Chicken, Chicken, and more Chicken!

Options

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED chicken :smile:

I've had the best success since giving up land animals, and I didn't even do it for weight loss!

Isn't a chicken technically a bird?

Do you ever see chickens flying around? :tongue: They live on the ground. Mass produced chickens are muck for your body, and spend their entire lives crammed into tiny pens in disgraceful conditions...its funny, when you stop eating them its hard to imagine seeing one chopped up on your plate covered in gravy!

My whole family eat chicken (has to be organic & free range though or I wont prepare it for them!)
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Hummus Crusted Chicken

1. Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Spread chicken with hummus; roll in bread crumbs.

3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 12 minutes or until no pink remains (170 degrees F), turning once. Add more oil, if needed. If crumbs brown too quickly, reduce heat. Serve with lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts (Hummus Crusted Chicken )
    Servings Per Recipe 4,Calories 491,Protein (gm) 43,Carbohydrate (gm) 35,Fat, total (gm) 20,Cholesterol (mg) 82,Saturated fat (gm) 3,Monosaturated fat (gm) 13,Polyunsaturated fat (gm) 3,Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 6,Sugar, total (gm) 2,Vitamin A (IU) 49,Vitamin C (mg) 8,Thiamin (mg) 0,Riboflavin (mg) 0,Niacin (mg) 17,Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,Folate (µg) 101,Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,Sodium (mg) 676,Potassium (mg) 714,Calcium (DV %) 101,Iron (DV %) 4,

I HATE chicken (I see it as a necessary evil) but, this recipe makes me want to try it, thanks!!
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    bump
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Stick some peanut butter on it!!!!! Satay Chicken treats

I love chicken and id eat it ALL DAY!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Mass produced chickens are muck for your body, and spend their entire lives crammed into tiny pens in disgraceful conditions...its funny, when you stop eating them its hard to imagine seeing one chopped up on your plate covered in gravy!

Good for you. But the board here was how to prepare chicken, not for you to tout your personal beleifs about not eating it. Probably have better luck preaching somewhere else....
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Some good recipes...I'll have to try a few. :smile:
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Chicken Salad.

Cut it into bite size pieces, cook it in a frying pan with some pam until done.... cover it in Franks Hot sauce and put it on top of a salad. I make a salad of roman lettuce, lots of celery and carrots, tomatoes, etc. Get a low fat ranch dressing or make your own with greek yogurt.

Cook a bunch of chicken breast in a crockpot, shred it. Make pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches. Chicken Shepherds Pie. Shredded chicken tacos. chicken veggie soup. I will do this when it's a busy week and just keep a container of shredded chicken in the fridge. Even works on salads, in pitas for sandwiches, etc.

Marinate it in an Italian dressing or Greek marinade for kebabs. Yum! A yogurt cumcumber sauce for a greek meal. I will do that with big slices of veggies for the grill.

Once again, for a busy week... I will grill up chicken, pork, etc. and cut it into cubes for the fridge. So when I only have a few minutes to fix dinner.... I have it. When I was single I did this a lot because I hated lighting up the grill for one piece of chicken or fish. So I would grill up three or four meals for the week.
  • cheesecakechick
    cheesecakechick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    www.epicurious.com
    www.allrecipes.com
    www.cook.com

i love chicken rolled in crushed french fried onions and baked..................
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I really don't care for chicken. I get burned out on it really easily.

That said, my brother-in-law makes the BEST chicken on Earth! He marinates it in olive oil and fajita seasoning and then grills it. It stays juicy and delicious for days! I have gotten him to grill an entire bag of chicken for me in the past and then I had food for the week. I need to do that again, actually.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat the chicken first, then the green peas, sometimes the other way, and on days I feel really frisky, I eat them together. Some days, not a lot of energy left, so I just rotate the plate 90 degrees.

:laugh:

I eat them with shake and bake, four choices....original, extra crispy, parmesan and Hot and Spicy. There is Ranch too but for me:noway: I'm going to try and vary the sides a bit though.
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    I love chicken too. I use a rice steamer but this is one of my favourite dishes:

Chicken with onion

Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
    Cooking time: 15 minutes
    Calories: 430 per serving

Rice:

¾ cup Basmati rice per person
    ¾ cup water per person
    Splash of sunflower oil

Sauce:

2 chicken breasts
    2 onions
    1 Chicken stock cube
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    ½ tsp Chinese five spice
    1 tbsp sherry
    1 tsp Sesame oil
    2 tbsp cornflower
    300/350ml COLD water
    Garlic to taste
    Ginger to taste
    1 tsp sunflower oil

1. Start cooking the rice in the rice steamer. Once the water has almost gone, turn it to the ‘warm’ setting, and stir occasionally.
    2. Cut up onions and the chicken and set aside.
    3. Put the cold water into a jug and crumble the stock cube and Chinese five spice and mix with a small whisk.
    4. Whilst mixing add the sherry and the soy sauce.
    5. Add the sesame oil.
    6. Once mixed, slowly add the cornflower ensuring there are no lumpy bits.
    7. Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan and when hot add the chicken.
    8. Before the chicken cooks completely and you can still see pink, add garlic and ginger.
    9. When the chicken cooked, add the onion and reduce the heat. The onion needs to be cooked but still fairly crunchy.
    10. Add the sauce mixture but keep the heat low, do not boil, and keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Pulled BBQ chicken

Throw chicken breasts in a crockpot with a bunch of water & spices -
    - sometimes I use a Good Seasons Italian dressing packet (the kind you normally mix with oil and vinegar for dressing) or a Lipton onion soup mix packet.
    - Salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and Garlic powder work just as well
    - if you have any leftover vegetables that are in danger of going to waste (I always seem to have half an onion laying around), throw those in too

Cook on low for 8 hours or high on 4. Pull out of the cooker and shred with forks or fingers. Mix in your favorite BBQ sauce
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    bump
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stick to lean meats and I do not eat seafood. Any suggestions on how to prepare chicken differently so its not the same thing every day?

ever thought about experimenting with asian dishes? Euro dishes, middleeastern... its really up to you to search for things you might find interesting because the ideas are truly endless...

We have this mexican place that serves a homemade Pollo Chile Relleno... totally amazing...
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    You don't NEED chicken :smile:

I've had the best success since giving up land animals, and I didn't even do it for weight loss!

Isn't a chicken technically a bird?

Do you ever see chickens flying around? :tongue: They live on the ground. Mass produced chickens are muck for your body, and spend their entire lives crammed into tiny pens in disgraceful conditions...its funny, when you stop eating them its hard to imagine seeing one chopped up on your plate covered in gravy!

My whole family eat chicken (has to be organic & free range though or I wont prepare it for them!)

MMmmmmmm Gravy...
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chicken recipes! keep them coming!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I cut strips.... soak in buttermilk for the day and then roll it in seasoned panko crumbs. Bake it. That's a great dinner for watching sports. Our local store has a Parmesan Herb Panko crumb mix that is tasty. Sometimes I add more Parm to it to give it a more cheesy taste.

If you want, add some hot sauce to the buttermilk. :)