Options
    Fit this among many other burgers into my cals

Double brie stuffed jucy lucys topped with more brie and pancetta

2012-01-10%25252018.11.37.jpg
    2012-01-10%25252018.12.25.jpg
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP to an extent. I can see the logic for an occasional indulgence- if you simply have to have it, make it fit your calories, and it isn't so bad. But to justify long-term unhealthy eating so long as you don't go over your calories is delusional, to an extent. You'll still lose weight, but you won't feel as well as you could, and simply lowering your caloric intake doesn't make you healthy.
    There's a person I'm friends with on here with that perspective and it drives me nuts. If you want to lose large amounts of weight, eating fast food and drinking sodas every day is not a good way to get there. You may be able to do it, I'm not saying it's impossible... but you're really not doing yourself any favors.

Trust me, you are her "friend" in social network terms only, not an actual friend.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

HOLY MOTHER I would give my left foot for that hamburger
  • Margentine
    Margentine Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    2b287a273f54.gif
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with that. People who believe that they can lose weight on some magic supplement while eating whatever they want are hopeful at best, and complete idiots at worst -- but realistic people realize that getting healthy requires sacrifices. That doesn't mean that they should give up everything that brings them pleasure - in fact, I read an article that said that people were less likely to overindulge if they had a little of something on a regular basis (and, to be clear, a double burger is HARDLY "a little"). Knowing that you can eat your favorite food (be it ice cream or fried chicken) every once in a while AS LONG AS IT'S IN MODERATION is part of being a realistic dieter - and it's much better to plan out these indulgences so that they fit into the died, as opposed to accidentally going 1,000 calories over.

Another thing to keep in mind is how hard it is for us average people to stick to any diet, let alone one where there's no room to "slip up." I would never have lost my 37-and-counting pounds if I couldn't have a burger or some pasta and garlic bread every once in a while. Saying that I can't eat those things is ensuring that I will fail at my diet, if I even choose to start. These are unrealistc expectations for most people - and I'm not sure why that bothers you, but as others said, it shouldn't; it doesn't affect you in the least. However, if people were saying "hey, I'm eating deep-fried pork and Snickers bars three meals a day, and I just can't figure out why I'm not losing weight," then I would probably be a little annoyed by their stupidity. This is still a different situation than "I've been doing really good, but I've just gotta have a _______."

One more thing to consider is that my weight has come off almost entirely due to diet; the only exercise I get in an average MONTH is standing up part of the day at work. I never believed that I would be able to lose weight - especially so much - without even breaking a sweat. For me, simply cutting down on the calorie intake helped me lose a (fairly quick)18 pounds. Making healthier choices took off another 10 pounds. Keeping under my calorie goal for an extended period of time has taken care of the rest of my weight loss to date...which includes fitting in the occasional (but much needed) White Castle burgers or Chicago hot dog with everything on it. (By the way, I would also like to know where one might find a double burger for only 400 calories. It would make it a lot easier to fit them into my 1400 calories (or less) per day - and thinking about these things makes me crave them.)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    The question that comes to mind is Why would they eat it if they really knew how bad it was for their health?
    I mean moderation is key. I don't know you or your lifestyles and I don't look at peoples food journals and judge them either.
    Everyone has a reason behind why they ate what they ate. That is fine.. Just don't let the "excuses" get the best of you. We are all here for the same or similar reason(or at least that's what I thought).
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are mean.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Agreed. I can see the logic for an occasional indulgence- if you simply have to have it, make it fit your calories, and it isn't so bad. But to justify long-term unhealthy eating so long as you don't go over your calories is delusional, to an extent. You'll still lose weight, but you won't feel as well as you could, and simply lowering your caloric intake doesn't make you healthy.
    There's a person I'm friends with on here with that perspective and it drives me nuts. If you want to lose large amounts of weight, eating fast food and drinking sodas every day is not a good way to get there. You may be able to do it, I'm not saying it's impossible... but you're really not doing yourself any favors.

if it drives you nuts, DELETE said person..... problem solved.

Not so simple when you know them IRL. They know where I stand and we agree to disagree on that, but I still support her efforts. I just strongly feel she could be doing better. But as a lot of people in this thread have said, her perspective is that she can change the amounts she eats and get where she wants rather than not being able to eat the way she likes. /shrug. So we agree to disagree.

No doubt you drive her crazy with your judgmental ways as well.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

Mmmm nooooo ... that's not it.

