Beginners Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cindy! I'm glad that you're on here :happy:

Good job on the exercising today btw!

I really enjoyed my walk today. I have been doing a lot of different exercises since I started MFP in may, but think walking is the one that has actually helped me out both physically and mentally. I think I'm going to put walking into my daily routine just bc it helped me clear my mind and I think it could be a great way to reduce stress (like you mentioned). Thanks again :heart:
    Kid- I believe walking is one of the very best exercises. I will always be a walker regardless of any other exercise I might add in. I'm so glad you enjoyed your walk. :heart:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I would love to have a walking challenge. I just joined tonight and i am very excited! Like always when I first go on a diet. He He So i really need a some friends walking with me! I started walking a couple of weeks ago. Walked tonight for 45 min. So what do i do next. :noway:

Welcome, gapeaches!

The next thing that you do is you walk tonight or tomorrow night. :wink: Pretty simple, eh? :laugh: Or you could challenge yourself with the one hundred pushups challenge (www.onehundredpushups.com) or the two hundred squats challenge (www.twohundredsquats.com)--both of which Cindy (as in Cindysunshine) has inspired many of us to do. :flowerforyou: Actually, I haven't started the squats but will do it soon. :embarassed: I'll probably test tomorrow so that I can start my first week of squats with my second week (again) of pushups.

Glad you're joining us! You'll have fun and be motivated with our group!! :bigsmile:

Cheers! :drinker:
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I saw this thread and thought, "Cool. Walking... I'm good at that. Been marching most of my adult life."

Then I saw stratdl's time!!! HOLY $%)*$*&#*!!!

My walk speed avg's 4mph or about 6kph. She's kickin' it at 10kph! I need to up my speed by more than 50% to do what she's doing.

Here I was proud of doing 4.5 miles in 78 minutes...

But I'll keep working on it!
  • stratdl
    Options
    I saw this thread and thought, "Cool. Walking... I'm good at that. Been marching most of my adult life."

Then I saw stratdl's time!!! HOLY $%)*$*&#*!!!

My walk speed avg's 4mph or about 6kph. She's kickin' it at 10kph! I need to up my speed by more than 50% to do what she's doing.

Here I was proud of doing 4.5 miles in 78 minutes...

But I'll keep working on it!

Hey Frank, don't feel bad. :flowerforyou: I'm a crazy bizarre woman who gets a kick out of trying to out-do the runners on the track! :laugh:

I think that your average walk speeds are awesome! I was doing about 4 - 4.5 mph not too long ago--it actually surprises me how quickly my speed is improving. :blushing:

You should be VERY proud of clocking 4.5 miles in 78 minutes. Think of all of those people who don't even walk 1 mile (or do any form of exercise for that matter)! Just remember that you're doing this for YOU. Just try to beat your own personal best--it's a great feeling, I guarantee you!

Cheers to you and keep on truckin'! :drinker:
  • taxgirlie
    taxgirlie Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm losing motivation to exercise.....:ohwell:

Kid....we will not let you do that! I've been in a funk for a week or so too...but we need to find the time to exercise. The end of the week weigh in definitely pays off. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Don't lose hope...hopefully your stress will subside soon! Just look at it this way, by working out, you're relieving tension. If you stop now, you will become too tense and fell icky! We're here for you!!! Let it out and work it out :wink:

Kristy
  • taxgirlie
    Options
    Cindy...just wanted to let you know you inspired me to do the hundred pushups challenge. im also doing the 200 situps. Last night was night one..ouch!!! But one day at a time to reach our goals! Great walking btw! I hope I can squeeze one in tonight if the weather holds out!!! Hope everyone is having a great week! :smokin:
    Tax- that is so great !!!!!!! It does get easier as you gain muscle. Keep an eye on your arms. Those push ups will be adding definition to your arms likety split. Have a great day. Cindy :heart:

I hope so! :bigsmile:
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody,
    Checking in w/ 2.5 mi last night in 43 min, same on for tonight after the sun goes down. It's 110 degrees here in Texas and the heat is just brutal. Already did 30 min of HHIT this morning (inside) before work and looking forward to my walk tonight.

