If it fits in my daily calories...

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Mmmm nooooo ... that's not it.

(Here's a hint: telling people that are losing weight while still eating food they enjoy, at a reasonable portion, they aren't making healthy decisions? Wrong. Because weight loss in and of itself is making them healthier. Add in the fact that they are also likely doing multiple days a week of cardio? Healthier, still.)

There's more to health than pounds on a scale.

You do realize that most of us spend 90% of our time exercising and eating well right? Why berate someone for having an indulgence that fits perfectly fine in their calorie and macronutrient goals for the day?

NO one is forcing you to eat a pile of nachos every day, and what we are talking about is not going to Burger King or McDonald's all day long every day and staying under our calorie goals. Perspective goes a very long way.

You guys are using terms like "force" and I just don't understand why. If you really despise people who encourage people who are trying to lose weight to eat healthier foods MOST of the time, then I'm sorry. No one has the ability to force someone else to eat "their" way, it's not possible. No one is saying "never eat junk food". A lot of the argument that is in this thread is due to very black-or-white thinking that is so erroneous it's almost laughable. We all have our own paths to success. If ice cream is part of your daily diet, that's totally fine. I don't think you're unhealthy for it and I am not making a judgment about how healthy you are. But I think it's DOWNRIGHT IGNORANT to forget the fact that *what* you eat is as important, if not moreso, as *how much* you eat.

This is a direct contraditction to your first comment in this thread which is why people are confused about what your point is, me included now:

The "omg dont judge otha pplz" comments are coming from people who don't/won't/can't eat healthier. Look at the post "can I eat Burger King for breakfast" - Literally everyone in that thread says "go for it!!".

Sadly, this is not a site for people who want to eat healthier, it's dominated by people who eat 1200 calories worth of junk food who still lose weight.

You also said:
    I don't know anyone who eats clean 100% of the time. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to eat WELL MOST of the time.

EXACTLY what I just said and what everyone else has said this entire thread. You continue to disagree but I have no idea why since now you seem to agree ... again???

People on here are fully aware that there's more to being healthy than pounds on a scale. No one here is advocating a diet with junk food all day every day, and that is my point. I have no idea why you got so worked up about people saying it's fine to eat a little junk here and there as long as it's not something you do full time all the time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not all cheeseburgers are that unhealthy. You can make them at home and they're just fine.

So true. For the life of me I can't figure why anyone would spend the time and money to get a fast food burger when it's cheaper and faster to make a healthier, tastier and bigger burger (or taco, or sandwich, or wrap, or whatever) at home.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Pounds lost on a scale represent an increased measure of health. Minutes at the gym represent an increased measure in health. You don't have to eat lettuce grown under the sun reflected off a tropical rainbow to get your body an increased measure of health. True story.

Glad to know I had increased my health when I was eating 1200 cals a day on 100-calorie snack packs and fast food, working out 7 days a week, getting sick on a monthly basis, but saw pounds drop.

PS: I LOVE CHEESEBURGERS. I will not debate cheeseburgers.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    People asked why it bothers me... after reading through this thread, I have found my answer. It bothers me because its loaded with fat, sodium, cholesterol and who knows what else. If I never ate another burger in my life, I would be okay with that. Everyone is different. My topic was not "EVERYONE MUST FOLLOW WHAT I DO" It was my opinion. and I am pretty darn happy with the turn out.

Unfortunately, what you said bothered you was OTHER PEOPLE saying "if it fits in my calorie goal, I'll eat it." You most certainly were saying you believed everyone SHOULD "follow what you do." You DIDN'T say it bothered you to EAT those foods, but that it bothered you that OTHER PEOPLE ate them. You opinion is fine--so long as it applies ONLY to you.

Well if you are most certain...
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options

(Here's a hint: telling people that are losing weight while still eating food they enjoy, at a reasonable portion, they aren't making healthy decisions? Wrong. Because weight loss in and of itself is making them healthier. Add in the fact that they are also likely doing multiple days a week of cardio? Healthier, still.)

I don't believe weight loss in itself makes you healthier. I would like to see the cholesterol levels and blood pressure readings of the people losing weight by eating junk food (and I'm talking about daily junk food, not the occasional indulgence). I bet mine is lower even though I weigh more.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I don't believe weight loss in itself makes you healthier. I would like to see the cholesterol levels and blood pressure readings of the people losing weight by eating junk food (and I'm talking about daily junk food, not the occasional indulgence). I bet mine is lower even though I weigh more.

Yup.

You could be thin as a rail but have high cholesterol, glucose through the roof and lots of other health issues going on that you're not aware of.

Sure you're losing weight eating junk food but the havoc it's wreaking on your body just isn't worth it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

LOL yeah. I was 220 lbs with perfect bloodwork and blood pressure eating McDonald's, at least least 3500mg sodium, and 3000 calories of mostly junk food every day at my heaviest weight.

Furthermore, the whole "my bloodwork is perfect" argument only goes so far. The damage caused by obesity is long-term, not short term. So your point is well taken anyway since the long-term damage from consistently poor eating habits is more serious.

Again, no one is advocating eating McDonald's every single day. We are talking about a rare indulgence here. Again, perspective.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been fat a very long time. I have "dieted" many many many many times. I wouldn't let myself have those things that I like. No matter the REASON for me liking them, I like them. Since I did not allow room for them, I would get 10 lbs into it and get hangry and quit. I was still fat. This time, I am doing it differently. I am learning how to have my cake and eat it too. My labs have gone from "bad" to perfect. I am the smallest I have been since middle school. You know what I dont like? Kale. So, I dont eat it. I like burgers. I like fries. I like cupcakes. I had a cupcake last night. I made them with my daughter. She and I both really enjoyed them. Try and tell me I cant have a cupcake, I may just have to make a really really big one and proceed to bury a person in it.

Well said. Yesterday was a co-worker's birthday and there were cupcakes. I didn't have one because I had already eaten too much earlier, but if I hadn't I certainly would have had one of them. It's all about moderation and knowing what will and won't fit into your daily goals. I didn't get fat from eating M&M's and McDonald's french fries...I got fat from eating pounds of M&M's and super sized orders of McDonald's french fries.

This...a thousand times this!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Oh hells yeah. never thought about using pancetta on a burger. Why let that pesky water get in the way of all that salted pork fat goodness?
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This is why my diary will always be closed.

It stops rubbernecking.

^^^^^^THIS^^^ and judgementalism.. SMH..
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I love - just the healthy alternatives.... if i want a cheese burger - I use ground turkey... if i want pizza --- ditch the thick crust and go for the thin.

It's hard to eat healthy and to meat goals that I have set.

It doesn't bother me what someone else is eating - UNLESS it comes across as a "Oh I had a double cheese burger, large fry and a large non-diet coke... why can't i lose weight?" Then those people need to hit themselves in the face with a tire iron... but if they are shredded, have lost 30-40 lbs, are close to their goal weight - HAVE AT IT!

This makes the most sense. I think it's all about moderation. Some people can still eat half a pizza a week or have a glass of wine every night as long as they are working out and it's within their calorie in take. Others have to be more careful.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The question that comes to mind is Why would they eat it if they really knew how bad it was for their health?

It tastes good. Godiva chocolate cheesecake at Barnes and Noble is not good for my physical health. It will not help me lose weight or build muscle or give me any real nutrition.

But it tastes good and makes me happy. So I eat it. Sometimes.

And pizza, too. And if I hadn't gone veg a few years ago, I would also eat steak and cheeseburgers. And, really, when I ate those things, I was much thinner and I've always been healthy.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Really? Watch the documentary "Fat Head".
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually here to get healthy, I'm MASSIVELY shallow, I just want to look better. Healthiness is a side effect I guess.

Who wants to live forever? Not me. :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

LOL yeah. I was 220 lbs with perfect bloodwork and blood pressure eating McDonald's, at least least 3500mg sodium, and 3000 calories of mostly junk food every day at my heaviest weight.

At my thinnest, when I ate crap daily, I never saw my BP above 110/60 and my cholesterol was normal.

After two years of eating healthy and exercising, I was not as thin and my cholesterol was 300. My BP was still OK, though.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    hmm, I just have to wonder, how exactly does what other people are doing affect you and your journey? You should see my diary and then my progress pictures. You would be amazed at the transformation I made eating what I've eaten.

Yes i agree with this one. Why be bothered about what other people eat? Who cares? If they ask you for help that's one thing. Otherwise, it really doesn't have to do with you. You've probably got plenty of your own stuff to be bothered about!
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    is it healthy? no probably not..

will it effect your weight loss goal if you fit in your macros? no probably not..

it will also keep your sane if you enjoy mcdonalds.. personally i think mcdonalds is the grossest place to eat.. if i am going to eat fast food its harveys every time..
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

So a guy weighs 400 pounds last year. This year, said guy weighs, say, 250. He got there with moderation and time at the gym. That's all we know. Sure, we could do blood work. But I will bet my cheeseburger dinner he is healthier now than he was a year ago.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with op to some extent. I'm not proud of a few of the items in my diary - I wish it consisted more of fruit, veg and lean meats and less carbohydrates. I grew up in an African household, eating home made, quite healthy foods but in astronomical portions..and not getting nearly enough exercise so for me, my first step is to control my portion sizes and get active.

Getting healthy is step number two. Don't get me wrong, I'm making an effort to eat properly.. get my five-a-day etc. but at the moment I know I'm not in a place to dissect my diet and quantify all my macros and micros etc. (mostly because I'm still learning about a lot of these things) but I admit, I'm not really that interested in being anal about my food.
    Sometimes all I secretly want is to be that skinny lady who never has to think twice about what she eats (do they really exist btw?!)

Anyway, steps in the right direction are better than no steps at all.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Fit this among many other burgers into my cals

Double brie stuffed jucy lucys topped with more brie and pancetta

2012-01-10%25252018.11.37.jpg
    2012-01-10%25252018.12.25.jpg

Bump to get another look at that beautiful burger...