(Here's a hint: telling people that are losing weight while still eating food they enjoy, at a reasonable portion, they aren't making healthy decisions? Wrong. Because weight loss in and of itself is making them healthier. Add in the fact that they are also likely doing multiple days a week of cardio? Healthier, still.)

There's more to health than pounds on a scale.

You do realize that most of us spend 90% of our time exercising and eating well right? Why berate someone for having an indulgence that fits perfectly fine in their calorie and macronutrient goals for the day?

NO one is forcing you to eat a pile of nachos every day, and what we are talking about is not going to Burger King or McDonald's all day long every day and staying under our calorie goals. Perspective goes a very long way.

You guys are using terms like "force" and I just don't understand why. If you really despise people who encourage people who are trying to lose weight to eat healthier foods MOST of the time, then I'm sorry. No one has the ability to force someone else to eat "their" way, it's not possible. No one is saying "never eat junk food". A lot of the argument that is in this thread is due to very black-or-white thinking that is so erroneous it's almost laughable. We all have our own paths to success. If ice cream is part of your daily diet, that's totally fine. I don't think you're unhealthy for it and I am not making a judgment about how healthy you are. But I think it's DOWNRIGHT IGNORANT to forget the fact that *what* you eat is as important, if not moreso, as *how much* you eat.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    this thread makes me crave cheeseburgers....

...it's SO UNFAIR when people on MFP start SABOTAGING ME
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    The question that comes to mind is Why would they eat it if they really knew how bad it was for their health?
    I mean moderation is key. I don't know you or your lifestyles and I don't look at peoples food journals and judge them either.
    Everyone has a reason behind why they ate what they ate. That is fine.. Just don't let the "excuses" get the best of you. We are all here for the same or similar reason(or at least that's what I thought).

You answered your own question: "MODERATION IS KEY".

I use no excuses and am healthier now that I've put on weight and lost body fat than I have been in years, certainly moreso than when I weighed 100 pounds and had a body fat percentage of 24%. I eat a ton more now, mostly healthy and clean, but do not exclude anything from my lifestyle, until I have to for training.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

(Here's a hint: telling people that are losing weight while still eating food they enjoy, at a reasonable portion, they aren't making healthy decisions? Wrong. Because weight loss in and of itself is making them healthier. Add in the fact that they are also likely doing multiple days a week of cardio? Healthier, still.)

Pounds lost on a scale represent an increased measure of health. Minutes at the gym represent an increased measure in health. You don't have to eat lettuce grown under the sun reflected off a tropical rainbow to get your body an increased measure of health. True story.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    "...but if this is a daily or weekly occurrence"

What's wrong with splurging on a weekly basis? I'm not going to give up eating out on the weekends and beers to please people like you that are "bothered" by what I do with my own body lol. I've been splurging every single week since I started losing weight and have enjoyed every minute of it. Last time I checked, it's more important to make a lifestyle change rather than deprive yourself of the things you love. If someone wants to eat a small piece of cake every night within their calorie budget, so be it. Those things keep people on track and avoid a possible dieting/deprivation melt down in the future.

I think I'll have a beer tonight.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    this is how I look at my daily caloric intake.

I. I fill my macros (protein, fats and carbs) from whole food sources when possible, I may have a protein shake from time to time.
    2. If calories remain after macro requirements are met, eat whatever the hell I want but stay within my calorie goals
    3. give zero f***s as to what anyone else does, or what any thinks about what I do.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat a burger....make it a REAL burger, not some skimpyassed cardboard POS. And plan for it...like me

nugget-diner---awful-awful_0326-rsaake.jpg

Can I has cheeseburger?!!!!

OMG I want one. I think I'll have one on Friday night after my kick-*kitten* karate class... mmm hmmm
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    You don't have to eat lettuce grown under the sun reflected off a tropical rainbow to get your body an increased measure of health. True story.

This is fantastic.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I think they could stand side by side and yell equally loud
  • FitLink
    Options

Can you read? HEALTHIER! Many peoples' goals are to be healthIER, and losing weight, in and of itself, does indeed make one healthIER. Cardio X3/week? EVEN healtIER!.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    eating a burger and fries if you like it and still staying on track: normal.

end of story.

It depends on how many calories that person has for the day mind. If they are on something like 1200 calories, burger and chips will leave very little room for other meals: normal.

Remembering that it comes down to net.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

invite me over for dinner . . . please? pretty please? Just wait until Friday.