Can anyone recommend a good walking shoe that can double as a cross trainer that isn't ridiculously expensive?

Help is appreciated and thanks,
    Janet:heart:
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Walked for 38 mins so far today. Right now I'm about to go out a do some more walkin :happy:
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just got done with my 15 minute walk at work! I am going to walk again tonight at home after it cools off! :glasses: It's hot here in Florida!!!!

I have a question that will probably make me look really dumb! Hehe! How do you figure your mph? It usually takes me 40 minutes to walk 2.7 miles. I am trying to make sure I am logging my exercise on MFP correctly (ie. walking at slow, brisk or fast pace). But I don't know how to average my mph?? :grumble: :embarassed: Any help would be appreciated!
  • stratdl
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just got done with my 15 minute walk at work! I am going to walk again tonight at home after it cools off! :glasses: It's hot here in Florida!!!!

I have a question that will probably make me look really dumb! Hehe! How do you figure your mph? It usually takes me 40 minutes to walk 2.7 miles. I am trying to make sure I am logging my exercise on MFP correctly (ie. walking at slow, brisk or fast pace). But I don't know how to average my mph?? :grumble: :embarassed: Any help would be appreciated!

Hi cpafford79!

2.7 miles in 40 minutes is 4.05 mph. Way to go!!! :flowerforyou:

This is how I figured it out:

2.7 miles / 40 minutes = 0.0675 miles/min
    (0.0675 miles/minute) * (60 minutes/hour) = 4.05 miles/hour.

Hope this helps!!!

• cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks stratdl! You're super smart! It's been a while since I've had any math classes, and my kids aren't old enough to help me out on these things yet! HAHAHA! :tongue:
  • taxgirlie
    Options
    Walked for 38 mins so far today. Right now I'm about to go out a do some more walkin :happy:

Glad to see you found your pep! Way to go! :drinker:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Thanks! I thought I'd at least start out slow until I got my motivation back. I walked three times today! That's good for not being motivated. 38 mins, 42 mins and 36 mins. I just forced myself to get up and went outside and started walking. :happy:
  • stratdl
    Options
    Thanks! I thought I'd at least start out slow until I got my motivation back. I walked three times today! That's good for not being motivated. 38 mins, 42 mins and 36 mins. I just forced myself to get up and went outside and started walking. :happy:

You are truly awesome, Jenna! Way to go for getting up and doing it even though your motivation wasn't there! Next time I'm in a motivational slump, I'll think about this and I'm sure it'll get me through!!!

• Kidvicious28
    Options
    Thanks Deborah! Just hearing that makes me want to keep going. I ended up joining the "ab challenge" thread and started it tonight. It was started yesterday if anyone is interested! :happy:
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So, here's a walking question...

How do you know how many calories you burn?

When I log my walking time, even though I'm walking ABOUT 4mph I use the available 3-3.5 mph and take credit for those calories burned. I assume I'm burning more than that but have no way of knowing - cause I haven't learned yet.

I'm going to be getting a HRM soon to help me out, but any advice from those in the know?
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    You won't know for sure unless you have a Heart Rate Monitor. It actually helped me out a ton. Most of the websites and exercise machines are way off. I was burning so much more than what MFP and other websites were telling me.

I have a Pro-form Precision XT. Bought it off of Buy.com for 30 bucks. Totally worth it. The polar f6's are supposed to be pretty good too. Look into it, but I'm pretty sure Buy.com has the cheapest ones (just type in heart rate monitor into the search engine once you get to the website)
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi walkers- How was everyones day? Mine was ok- I walked 5 miles and did 137 squats and 80 push ups. I'm tired tonight. I'm gonna hit the hay early - nighty night- Cindy :heart:
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Can I join this challenge? My minimum goal is 3X week for 30 min. I would love to have some place to check in.

Walked tonight for 30 min

235858.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    You most def can! Welcome to our walking thread :smile: