any females with big calves

Options

Replies

• stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    My calves are big. I don't have a measuring tape handy or I'd measure. I'm actually kind of obsessed with them. I check them out every time I'm getting water at the gym or standing around in shorts. My mom noticed they'd grown and I felt really proud!

They're my favorite muscle.
  • Myselvein2012
    Myselvein2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I have been wondering for a while if my calves would get smaller as I lose weight. I was a catcher for over 10 years. Folks always said my knee's would hate me someday. My knee's are fine, but I have pretty big calves. I guess I should be happy about that. But I do miss some cute boots. 17" here.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've always had large, muscular calves. I'm 5'1", wear size 6 shoes, and have 14" calves. I think it's the tiny feet that make them look so big.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Mine are 15 inches. They pretty much stay pretty close to this size no matter my weight. My mom started complimenting me on m y calves when I was little. She has skinny calves and people used to call her "Olive Oyl." :P

I haven't had a random compliment on my calves in a long time. Hmmm....... Outside of my mom. And her sisters. That whole side of the family is all about big calves.

Oh try Puma boots! I have 2 pairs. Once in a blue moon Steve Madden puts the calf measurement on the boot. I have seen that happen.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have always had big calves... even when younger and very inshape and slim.
    Right now they are 18"... it's a bit$h to find boots.
    But they are not out of proportion.. and very shapely even though I am heavier.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    I measured and mine are 12". They're not huge but they've gotten much bigger. I'm 4'9 and wear a size 1.5 shoe in children's.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    My calves are pretty large at 15.5". I've only lost an inch or so as I've lost the weight. My calves are very muscular and defined. You can see the little upside-down heart shape on the back of them. I definitely get compliments, and even my trainer said she envies them. :) I blame genetics plus ballet for years starting at age 5.
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my calves are pretty close to 15" due to muscle. My feet are big (size 11) so any boots that fit my feet generally fit my calves. :laugh: However, I sometimes have problems with skinny jeans being too tight in the calves.

I'm an ex-swimmer, and definitely have swimmer's legs -- lots of muscle on thighs and calves! I don't generally get compliments on them, but my husband sure appreciates my legs...for those of you familiar with videogames, he has always favoured Chun Li, so you will immediately understand why! :happy:

Aww...I wish my legs looked like Chun Li's...:ohwell:
    I just measured my calves. They're 16'' around. I wish I could say it was muscle, but it doesn't feel like it is. :cry:
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy", but most women with big calves simply store a lot of fat on them. 90% of the time, it's not muscle.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy", but most women with big calves simply store a lot of fat on them. 90% of the time, it's not muscle.

With that thought, they do end up getting more muscular if you've been carry excess weight for an extended time, but women do carry fat in their thighs and legs first. If they are solid muscle, you shouldn't have a problem seeing definition in them. :flowerforyou:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Personally, mine have always been pretty solid. There isn't much to spare on them at all. I have seen both types of women. The ones with pretty defined calves at a high weight, and people with big calves that have fat to lose. My sisters calves are the polar opposite of mine. Hers are big without much definition, and they always have been at all weights for her.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My calves are pretty large at 15.5". I've only lost an inch or so as I've lost the weight. My calves are very muscular and defined. You can see the little upside-down heart shape on the back of them. I definitely get compliments, and even my trainer said she envies them. :) I blame genetics plus ballet for years starting at age 5.

you're my calf twin! same exact size, and I also have the upside down heart on my calves. I credit genetics (thanks Dad!) plus 25 years of working out. I get many compliments from women and men.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I have gigantic calves, they are my least favourite part of my body.

They seem to be genetic, in my family they are known as "Trumpour Legs" after my grandfather, who had friggin tree trunks for legs.

Not sexy when you want to wear a little dress or rock some cute boots. But running has improved their look.

I go on record saying: big calves suck!!!!!!!!!
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options

So what's the best way to lose the fat there???
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

diet

you can't spot reduce. The more weight you lose, the smaller they'll eventually get, until they're just down to muscle. Some people lose calf fat faster than others,
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce sadly :(

My thighs are 16 inches and I LOVE them. I get compliments all the time. No cankles for me. They're strong and there's not a lot of fat there.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My calves are 16 inches (down from 16.5 when I started). WHY do they take forever to get smaller!!! So annoying lol!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Are we measuring these standing up or sitting down btw?
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options

Then don't be "that guy." If you really hated to be him, you wouldn't be.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options

diet

you can't spot reduce. The more weight you lose, the smaller they'll eventually get, until they're just down to muscle. Some people lose calf fat faster than others,

I think you mean the more BF you lose, the smaller they'll get? I hope so anyway because I'm trying to get to <18% BF (21.5% at the moment).