock. If anyone is weird it's easy enough to delete them
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    A lot of ladies have had some less than enjoyable experiences or might just feel odd having male friends b/c of their relationship dynamic or something. I accept male requests, although I've only ever received a few out of my 180+ friends LOL, I have enjoyed the guys that I have friended, they are great support and fun to support back, it's kind of awesome seeing their insane high calorie burns and several of them feel similarly about certain food issues which is nice. I also requested ninerbuff just b/c he's awesome. :-)
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i seem to recall the episode of "how i met your mother" where barney called his girl friends at the gym "investments" haha
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'll take their share of the man friends! :-)
    I'd love more buddies!
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i seem to recall the episode of "how i met your mother" where barney called his girl friends at the gym "investments" haha

Such a good episode. I was mildly horrified, but still.
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't accept male friend requests is something you hit on- the progress pics i've taken have been so helpful to me in seeing my progress but i don't feel comfortable having others guys look at and comment on my body. I'm engaged and i know 1. my fiancee wouldn't be comfortable with it either and 2. he is extremely supportive and always gives me feedback, constructive criticism, and encouragement. Also, men and women are SO different in what they need to train. I read forums and blogs so i do see good advice but i like to talk with women so i can relate.
    If i get a male friend request, which is not frequent, i send a polite message explaining why i won't accept and wish them luck and offer encouragement. I have always gotten nice and respectful messages back so it's not really those men i'm guarding against. Just a little more cautious although anything on the internet is pretty public these days...

This! No offense but my husband is the only male I need to get positive comments and encouragement from. It is a respect thing I have for my marriage and I am happy with "female only" friends.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are both on here. I have males and females on my friends list including my wife and she has male and female friends on her list as well. Same on facebook and twitter. My wife and I trust each other and we know that we are on here for support in our weight loss efforts.

^^^^^This^^^^^ I have a smaller friends list than my wife, but I have less time to support, so try to keep it small. I find that support is support no matter what the gender.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    wow. There's a whole lot of creepers out there........Hide your bikini pics.....If I accept your friend request I am still not showing speedo shots till the second week.........
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I have some really bad personal messages sent to me. I block them immediately, but hard to have too many guy friends after that. I wont put up with it.

You have a bellybutton made for shots....just saying...

Lol! Thank you xD One of my friends said that right before you did! xD

Does this count as one of those "deserving it" Pics? Just wondering since I dont usually see many that are bad xD
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Oh that does make sense lol. I hadn't even thought of that. I'm not in a relationship, so I guess that's why the thought hadn't occured to me.
    i've had various creepy messages from men. and usually when a guy requests, ALL their current friends are women. and i also find that creepy.
    i have quite a few guy friends who are very cool and really nice. and i do have a boyfriend who is also part of the MFP community

edit: and my current pic is as revealing as my pics are so the creepy messages i definitely find as a huge harassment